Runny soft stools.

Breed: black lab
Rocky is 7 weeks old, has been eating the same food and now his feces has become really soft and runny. He is not acting any diffrent than normal. Is there something I can give him and what should I do?

Hi Barbara...thanks for your question.

There are a number of things that can cause a young pup to have soft stools. The first thing I would consider is giving him a general dewormer. It is very common for puppies to have roundworms and this can cause diarrhea. In most places, dewormer is available without a prescription at a pet store.

However, if the pup starts to be vomiting, not wanting to eat and lethargic then a vet visit will be necessary as pups don't have a lot of reserves to fight against dehydration.

It would be a good idea to have your vet do some lab tests on a fecal sample to look for parasites that are not taken care of by regular dewormers such as coccidia or giardia.

If Rocky is getting sicker and is vomiting we may need to be concerned about parvo virus which can be very serious.

For now, if he is bright and eating well I would not change anything in his diet. I would try the dewormer and see how things go. If he doesn't get better in 48 hours or so (or if he is getting worse) then he may need to see the vet.

Hope he does ok!

Not eating, panting. Dear Dr. Marie, I have three dogs all together. Daisy is the alpha of the group.... (12460 views)

Dog with masticatory myositis. hi my dog has had masticatory myositis last jan and again in april and now has it... (8917 views)

Large black mole on dog. Hi Dr. Marie, I’m kind of worried because my dog, a Labrador retriever he has... (28722 views)

Renal lymphoma? my cat just had dental surgery. After about a week I noticed she was still listless... (22504 views)

Cat can't meow. This morning my 9-yr old female indoor cat, Ally, can't meow (she's always very... (115397 views)

Puppy vomiting with blood. my puppy was born on december 18, she was born a normal pup but now she and her... (7325 views)

Paralyzed back legs. about a day ago,my dog stop using his bottom part of is body,like she paralyzed,and... (10292 views)

Sick shih tzu Hello, I have a question about my 2 and a half year old shit-zu. yesterday, after... (13648 views)

Tumor on a guinea pig. Hi Marie, My daughter's 14 month old guinea pig has a tumor with a thick, scaly... (11048 views)

Blood in urine. I have taken my dog to 2 vets, and had numerous tests. I noticed she was peeing... (3636 views)