Biting at cysts.

Breed: cocker
I have a 13 yr old cocker who has a lot of fatty cysts, she has had them for several years, in the last month she has started biting and scratching them until they are raw. The area around them is becoming crusty and flaking. She is and has been on Hills Science diet WD Canine both canned and dry for several years now. In the last six months she has lost 1.5Kg. Should I be worried. Thank you

Sorry to hear that Maggie is uncomfortable like this.

This is a tough one for me to answer without seeing your dog. If all of the cysts are bothering her though it's possible that she has some skin infection. The way you have described the crusting and flaking, this is really common with skin infections.

If this is an infection, they almost always need antibiotics prescribed by the vet in order to clear up.

I am a little concerned about the weight loss over the last few months. When I see this is an older dog I do get concerned that there may be some type of disease present.

It would be a great idea to have your vet take a look at Maggie and do some blood tests to see how she is doing.

Hope she is ok!

Cloudy eye with blood. My dog has what seemed to be pink eye but the blood has seeped into the iris. There... (8499 views)

Lab has a lump on his muzzle. We took our 2 1/2 year old female lab to Bradshaw Vet for a lump on her muzzle. I... (11489 views)

Snorted out vaccine. Hello Dr. Marie....Rianna had her booster for Bordatella first of October..she has... (9174 views)

Brown bugs on my dog. I got a new dog, a crossbreed of Pomeranian and Chihuahua, and I discovered... (8780 views)

Dog unable to move. d help. My dog won't move at all. We got home around 435 this afternoon and she ate... (64581 views)

Bump after fight. My dog got attacked by another dog 4 days ago during a walk. The other dog was on a... (82840 views)

Flea Allergy Hello Shelby has two to three spots that she has been licking and chewing on by... (11448 views)

Sniffling, sneezing cat. For the past two days our cat has been constantly sniffling and sneezing and has... (56095 views)

Kitten is bleeding from vagina. since ive got my kitten she has been crying alot, ive noticed her bleeding aswell... (14120 views)

Grief after dog's death. I need your help, please... for peace of mind so I can sleep and live with myself. ... (9742 views)