Biting at cysts.

Breed: cocker
I have a 13 yr old cocker who has a lot of fatty cysts, she has had them for several years, in the last month she has started biting and scratching them until they are raw. The area around them is becoming crusty and flaking. She is and has been on Hills Science diet WD Canine both canned and dry for several years now. In the last six months she has lost 1.5Kg. Should I be worried. Thank you

Sorry to hear that Maggie is uncomfortable like this.

This is a tough one for me to answer without seeing your dog. If all of the cysts are bothering her though it's possible that she has some skin infection. The way you have described the crusting and flaking, this is really common with skin infections.

If this is an infection, they almost always need antibiotics prescribed by the vet in order to clear up.

I am a little concerned about the weight loss over the last few months. When I see this is an older dog I do get concerned that there may be some type of disease present.

It would be a great idea to have your vet take a look at Maggie and do some blood tests to see how she is doing.

Hope she is ok!

Blood from bum. Her butt was bleeding bad (out of the hole), the blood was thick and bright red. I... (22327 views)

Swollen vulva. My dog was in heat a few months ago and her vagina is still swollen. What shouldI... (39080 views)

Seizures due to brain tumor? Hello I have a 9 year old standard poodle (neutured) that has had a seizure episode... (21193 views)

Lumps all over body. Hello, I have a 6 year old italian grey hound. Before he was very very active and... (38137 views)

Lump on dog's leg. Hi Dr. Marie! Spanky is 5 years old and very healthy. His energy is good and, as... (44220 views)

Strong smelling urine. i have a male cat an recently his urine has become very strong, he hasnt been done... (13450 views)

Pregnant cat in heat? I thought Clhoe was pregnant , she went into (Heat)a month ago and was seen being...... (17451 views)

Hungry and losing weight. Our 17 year old indoor cat, one of two from the same litter, has always been skinny,... (15277 views)

Breeding big and small dogs. My little girl--weight 11 lbs-- got possibly impregnated (accicdentally--he broke... (79842 views)

Tumor in belly. I recently discovered my 13 year old cat has a probably cancerous mass growing in... (9318 views)