Red bumps on belly.

Breed: Cavalier King Charle
My Cavalier King Charles Spaniel has a few red bumps on his belly(mostly around his scar from being nuetered). He is itching and licking a lot. He is shedding quite a bit all over, but his coat is healthy and he has no dry skin at all. I am planning to take him to the vet, but am wondering if there is anything I can try at home first to see if we can clear it up on our own.

Hi and thanks for your question about Bailey.

It's always hard to address skin problems online but I can give you a few ideas.

There is a possibility that Bailey has a skin infection. Often we don't know why dogs get these. They almost always need a few weeks of oral antibiotics in order to clear this up.

It is also possible that these are mosquito bites. If you think this is the case, he may get some relief by using polysporin or neosporin cream on the areas.

But, if they are not going away, or seem to be spreading then you will need to see your vet for proper treatment.

I hope he feels better soon!

Dog bleeding from nose and died. This might seem unnecessary and irrelevant now, but maybe even shedding a little... (80054 views)

Vomiting and bloody stool. We just took a trip, and on the last day away our dog began throwing up. We have... (18085 views)

Seizures and vomiting. Sunday 11 pm to midnight Klyde had his first gran mal seizure during which he... (48147 views)

Can't get rid of fleas. Lately my dog has been non stop scratching and biting his skin. His skin becomes... (10279 views)

Can a spayed cat get pregnant? OK its OK if you don't answer but be for you look away please im 12 and my cat is... (25433 views)

Kitten not pooping. Hi Dr. Marie. I recently just brought a young kitten home and he is probably 4... (13581 views)

21 year old cat is dying. THIS IS URGENt, BUT I DON'T HAVE 15.00 RIGHT NOW!! i THINK MY 21 YEAR OLD CAT IS... (15313 views)

Increased thirst and urination. Hi Dr. Marie, This question concerns crystals in urine. Starting about 1 week... (6748 views)

Not putting weight on leg. Our cat jumped off the fridge and did something to his back leg. He limps now. When... (14714 views)

Kitten died after anesthetic. Dear Dr. Marie, We are heartbroken. Our 5 MONTH old spyhnx kitten passed away... (11468 views)