Did cat die from eating fertilizer?

Breed: Shorthair
Hello, a couple of days ago I found one of my cats dead in the garden. Although he is old he had not seemed ill at all and was fine the night before. There were no marks on him, no vomiting or anything. He just looked as if he dad been in mid stride when he fell. The afternoon before I had fed some of my plants with liquid growmore fertiliser and I feel so guilty that I could have poisoned him? The other cat, who is much more likely to lick around the plants, seems fine. Could it be poison even though there are no signs of any distress?

Thanks...

I'm sorry to hear about Mitchell.

It is extremely unlikely that this was due to poisoning though. Fertilizer is very caustic which means that it is very unlikely that an animal would eat enough to cause problems. And even then, if we did see issues they would likely be vomiting, diarrhea and perhaps kidney failure. Those symptoms would definitely be evident before causing death.

Any other poisons that I can think of would cause signs of illness that would have been very obvious.

When a cat dies all of a sudden the first thing I think of is a condition called hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM). This is a heart condition that some cats can have all of their lives and never show any symptoms. (Some cats have a heart murmur with it, but not all). Cats with HCM can just suddenly have their hearts stop. When this happens the cat can just die in mid stride like you have described.

I guess we'll never know for certain what happened without having a post mortem exam done (and even then we don't always find the answer.) But rest assured that it is extremely unlikely that Mitchell's death was your fault.

Vomiting Golden Retriever. I have a 8-year-old golden retriever that has been vomiting for the past 36 hours. ... (15067 views)

Pelvis fracture. Dear Dr Marie, My dog currently has a broken pelvis that is not mending. It... (17583 views)

Dog going blind. Our dog Vinnie started suddenly to become lethargic and then over a period of 4... (7577 views)

How often to give Benadryl? Lola always has a little bit of a breathing issue b/c of her short snout and I have... (8460 views)

Coughing cat. My cat has had a horrible cough for two or three months and the vet doesn't know... (4636 views)

Canine herpes on vulva. Hi there, One of my girls was bred on April 2, natural tie observed. This is her... (22997 views)

Is this dog cryptorchid? Jupiter is 71/2 months old. At 8 weeks vet noted both testicles desended. At 5... (19476 views)

Vomiting undigested food. I read in a magazine Woman's World about your service to give pet medical advice. My... (19041 views)

Tubes in dogs ears? our bulldog has bad problems with his ears they are almost swollen shut. our vet... (17795 views)

Healthy cat died suddenly. Why did my cat die? I came home from work today to find that my cat had died. I... (25321 views)