Biting at cysts.

Breed: cocker
I have a 13 yr old cocker who has a lot of fatty cysts, she has had them for several years, in the last month she has started biting and scratching them until they are raw. The area around them is becoming crusty and flaking. She is and has been on Hills Science diet WD Canine both canned and dry for several years now. In the last six months she has lost 1.5Kg. Should I be worried. Thank you

Sorry to hear that Maggie is uncomfortable like this.

This is a tough one for me to answer without seeing your dog. If all of the cysts are bothering her though it's possible that she has some skin infection. The way you have described the crusting and flaking, this is really common with skin infections.

If this is an infection, they almost always need antibiotics prescribed by the vet in order to clear up.

I am a little concerned about the weight loss over the last few months. When I see this is an older dog I do get concerned that there may be some type of disease present.

It would be a great idea to have your vet take a look at Maggie and do some blood tests to see how she is doing.

Hope she is ok!

Profender and pregnant women. Hi there Dr. Marie This isn't a direct question about an animal but I'm wondering... (8329 views)

Do dogs get sciatica? Hi, about three weeks ago zues' back legs seemed week and clumsy and he was dripping... (13606 views)

Guinea pig lifespan. Hi! Just wanna know, whats the life span of a guinea... (8190 views)

Too young for euthanasia? Is there an age too young for... (5322 views)

What kind of dog to get? My dog Toby died at the age of 14 2 moths ago.Me and my family r looking 4 a new... (6911 views)

Black spot on side of hamster. My hamster is about 2 years old and has always had a black spot on the right side of... (38608 views)

Mucus in kitten's eyes. I found a kittin this moring it appeared to have mucus around the eyes and nose. I... (24557 views)

Polysporin on cats? My cat is 21 years old. I HAVE had her to the vet 3 times now with open sores on... (63445 views)

Vomiting and congested. Got a new kitten Older cat now is throwing up saliva in its mouth and has now... (19493 views)

Hot spot on head. My dog has a raw spot on the top of his head that looks like a hotspot. He has... (7209 views)