Why is hamster quiet?

Breed: syrian
what's wrong with my hamster...
had her out for half an hour and she just lay on my hand her eyes are shiny and her coat looks shiny
appetite seems fine, she's nice and warm but is moving slowly and it is not like her
what do i do??

Sorry to hear that your hamster is not feeling well.

This is a tough question to answer without seeing her. I can give you a few suggestions but ultimately she may need to see the vet.

What is the temperature like in the area which she lives? If it is quite cold it may be that she is starting to hibernate. If you think this may be the case then either turning up the heat or adding a space heater near her cage will help her to perk up.

Does she have any diarrhea? Hamsters can sometimes be quite lethargic from a condition called wet tail which is quite serious.

It is also possible that she has an infection somewhere or some other type of illness. Unfortunately hamsters don't have a lot of reserves to fight illness so if you suspect something is wrong a visit to the vet is the best idea!

Are chicken feces toxic? I've heard that chicken poop is bad for dogs, is this true? if so, what can i do... (106900 views)

Cancer or pyometra? My lab who was quite healthy up and until August started to show a dulling coat and... (14915 views)

Is clostridium contagious? Can my dog have gotten a c diff infection from being around another dog that had... (18090 views)

Older dog having seizures. My 10.5 year old chocolate lab had three seizures in 12 hours in October. He's... (18792 views)

Vacuolar hepatopathy. Hi Dr. Marie I am following up with you regarding Oreo's elevated bile acid... (23358 views)

Should I have euthanized? We put my dog Kyra to sleep yesterday and I am struggling with the decision. Here... (10860 views)

Drooling and twitching. My 8 week old Mini American Eskimo has been drooling excessively all day. The... (16094 views)

Very sick kitten. Thursday 4/21 daughter rescued kitten from tomcat in my mom's backyard. Kitten... (23441 views)

Do you like being a vet? Hi Dr. Marie I have 2 cats and their names are simba and angel and they're very... (12581 views)

Aggressive cats when in heat. i have 2 cats cocoa & honey & honey jus had kittens but before honey had her kittens... (10463 views)