Do cats taste sweet?

Breed: Mix
Dr. Marie,

This is really more of a general question than a question about my pet in general...I was reading about cats on Wikipedia and the article for cats states:

"An interesting example of a mutation that is shared among all felines, including the big cats, is a mutant chemosensor in their taste buds that prevents them from tasting sweetness, which may explain their indifference to fruits, berries, and other sugary foods."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat

I thought this made sense, since cats are carnivores and have no benefit to tasting sweetness, but a friend called BS, citing the common statement that cats are prone to drinking antifreeze because it tastes sweet.

So, I was wondering if you could help us with this question: Do cats in fact taste sweetness and if not, why are they attracted to ethylene glycol?

Andrew

What a GREAT question!

I did some looking for you and found this article:

Do cats taste sweet?

The article shows that cats do not have sweet receptors and so they can't taste sweet.

I think it is a common misbelief that animals drink antifreeze because it is sweet. No one has actually proven that this is true. Many vets (myself inlcuded) believe that animals will drink antifreeze because they mistake it for water. Also, if an animal is out in the cold and all of the normal sources of water are frozen, then a puddle of antifreeze would look like a welcome source of water.

Some cats can ingest antifreeze if they walk through it and then groom themselves.

Thanks for a great question!

Is this lump cancer? I noticed yesterday that my babe has a lump about the size of a kiwi on her bottom... (14755 views)

Sores on dog's nose. Dr. Marie- Our dog has been breaking out in sore/boil/blister type bumps on his... (78999 views)

Time for euthanasia? My 19 year old cat has been ill for some time. For many years I have had to help... (5909 views)

Mast cell tumor. Dear Dr. Marie: My dog, Jammy, has had a small lump near her neck that filled up... (10119 views)

Lentigo on a daschund. Dear Dr. Marie, I just recently discovered these black dots on my dogs chest when... (35095 views)

Anal sac problems. When I cane home form work I noticed that my dog was bleeding from her anus. I took... (66231 views)

Bumps over dog's body. My pug is having dry bumps on his body.. It's not paining him but yeah it's bit... (7789 views)

Bassett with swollen eyes. I have a 5 year old bassett whos eye swelled up quite a bit this morning. We took... (13151 views)

Did Frontline Fail? I found a flea (or what I thought it was a flea about 2 months ago. I remembered I... (4783 views)

Increase dog's phenobarb? Hi Marie, My 10 yr old Jack Russell Terrier has been a seizure dog for about 4... (16770 views)