Biting at cysts.

Breed: cocker
I have a 13 yr old cocker who has a lot of fatty cysts, she has had them for several years, in the last month she has started biting and scratching them until they are raw. The area around them is becoming crusty and flaking. She is and has been on Hills Science diet WD Canine both canned and dry for several years now. In the last six months she has lost 1.5Kg. Should I be worried. Thank you

Sorry to hear that Maggie is uncomfortable like this.

This is a tough one for me to answer without seeing your dog. If all of the cysts are bothering her though it's possible that she has some skin infection. The way you have described the crusting and flaking, this is really common with skin infections.

If this is an infection, they almost always need antibiotics prescribed by the vet in order to clear up.

I am a little concerned about the weight loss over the last few months. When I see this is an older dog I do get concerned that there may be some type of disease present.

It would be a great idea to have your vet take a look at Maggie and do some blood tests to see how she is doing.

Hope she is ok!

Stop puppy from biting. How can I stop my puppy from biting me? I don't want to give her up but she is... (10309 views)

Guinea pig-Scab and itchy. my guinea pig is scratching a sore what is wrong with... (11807 views)

Dog ate duck bones. Hi Dr. Marie, Poppy nipped one piece of cooked duck wing bone 2 days ago at lunch... (42770 views)

Tough upper respiratory infection. We picked up Indigo from a breeder on June 13th. He sneezed occasionally throughout... (29367 views)

Aural Hematoma my 12 yr old italian greyhound's ear is puffy. not the inner ear but the ear itself.... (12109 views)

Dog is obsessively licking at things. Hello. I have a question about my dog. I think she's experienced some tummy... (10351 views)

High lipase and triglycerides. Hi Dr. Marie I am following up with you regarding Oreo's Vacuolar Hepatopathy... (8512 views)

Wobbly lab. Hello - About 4 weeks ago, Koda started acting very stiff around his neck so we... (16298 views)

Did convenia cause death? Dear Dr. Marie, My beloved pet has died just seven days after receiving a shot of... (14266 views)

Lump on paw pad. Hi Dr. Marie! Baileys is a patient of yours at Beechwood Animal Hospital. We were... (47439 views)