Why is hamster quiet?

Breed: syrian
what's wrong with my hamster...
had her out for half an hour and she just lay on my hand her eyes are shiny and her coat looks shiny
appetite seems fine, she's nice and warm but is moving slowly and it is not like her
what do i do??

Sorry to hear that your hamster is not feeling well.

This is a tough question to answer without seeing her. I can give you a few suggestions but ultimately she may need to see the vet.

What is the temperature like in the area which she lives? If it is quite cold it may be that she is starting to hibernate. If you think this may be the case then either turning up the heat or adding a space heater near her cage will help her to perk up.

Does she have any diarrhea? Hamsters can sometimes be quite lethargic from a condition called wet tail which is quite serious.

It is also possible that she has an infection somewhere or some other type of illness. Unfortunately hamsters don't have a lot of reserves to fight illness so if you suspect something is wrong a visit to the vet is the best idea!

Itchy coat. my dog itches and her coat seems to be popped up at various places, have cheched... (8619 views)

Hole on puppy's head. My german shepherd gave birth to 9 puppies on June 19, however 1 pup came out with a... (17254 views)

Pimples around a dog's anus. Hi. My name is Anna and I have a 7 month old, predominantly Rhodesian Ridgeback,... (130578 views)

Worms in dog's poop. My dog is 1 year and 6 months, she has worms. My husband and I saw signs of it about... (7198 views)

Does my dog have a gait problem? Hi Dr. I'm hoping this is a trivial question. As the email pic shows, the... (20198 views)

Small pink lump on back. My dog has had a small light pink lump on his back for a little while now. I have... (13178 views)

Yorkie not eating much food. My yorkie-poo rarely eats. He is currently eating instinct. He eats about 1/2 cup... (7684 views)

OTC sedation for cats. I just brought my two cats home from their dental cleaning and found out that they... (110675 views)

Head tremors and bloody discharge. Dear Dr. Marie my fiance Melissa contacted you friday 02/26/2010 about are cat... (9959 views)

Liver shunt or MVD Hello Dr. Maria. I have a 6 month old male Dachshund. He went in to get a neuter... (15291 views)