Do cats taste sweet?

Breed: Mix
Dr. Marie,

This is really more of a general question than a question about my pet in general...I was reading about cats on Wikipedia and the article for cats states:

"An interesting example of a mutation that is shared among all felines, including the big cats, is a mutant chemosensor in their taste buds that prevents them from tasting sweetness, which may explain their indifference to fruits, berries, and other sugary foods."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat

I thought this made sense, since cats are carnivores and have no benefit to tasting sweetness, but a friend called BS, citing the common statement that cats are prone to drinking antifreeze because it tastes sweet.

So, I was wondering if you could help us with this question: Do cats in fact taste sweetness and if not, why are they attracted to ethylene glycol?

Andrew

What a GREAT question!

I did some looking for you and found this article:

Do cats taste sweet?

The article shows that cats do not have sweet receptors and so they can't taste sweet.

I think it is a common misbelief that animals drink antifreeze because it is sweet. No one has actually proven that this is true. Many vets (myself inlcuded) believe that animals will drink antifreeze because they mistake it for water. Also, if an animal is out in the cold and all of the normal sources of water are frozen, then a puddle of antifreeze would look like a welcome source of water.

Some cats can ingest antifreeze if they walk through it and then groom themselves.

Thanks for a great question!

Diabetic cat with seizures. I've inherited a diabetic cat with a history of seizures. Since bringing him home,... (24082 views)

Vulvar tumor thank you for your reply to my first question about my cat who died from a vulval... (10184 views)

Is my cat pregnant? How can I tell if my cat is pregnant? She has a big belly and I want to know if... (13121 views)

Not using litter box. All of a sudden my cat, has decided to use her litterbox to urinate only. She will... (11757 views)

Matts on my cat I have a long hair cat with alot of matted hair. I also got L'oreal tangle tamer for... (9778 views)

Low protein and leaking urine. A German Shepherd mix, approximately 4-6 years old, was dropped off and we started... (8130 views)

Tick part left in dog? I have just recently removed a tickt from my dog from just above his eye how do I... (10277 views)

Allergic to grass? My dog has a rash on his belly that has red whelps. Itches a lot. Licking and... (19886 views)

Is pinkeye contagious to pets? My husband just contracted pink eye. Is it possible for him to spread it to our dog... (32183 views)

Coughing and sneezing dog. I have a three month old teacup Yorkie. He had a check up last week and got his... (31582 views)