Biting at cysts.

Breed: cocker
I have a 13 yr old cocker who has a lot of fatty cysts, she has had them for several years, in the last month she has started biting and scratching them until they are raw. The area around them is becoming crusty and flaking. She is and has been on Hills Science diet WD Canine both canned and dry for several years now. In the last six months she has lost 1.5Kg. Should I be worried. Thank you

Sorry to hear that Maggie is uncomfortable like this.

This is a tough one for me to answer without seeing your dog. If all of the cysts are bothering her though it's possible that she has some skin infection. The way you have described the crusting and flaking, this is really common with skin infections.

If this is an infection, they almost always need antibiotics prescribed by the vet in order to clear up.

I am a little concerned about the weight loss over the last few months. When I see this is an older dog I do get concerned that there may be some type of disease present.

It would be a great idea to have your vet take a look at Maggie and do some blood tests to see how she is doing.

Hope she is ok!

Large lymph nodes in a cat. My cat Miko seems to have swollen lymph nodes under her neck. They've been like that... (42733 views)

Bump in dog's mouth. My dog was taken for a walk her ball went under a car, she retreived her ball... (7695 views)

Debris on cat's eye. Good afternoon! My cat seems to be having eye issues. 6 months ago I took her to... (12388 views)

Infection in nose and eye. HI, My dog Bear is 10 yr old black Lab. He weighs 110lb he is overweight, but he is... (7944 views)

Give thyroid medicine? Hi there, I live in a remote northern community and we do not have a vet here. My... (7319 views)

Clindamycin overdose? I have been caring for Sox, a feral. Awhile back Sox started coughing on and off... (8010 views)

Liver shunt or MVD Hello Dr. Maria. I have a 6 month old male Dachshund. He went in to get a neuter... (13232 views)

Good appetite in blind deaf cat. my cat is over 15 years old she is partially blind and deaf she misses her litterbox... (7885 views)

Sore ears. 6 months ago my Scottish terrier came down with swelling and fluid on right side of... (6497 views)

Cold paws and sore belly. My cat is in really bad shape, at first, she was really bloated and meowed in pain... (10971 views)