When to euthanize dog with arthritis.

Breed: Weimaraner
Hello.
I'm going through a really hard time right now, trying to make a decision about my dog. He's about 15.5 years old, and according to his last labwork checkup, he has the bloodwork of a two year old dog. But, he has really really bad arthritis. They said he has some spinal nerve damage, when he was able to walk, his paws curled under or they crossed, one in front of the other. He's on two pain meds, which control his pain pretty well.
She put him on Prednisone, which helped for about a month, but he's stopped walking again, about two weeks ago.
The question I have for you, is, when do I know it's right to put him down? I've had him since six weeks, and although he can't walk (we take him outside to go potty, he barks when he has to go), his pain is under control and he looks alert.
I feel it should be sooner rather than later, when we can't control his pain anymore... but should we wait until it comes to the point that the pain is MAKING us have to put him down? Please help, he's my best friend, a child... this is a very difficult decision. He's very well loved, cuddled and spoiled....

I'm so sorry to hear of your situation. Unfortunately this is a type of case that I see very commonly and I can understand how difficult it is to make the decision for euthanasia.

Dogs have such a strong survival drive that they are going to do all they can to try to act happy and this makes that decision so hard.

From what you have described, if Baloo is not able to walk, then in my mind the time is very near, if not now. If Baloo is unable to walk, there is a good chance that that is because of pain. (The exception would be if he had a paralysis issue - sometimes those are not painful). But, if he can't walk because of arthritis then this means that there is significant pain. And again, dogs just don't show us exactly how much pain they have.

With all of that being said, I usually do find that most of my clients just seem to know when it is time for euthanasia.

With my animals, my philosophy is that if my pets have a condition that I know they are not going to recover from then I would much rather make the decision too early than too late. The whole goal is to reduce the amount of discomfort that Baloo has.

I'm so sorry for these hard decisions. Arthritis in dogs can be so difficult.

Please let me know if you have more questions.

Itchy ears and bum. My dog keeps scratching at her ears and shakes her head a lot. I clean her ears and... (15270 views)

Lump on cat's abdomen. My cat has a round, hard spot in her stomach. It has a red dot in the center It... (14985 views)

Very sick kitty. just found you, wish we had found you earlier. maybe kitty will still be with us... (5530 views)

Only one bowel movement. My 2 month old shih tzu only poops in the morning. He eats dog food soaked in water... (10415 views)

Starting pay of a vet. I'm a student hoping to study Vet Med but I might need to get student loan for the... (5800 views)

Treatment for kidney disease. My cat has recently been hospitalized for kidney failure. They have her on fluids... (5174 views)

Sneezing, vomiting, coughing. my cat is sneezing vomiting coughing breathing through his mouth and has hard... (23193 views)

Cat is urinating on my bed. Hi Dr Marie, You may not remember me - I'm from Australia, my partner and I email... (8398 views)

Home cooked diet for dog. I cook Tater ground sirloin, white rice and then mix in some canned no salt green... (5261 views)

Older cat with diarrhea Gizzy has Diarrhea most all the time and it smells really bad She used to throw up... (10516 views)