Biting at cysts.

Breed: cocker
I have a 13 yr old cocker who has a lot of fatty cysts, she has had them for several years, in the last month she has started biting and scratching them until they are raw. The area around them is becoming crusty and flaking. She is and has been on Hills Science diet WD Canine both canned and dry for several years now. In the last six months she has lost 1.5Kg. Should I be worried. Thank you

Sorry to hear that Maggie is uncomfortable like this.

This is a tough one for me to answer without seeing your dog. If all of the cysts are bothering her though it's possible that she has some skin infection. The way you have described the crusting and flaking, this is really common with skin infections.

If this is an infection, they almost always need antibiotics prescribed by the vet in order to clear up.

I am a little concerned about the weight loss over the last few months. When I see this is an older dog I do get concerned that there may be some type of disease present.

It would be a great idea to have your vet take a look at Maggie and do some blood tests to see how she is doing.

Hope she is ok!

Do dogs have panic attacks? In the past two weeks, Bambi has a kind of panic attack to me. She was panting and... (7913 views)

Strong urine odor. Over the past few months my dogs urine has started smelling really strongly, to the... (61862 views)

High ALKP and bile acids. Hi Dr. Marie I value your opinion so much and I do respect and understand that... (17449 views)

Bassett hound freaks out Our dog is healthy and happy, usually. He's been to the vet once per year to get his... (8616 views)

Eating grass and vomiting. Bleu has always been a resilient dog with now health problems, but over the last... (20044 views)

Puppy with diarrhea. Hi, My puppy won't eat and has a soft mushy stool. I just got him Yesterday. Could... (9090 views)

Cat losing fur on belly. Over the past month my eldest cat has lost a lot of her fur on her belly and back... (82667 views)

Older dog won't eat. My dog is a mutt, 14yrs old, and has been acting strangely as of late. She doesn't... (11845 views)

Cancer or infection? My dog recently completed radiation therapy for a brain tumor and he handled the... (6316 views)

Morning after pill for dogs? Is there a "morning after pill" for dogs? ... (29552 views)