Runny soft stools.

Breed: black lab
Rocky is 7 weeks old, has been eating the same food and now his feces has become really soft and runny. He is not acting any diffrent than normal. Is there something I can give him and what should I do?

Hi Barbara...thanks for your question.

There are a number of things that can cause a young pup to have soft stools. The first thing I would consider is giving him a general dewormer. It is very common for puppies to have roundworms and this can cause diarrhea. In most places, dewormer is available without a prescription at a pet store.

However, if the pup starts to be vomiting, not wanting to eat and lethargic then a vet visit will be necessary as pups don't have a lot of reserves to fight against dehydration.

It would be a good idea to have your vet do some lab tests on a fecal sample to look for parasites that are not taken care of by regular dewormers such as coccidia or giardia.

If Rocky is getting sicker and is vomiting we may need to be concerned about parvo virus which can be very serious.

For now, if he is bright and eating well I would not change anything in his diet. I would try the dewormer and see how things go. If he doesn't get better in 48 hours or so (or if he is getting worse) then he may need to see the vet.

Hope he does ok!

Bumps on schnauzer. Hi Dr. Marie, Firstly, I'd like to thank you for this very valuable, yet... (28804 views)

Urinating in house. Bella has started urinating in places other than her litter box. She has not been... (5178 views)

Ear swollen like balloon. My dog has a large swelling on her ear that looks like a balloon. She is shaking... (27360 views)

Mycoplasma in rats. Hi, my name is Ann and I have two rats, Pinky and Roc. Unfortunately, one has... (10913 views)

Lavender plant bad for dogs and cats? Hi Dr. Marie, Can you tell me if a lavender plant is toxic to cats and dogs? I... (57389 views)

Possible brain tumor. We would like your opinion on whether we were right in putting Barney to... (19785 views)

Cushings and cataracts. Our Little Jack Russell is 15 years old. He is blind from cataracts. And now the vet... (13609 views)

Tug of war caused hernia? Can playing tug of war with a male dog cause a... (5408 views)

Excessive drooling. My Puggle started drooling a few days ago and I assumed she had gotten a red ant or... (22980 views)

Rubs his nose in vomit. A couple of times in the last few weeks, Atka has gotten sick to his stomach and... (10929 views)