Runny soft stools.

Breed: black lab
Rocky is 7 weeks old, has been eating the same food and now his feces has become really soft and runny. He is not acting any diffrent than normal. Is there something I can give him and what should I do?

Hi Barbara...thanks for your question.

There are a number of things that can cause a young pup to have soft stools. The first thing I would consider is giving him a general dewormer. It is very common for puppies to have roundworms and this can cause diarrhea. In most places, dewormer is available without a prescription at a pet store.

However, if the pup starts to be vomiting, not wanting to eat and lethargic then a vet visit will be necessary as pups don't have a lot of reserves to fight against dehydration.

It would be a good idea to have your vet do some lab tests on a fecal sample to look for parasites that are not taken care of by regular dewormers such as coccidia or giardia.

If Rocky is getting sicker and is vomiting we may need to be concerned about parvo virus which can be very serious.

For now, if he is bright and eating well I would not change anything in his diet. I would try the dewormer and see how things go. If he doesn't get better in 48 hours or so (or if he is getting worse) then he may need to see the vet.

Hope he does ok!

Supraglan for Cushing's? My dog was recently diagnosed with Cushing's disease. He has been drinking a lot of... (14929 views)

Renal failure. Dear Dr. Marie, My 10 year old Yorkie Bobo has been diagnosed with chronic kidney... (12978 views)

Why did 15 year old dog die? Hello, My dog was 15 years old and she just recently died last thursday. My mother... (13422 views)

Cat attacked by dogs. We have 5 dogs and 4 cats (mostly rescues) who have grown up together and have... (27940 views)

Swelling above dog's eye. This morning I noticed redness and swelling of my dog's upper eyelid. I gave him one... (25803 views)

Dog ate moldy corn. My 4 month old, 20 lb. standard poodle may have eaten very moldy creamed corn from a... (42868 views)

Is my dog pregnant? i was woke up this morning mu my female pup crying and yelping. so i found her... (13777 views)

Training blind dog. My rottweiler is blind and does not like to go outside. If I put her on a leash and... (8442 views)

Dog eats grapes. Hi. I live in rural Peru and have three dogs. I am writing regarding the oldest who... (4825 views)

Sore after shots. This past Sunday my husband gave our 2 dogs their yearly shots. Our 1 dog is now... (17638 views)