Do cats taste sweet?

Breed: Mix
Dr. Marie,

This is really more of a general question than a question about my pet in general...I was reading about cats on Wikipedia and the article for cats states:

"An interesting example of a mutation that is shared among all felines, including the big cats, is a mutant chemosensor in their taste buds that prevents them from tasting sweetness, which may explain their indifference to fruits, berries, and other sugary foods."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat

I thought this made sense, since cats are carnivores and have no benefit to tasting sweetness, but a friend called BS, citing the common statement that cats are prone to drinking antifreeze because it tastes sweet.

So, I was wondering if you could help us with this question: Do cats in fact taste sweetness and if not, why are they attracted to ethylene glycol?

Andrew

What a GREAT question!

I did some looking for you and found this article:

Do cats taste sweet?

The article shows that cats do not have sweet receptors and so they can't taste sweet.

I think it is a common misbelief that animals drink antifreeze because it is sweet. No one has actually proven that this is true. Many vets (myself inlcuded) believe that animals will drink antifreeze because they mistake it for water. Also, if an animal is out in the cold and all of the normal sources of water are frozen, then a puddle of antifreeze would look like a welcome source of water.

Some cats can ingest antifreeze if they walk through it and then groom themselves.

Thanks for a great question!

Wheezing then died. We adopted a cat from a family that could not keep him any longer because they just... (7424 views)

IVDD in dog. My dog Basil woke up this morning and would not jump off of the bed, go down steps,... (11847 views)

Vaccinate for parvo before 6 weeks? We have a litter of labrador puppies. They are 5 and 1/2 weeks old. Can we... (8703 views)

Yellow skin and urine. My cat has been lethargic for about two weeks. Last week I noticed her Urine was... (11612 views)

Should we euthanize? Hershey was diagnosed with lymphoma today. He has two large swollen nodes under his... (13931 views)

Limping cat. We have an outside cat who is about 12 years old. Up until recently she has looked... (7694 views)

Pink spot on dog. I noticed on my dog about a month ago he had a small pink raised bump on his chest... (25938 views)

Why use jugular vein? Why would my vet take blood out of the neck (jugler (?) vein)? In most cases I've... (17189 views)

Cushings and cataracts. Our Little Jack Russell is 15 years old. He is blind from cataracts. And now the vet... (12684 views)

Dog's urine smells unusual. A few days ago I noticed that my dog's urine smells a bit strong. I can't really... (134828 views)