Cat has an itchy head.

Breed: Domestic
Hello, my cat's head is very itchy. She has been wearing a e-collar for a year (otherwise she will tear her face apart). I have changed her food to hypoallergenic and I only use hypoallergenic products. Nothing seems to work I have tried, hypoallergenic food, hypoallergenic detergent, glass food dishes, amethystine and tested for mites. Recently, I noticed white bumps on her head that scabbed and the hair is falling out. I have taken her to numerous vets to no avail. Please help.

Oh, poor Sook. It sounds like she is so uncomfortable. It sounds like you have been trying all of the right things.

Has she ever had a skin biopsy done? A biopsy could tell us if this is a rare condition like pemphigus foliaceus. It could also be ringworm which is a fungal infection.

Is she a white cat? If so you might want to ask your vet about a type of skin cancer called squamous cell carcinoma.

Has she been on steroids (either by injection or pills such as prednisone)? If this is an allergy, sometimes this is the only thing that works.

In a cat like this I would also be doing a prescription strength flea product just in case (even if you are not seeing fleas.)

I would love to see pictures of your cat. If you would like to reply I can tell you which email address to send them to.

The other thing that you can consider is to ask your vet for a referral to a veterinary dermatologist. We will often do this if we are having difficulty treating a cat with skin problems.

It's not fair for her to live life with an e-collar. We need to find some way to get her comfortable!

Ovarian remnant Hi, We have a spayed cat that has been showing signs of being on heat on and off... (10889 views)

Pooping in house. I got my dog Clyde on June 25, 2012. He is a 4 year-old Lhasa. His previous owners... (11681 views)

One small testicle. I have a 25 week old male pup who had 2 normal testicles at 8 weeks old. At about 10... (24630 views)

Dog ate maxi pad. My wife and I left for a 24 day holiday. Three of our kids remained at home. Our... (21770 views)

Abscess or Cancer? My 8 year old shih tzu had raptured disks surgery five months ago. He was on wheel... (9808 views)

Boxer splitting open tail. I have a 2 year old boxer and she keeps splitting her tail open is it necessary to... (7410 views)

Hamster is dying. My hamster is 2 years and 11 months now . I noticed he hasnt been drinking as much ,... (9994 views)

Terbutaline and atenolol. Hi Dr. Marie, I’m interested in your thoughts on what may have caused my cat’s... (18722 views)

Older cat losing weight. My eleven year old cat has congenital hipdisplasia however she has been happy... (25753 views)

Puppy not gaining weight. my puppy is one month old and is not gaining any weight and is not active not eating... (10470 views)