Runny soft stools.

Breed: black lab
Rocky is 7 weeks old, has been eating the same food and now his feces has become really soft and runny. He is not acting any diffrent than normal. Is there something I can give him and what should I do?

Hi Barbara...thanks for your question.

There are a number of things that can cause a young pup to have soft stools. The first thing I would consider is giving him a general dewormer. It is very common for puppies to have roundworms and this can cause diarrhea. In most places, dewormer is available without a prescription at a pet store.

However, if the pup starts to be vomiting, not wanting to eat and lethargic then a vet visit will be necessary as pups don't have a lot of reserves to fight against dehydration.

It would be a good idea to have your vet do some lab tests on a fecal sample to look for parasites that are not taken care of by regular dewormers such as coccidia or giardia.

If Rocky is getting sicker and is vomiting we may need to be concerned about parvo virus which can be very serious.

For now, if he is bright and eating well I would not change anything in his diet. I would try the dewormer and see how things go. If he doesn't get better in 48 hours or so (or if he is getting worse) then he may need to see the vet.

Hope he does ok!

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Robaxin and Metacam. Rocky has been having back pain for over a week now. He's had this problem before... (15220 views)

Does Pet Calm Work? Dr. Marie My Bobbie has serious trembling normally during the evning and night.... (10645 views)

Swollen lip My cat gets frequent and sudden swelling on her face (her bottom lip usually but... (11408 views)

Allergic reaction to vaccines. He just got all his shots this morning and has been vomiting since and his face is... (10046 views)

Swollen throat. over night my dogs thropat and cheeks have swallon really bad (looks like a hamster... (19999 views)

Benadryl for swollen snout? my dogs face around the snout has become swollen not sure why but im guessing its... (17999 views)

Peeing on clothes. My old cat seems to be healthy, he eats well, is blind in one eye but that doesn't... (4456 views)

Losing weight, not eating. My 16 yr old cat has not been eating and losing weight. The vet has done bloodwork,... (35162 views)

Papilloma Virus. My seven month old puppy developed papilloma virus warts on his lips and then his... (19546 views)

Wobbly drooling kitten. I have a 6 month old tabby and a few days ago he started walking almost bow legged... (10351 views)