Did cat die from eating fertilizer?

Breed: Shorthair
Hello, a couple of days ago I found one of my cats dead in the garden. Although he is old he had not seemed ill at all and was fine the night before. There were no marks on him, no vomiting or anything. He just looked as if he dad been in mid stride when he fell. The afternoon before I had fed some of my plants with liquid growmore fertiliser and I feel so guilty that I could have poisoned him? The other cat, who is much more likely to lick around the plants, seems fine. Could it be poison even though there are no signs of any distress?

Thanks...

I'm sorry to hear about Mitchell.

It is extremely unlikely that this was due to poisoning though. Fertilizer is very caustic which means that it is very unlikely that an animal would eat enough to cause problems. And even then, if we did see issues they would likely be vomiting, diarrhea and perhaps kidney failure. Those symptoms would definitely be evident before causing death.

Any other poisons that I can think of would cause signs of illness that would have been very obvious.

When a cat dies all of a sudden the first thing I think of is a condition called hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM). This is a heart condition that some cats can have all of their lives and never show any symptoms. (Some cats have a heart murmur with it, but not all). Cats with HCM can just suddenly have their hearts stop. When this happens the cat can just die in mid stride like you have described.

I guess we'll never know for certain what happened without having a post mortem exam done (and even then we don't always find the answer.) But rest assured that it is extremely unlikely that Mitchell's death was your fault.

Possible coonhound paralysis? My dogs front right leg went out on him last night. He was on waiting list for ACL... (10013 views)

How to get cat to lose weight? Cinder is about 16-18 lbs. She has a large frame for a Female, per the vet, but my... (4236 views)

Azithromycin and cat death. I run my own rescue group. I do all the cleaning, transporting, adopting, and I... (9697 views)

Puppy not eating. why isn't my minature pincher puppy not eatting? i tried to feed him myself but he... (8126 views)

Lethargic cat My cat has been lethargic for a couple days. Noticed yesterday afternoon. She... (16624 views)

Ovarian remnant syndrome. Hi there, We had our beautiful, angel, female kitten spayed just over one month... (5966 views)

Brown spots and hair loss. Hi again Dr. Marie, My 6 year old Golden Retriever is itchy. I noticed that she... (14944 views)

Puppy died. My 7week old puppy died yesterday. She laid around all weekend and was not very... (9087 views)

Senior cat losing weight. My cat is approx. 16 years old. The last few months she has been losing a lot of... (8839 views)

Brown staining around pee area. The area around her pee area is really brown and dirty I have cleaned it off but I... (110535 views)