Dog sick after eating apricots.

Breed: Australian Shepherd
Yesterday I found Poppy and my other Aussie eating apricots from the neighbors overhanging tree. The other Aussie is fine and was not affected by this escapade.

It appeared Poppy was not eating/breaking the pits, there were a minimum of 50 pits in the area. Around dinner time she was not interested in eating her dinner or playing. I thought she had a belly ache. She was drinking water, but then vomited and had apricot color diarrhea. By this morning she was laying by the water bowl, but not drinking water. She decided to drink, but vomited everything she drank. Her gums were light pink to white and her energy was flat...no energy, lethargic.

I took her the VET ED and the Vet Tech saw blood on the thermometer when she took her temp which was 99.?. The ED started IV fluids, Flagyl and nausea medication.

The Vet called relaying her PCV was 35 and her renal function was compromised. I do not have her renal values. The Vet thought she may have gotten into antifreeze.

This is not possible, she was home all day and only in the backyard and house. No antifreeze available. Nothing different in her daily routine other than the apricot feast.

My questions:
Could this be cyanide poisoning?

What are the signs and symptoms of cyanide poisoning in dogs?

Does cyanide affect renal function in dogs?

What questions should I ask the ER VET?

Is there a possibility that this could be Immune Mediated Hemolytic Anemia? I lost an Aussie 2 yrs ago to this disease and her symptoms are very similar.

Thank you!

Wow. I'm so sorry to hear that this happened. I'm going to have to spend a few minutes researching about cyanide for you, ok?

You'll get an email in a few minutes once I have some answers for you.

OK, so cyanide poisoning definitely doesn't cause renal failure. It will affect the body's cells so that they can't process oxygen properly. Then, the symptoms are coma and death.

However, the apricots may still be the culprit. If your vet is suspecting antifreeze then it means that there is acute renal failure (i.e. something has suddenly become toxic to the kidneys.) Dogs with antifreeze poisoning usually have something called calcium oxylate crystals in their urine. There are a number of plants that can cause similar symptoms if ingested. After doing some research I see that apricots actually do contain a small amount of calcium oxalates. If enough of them were eaten they could in theory cause kidney problems. I'll tell you though that I could not find one documented case of this ever happening.

This really doesn't sound like IMHA. While it will cause anemia it really shouldn't cause renal failure.

It definitely sounds like it is because of toxin ingestion. Again, a massive amount of apricots could cause these problems. Or, it is possible that there is another plant in your yard that contains calcium oxalates.

The best thing that can be done here is aggressive IV fluid therapy. It sounds like you caught this early, so hopefully Poppy pulls through!

Thanks for all the info!

Appreciate your services!

Scabs on cat's ears. Our cat has spots on her ears that look like bites or sores. We have had her to the... (10647 views)

Itchy coat. my dog itches and her coat seems to be popped up at various places, have cheched... (9797 views)

Dog ate a dead bird. he ate a dead bird today,hes been sick once,he seems fine and hes eating,should i... (31513 views)

Aural Hematoma my 12 yr old italian greyhound's ear is puffy. not the inner ear but the ear itself.... (13432 views)

Getting new pup after parvo. We rescued a puppy from the pound 6 month ago, we did not know when we get here that... (35283 views)

Bald spots on dog I have 2 staffordshire bullterriers which are brothers 1 of them has lost a spot of... (17700 views)

Incontinent kitten. Hi there! I have a kitten who was found in a drain at about 3 weeks. The vets at... (14239 views)

Possible distemper or kennel cough. I adopted Bub from the SPCA on August 13 and he was taken to the Vet on Aug 17 for... (11666 views)

Carnassial tooth slab fracture. Hello Dr. Marie! Thanks for offering this service! My 3 year old dog has... (15040 views)

How much water should a puppy drink? Dr Marie, This is more a precautionary question. Max is 4.5 months old, 37... (90256 views)