Cat has an itchy head.

Breed: Domestic
Hello, my cat's head is very itchy. She has been wearing a e-collar for a year (otherwise she will tear her face apart). I have changed her food to hypoallergenic and I only use hypoallergenic products. Nothing seems to work I have tried, hypoallergenic food, hypoallergenic detergent, glass food dishes, amethystine and tested for mites. Recently, I noticed white bumps on her head that scabbed and the hair is falling out. I have taken her to numerous vets to no avail. Please help.

Oh, poor Sook. It sounds like she is so uncomfortable. It sounds like you have been trying all of the right things.

Has she ever had a skin biopsy done? A biopsy could tell us if this is a rare condition like pemphigus foliaceus. It could also be ringworm which is a fungal infection.

Is she a white cat? If so you might want to ask your vet about a type of skin cancer called squamous cell carcinoma.

Has she been on steroids (either by injection or pills such as prednisone)? If this is an allergy, sometimes this is the only thing that works.

In a cat like this I would also be doing a prescription strength flea product just in case (even if you are not seeing fleas.)

I would love to see pictures of your cat. If you would like to reply I can tell you which email address to send them to.

The other thing that you can consider is to ask your vet for a referral to a veterinary dermatologist. We will often do this if we are having difficulty treating a cat with skin problems.

It's not fair for her to live life with an e-collar. We need to find some way to get her comfortable!

Cat vomiting and not eating. Hi Dr. Marie...I wonder if you could help me figure out if my cat is really sick. ... (27999 views)

How many vaccines for a puppy? Hi Dr. Marie, Codee was given 5in1 parovirus 2 shots. Is it true that it should... (4173 views)

Green penile discharge. Hi, I have a 7 month old alaskan malamute. I have noticed that he has green... (16435 views)

Arthritis medicines for cats. Please tell me what you use for daily dose meloxicam for 12 pound 15 yr old cat.... (6790 views)

Swollen throat. over night my dogs thropat and cheeks have swallon really bad (looks like a hamster... (22575 views)

Puffy cat ear. Dr. Marie, my cat Dexter has developed some type of a bump on his right ear. It's... (26775 views)

Vet care discount for seniors. My cat vomited today(29.10.10) and she is in a quite bad mood, i want to get a check... (9849 views)

Cortisone vs. anti-inflammatory. What is more harmful to the liver, anti-inflammatory medication or Cortisone... (7815 views)

Cat with renal lymphoma. I have a 7 year old female cat who, over the course of the past six months,... (9134 views)

Effects of tobacco on dogs. wat happens wen u feed ur dog a piece of levi garrett tabacco wit his... (9799 views)