Cat has an itchy head.

Breed: Domestic
Hello, my cat's head is very itchy. She has been wearing a e-collar for a year (otherwise she will tear her face apart). I have changed her food to hypoallergenic and I only use hypoallergenic products. Nothing seems to work I have tried, hypoallergenic food, hypoallergenic detergent, glass food dishes, amethystine and tested for mites. Recently, I noticed white bumps on her head that scabbed and the hair is falling out. I have taken her to numerous vets to no avail. Please help.

Oh, poor Sook. It sounds like she is so uncomfortable. It sounds like you have been trying all of the right things.

Has she ever had a skin biopsy done? A biopsy could tell us if this is a rare condition like pemphigus foliaceus. It could also be ringworm which is a fungal infection.

Is she a white cat? If so you might want to ask your vet about a type of skin cancer called squamous cell carcinoma.

Has she been on steroids (either by injection or pills such as prednisone)? If this is an allergy, sometimes this is the only thing that works.

In a cat like this I would also be doing a prescription strength flea product just in case (even if you are not seeing fleas.)

I would love to see pictures of your cat. If you would like to reply I can tell you which email address to send them to.

The other thing that you can consider is to ask your vet for a referral to a veterinary dermatologist. We will often do this if we are having difficulty treating a cat with skin problems.

It's not fair for her to live life with an e-collar. We need to find some way to get her comfortable!

Dog with masticatory myositis. hi my dog has had masticatory myositis last jan and again in april and now has it... (10218 views)

Seizure episode. he just had a sesiure like episode where he was walking with me and just kinda... (6868 views)

Thin after back injury. A friend found a dog years ago on the side of the road with an broken back. Break... (11265 views)

Seizures in sleep? My dog is 15 years old he has previously about 4 years ago had a tumor removed near... (6102 views)

Cat having trouble urinating. I have a cat, a very lively talkative cat, who is displaying health problems. She... (7155 views)

Enlarged lymph nodes on chemo. My furry child was recently diagnosed Lymphoma, cells suggestive of T-cell. I do... (13066 views)

Lump on dog's foot. Hello, my 12 month old female boxer has a small pink lump on her toe/paw. I noticed... (26867 views)

Black stuff in cat's ears. Hi Dr. Marie. My cat Thelma (who happens to be male and nearly 15) has had an issue... (36512 views)

Border collie leg problems? Hi Doctor, from Surrey in The UK, We have a gorgeous Border Collie pup. We think... (13650 views)

Bleeding from mouth. Hi Dr. Marie, What would cause recurrent tongue and gum ulcers in cats? Chuger is... (32519 views)