Biting at cysts.

Breed: cocker
I have a 13 yr old cocker who has a lot of fatty cysts, she has had them for several years, in the last month she has started biting and scratching them until they are raw. The area around them is becoming crusty and flaking. She is and has been on Hills Science diet WD Canine both canned and dry for several years now. In the last six months she has lost 1.5Kg. Should I be worried. Thank you

Sorry to hear that Maggie is uncomfortable like this.

This is a tough one for me to answer without seeing your dog. If all of the cysts are bothering her though it's possible that she has some skin infection. The way you have described the crusting and flaking, this is really common with skin infections.

If this is an infection, they almost always need antibiotics prescribed by the vet in order to clear up.

I am a little concerned about the weight loss over the last few months. When I see this is an older dog I do get concerned that there may be some type of disease present.

It would be a great idea to have your vet take a look at Maggie and do some blood tests to see how she is doing.

Hope she is ok!

Why is hamster quiet? what's wrong with my hamster... had her out for half an hour and she just lay on my... (17893 views)

Will I be forced to euthanize? Hello, i have a 14 year old pit bull/bull mastiff mix (50-60 lb and on the smaller... (8630 views)

Broken leg - not eating. Last night my 7 week old puppy broke her leg , we took her to the emergency pet... (6396 views)

Swollen lip My cat gets frequent and sudden swelling on her face (her bottom lip usually but... (13243 views)

Azithromycin and cat death. I run my own rescue group. I do all the cleaning, transporting, adopting, and I... (10148 views)

Licking at lump on leg. Hi! My name is Sachiyo Ono and I have a question about my pet. I am only 14 so I... (25604 views)

Dog weak slow and shaking. My dog has become not interest in anything and has become very weak and has very... (13842 views)

Robaxin and Metacam. Rocky has been having back pain for over a week now. He's had this problem before... (17542 views)

Wobbly after anesthesia. Hello Dr. Marie, I just have a few questions about Snova...he got shaved for the... (14174 views)

Does Dawn Dishsoap kill fleas? Hi, I recently bought cat shampoo, and through research found that it was... (21599 views)