When to euthanize dog with arthritis.

Breed: Weimaraner
Hello.
I'm going through a really hard time right now, trying to make a decision about my dog. He's about 15.5 years old, and according to his last labwork checkup, he has the bloodwork of a two year old dog. But, he has really really bad arthritis. They said he has some spinal nerve damage, when he was able to walk, his paws curled under or they crossed, one in front of the other. He's on two pain meds, which control his pain pretty well.
She put him on Prednisone, which helped for about a month, but he's stopped walking again, about two weeks ago.
The question I have for you, is, when do I know it's right to put him down? I've had him since six weeks, and although he can't walk (we take him outside to go potty, he barks when he has to go), his pain is under control and he looks alert.
I feel it should be sooner rather than later, when we can't control his pain anymore... but should we wait until it comes to the point that the pain is MAKING us have to put him down? Please help, he's my best friend, a child... this is a very difficult decision. He's very well loved, cuddled and spoiled....

I'm so sorry to hear of your situation. Unfortunately this is a type of case that I see very commonly and I can understand how difficult it is to make the decision for euthanasia.

Dogs have such a strong survival drive that they are going to do all they can to try to act happy and this makes that decision so hard.

From what you have described, if Baloo is not able to walk, then in my mind the time is very near, if not now. If Baloo is unable to walk, there is a good chance that that is because of pain. (The exception would be if he had a paralysis issue - sometimes those are not painful). But, if he can't walk because of arthritis then this means that there is significant pain. And again, dogs just don't show us exactly how much pain they have.

With all of that being said, I usually do find that most of my clients just seem to know when it is time for euthanasia.

With my animals, my philosophy is that if my pets have a condition that I know they are not going to recover from then I would much rather make the decision too early than too late. The whole goal is to reduce the amount of discomfort that Baloo has.

I'm so sorry for these hard decisions. Arthritis in dogs can be so difficult.

Please let me know if you have more questions.

Is ginger safe for dogs? I make dog biscuits to sell at craft shows and with xmas coming up sooner than we... (42064 views)

IVDD in Basset Hound? Frank has had a very hard stomach for 2.5 days now and he is not drinking much... (37413 views)

Lab gets into the garbage. Hi. I have a 75-lb. yellow lab. She was rescued from a breeder when she was a year... (8278 views)

Sneezing dog. I have two yorkiepoo's that were around a dog that had distemper parvo ( he was not... (11312 views)

Gunky eyes in kittens. Hello, We have four newborn kittens--19 days old. One died 2 days ago--we... (8814 views)

Cancer or hairball? Mama Kitty has a lower abdomen mass. She is 5 lbs. The vet suspects cancer, although... (13962 views)

Enlarged lymph nodes on chemo. My furry child was recently diagnosed Lymphoma, cells suggestive of T-cell. I do... (12132 views)

How long does a dog stay in heat? How long does she stay in heat? and how often? thanks have a blessed... (8104 views)

Sore eye in a dog. Hi, My Yorkie's left eye is squinting; it looks like she can't open it. She has... (23705 views)

Fearful Sheltie. my dog is very nervous of new people and places. she is very nervous and can't focus... (8322 views)