Cat has an itchy head.

Breed: Domestic
Hello, my cat's head is very itchy. She has been wearing a e-collar for a year (otherwise she will tear her face apart). I have changed her food to hypoallergenic and I only use hypoallergenic products. Nothing seems to work I have tried, hypoallergenic food, hypoallergenic detergent, glass food dishes, amethystine and tested for mites. Recently, I noticed white bumps on her head that scabbed and the hair is falling out. I have taken her to numerous vets to no avail. Please help.

Oh, poor Sook. It sounds like she is so uncomfortable. It sounds like you have been trying all of the right things.

Has she ever had a skin biopsy done? A biopsy could tell us if this is a rare condition like pemphigus foliaceus. It could also be ringworm which is a fungal infection.

Is she a white cat? If so you might want to ask your vet about a type of skin cancer called squamous cell carcinoma.

Has she been on steroids (either by injection or pills such as prednisone)? If this is an allergy, sometimes this is the only thing that works.

In a cat like this I would also be doing a prescription strength flea product just in case (even if you are not seeing fleas.)

I would love to see pictures of your cat. If you would like to reply I can tell you which email address to send them to.

The other thing that you can consider is to ask your vet for a referral to a veterinary dermatologist. We will often do this if we are having difficulty treating a cat with skin problems.

It's not fair for her to live life with an e-collar. We need to find some way to get her comfortable!

Thumping back legs. My cat started throwing up Sunday. Yesterday he started thumping his back feet and... (20707 views)

Dog playing with a bat - rabies? My new puppy 7 weeks old has just has a few of his early shots. He was just in the... (32005 views)

Hip dysplasia and arthritis. Hello, My dog Jasmine is about 13 & 1/2 years old. We live in New York City. I... (12297 views)

Scabby rash on belly and back. My dog has a scabby rash that she has had for about a year. At first it was just on... (18719 views)

Kitten diarrhea. my cat is having diarrhea and is growing weak everyday. he's feces have mucus and he... (8960 views)

Dog can't pee. I was outside today and I looked over at my dog. He bent over to pee but no pee... (15882 views)

Bleeding anal glands. My dog has been having blood drip from his rear. My vet has expressed his anal... (8794 views)

Dog's baby teeth not out. Hi Dr Marie, Happy Holidays to you. I have a question. I don't think this is a... (12947 views)

Head Tilt. My dog carries his head to one side. Do you think he could have an ear infection or... (12526 views)

Puppy with diarrhea. Hi, I got Winston when he was just 5 weeks old and he's just a little over 4... (7904 views)