Did cat die from eating fertilizer?

Breed: Shorthair
Hello, a couple of days ago I found one of my cats dead in the garden. Although he is old he had not seemed ill at all and was fine the night before. There were no marks on him, no vomiting or anything. He just looked as if he dad been in mid stride when he fell. The afternoon before I had fed some of my plants with liquid growmore fertiliser and I feel so guilty that I could have poisoned him? The other cat, who is much more likely to lick around the plants, seems fine. Could it be poison even though there are no signs of any distress?

Thanks...

I'm sorry to hear about Mitchell.

It is extremely unlikely that this was due to poisoning though. Fertilizer is very caustic which means that it is very unlikely that an animal would eat enough to cause problems. And even then, if we did see issues they would likely be vomiting, diarrhea and perhaps kidney failure. Those symptoms would definitely be evident before causing death.

Any other poisons that I can think of would cause signs of illness that would have been very obvious.

When a cat dies all of a sudden the first thing I think of is a condition called hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM). This is a heart condition that some cats can have all of their lives and never show any symptoms. (Some cats have a heart murmur with it, but not all). Cats with HCM can just suddenly have their hearts stop. When this happens the cat can just die in mid stride like you have described.

I guess we'll never know for certain what happened without having a post mortem exam done (and even then we don't always find the answer.) But rest assured that it is extremely unlikely that Mitchell's death was your fault.

congested kitten Hi,i recently took in a stray kitten & a few days ago she started coughing on &... (11341 views)

Mast Cell tumor? This past Saturday afternoon I was petting my dog and I noticed a small bump under... (22870 views)

Does Vick's Vapo rub help cat's breathing? My vet says my cat has a sinus tumor and a Iwas wondering if vicks would help him to... (39503 views)

Strange behavior in cat. Hello. My cat got hit by a car four months ago and had to have his tail... (11507 views)

Itchy dog. My question is long because I have to give all the background data. On May 10, 2011... (21369 views)

Did neutering affect dog's bladder? My dog is 10 months old and was neutered 3 weeks ago. He was on antibiotics prior to... (19237 views)

Cats not eating. Viral Infection in Throat? I have 3 cats at home (in Singapore, Asia). 1... (11555 views)

Scratching ears and shaking head. We just started a road trip and my Isis has started scratching her ears and shaking... (7965 views)

Limping, trouble breathing and then dog died. Dr. Marie, My dog died this evening and am looking for possible causes. I did not... (20427 views)

Liver infections in cat. My 13 year old cat has had at least 3 serious, life threatening liver infections... (7274 views)