Why is hamster quiet?

Breed: syrian
what's wrong with my hamster...
had her out for half an hour and she just lay on my hand her eyes are shiny and her coat looks shiny
appetite seems fine, she's nice and warm but is moving slowly and it is not like her
what do i do??

Sorry to hear that your hamster is not feeling well.

This is a tough question to answer without seeing her. I can give you a few suggestions but ultimately she may need to see the vet.

What is the temperature like in the area which she lives? If it is quite cold it may be that she is starting to hibernate. If you think this may be the case then either turning up the heat or adding a space heater near her cage will help her to perk up.

Does she have any diarrhea? Hamsters can sometimes be quite lethargic from a condition called wet tail which is quite serious.

It is also possible that she has an infection somewhere or some other type of illness. Unfortunately hamsters don't have a lot of reserves to fight illness so if you suspect something is wrong a visit to the vet is the best idea!

Dog spinning and bothered My dog doesn't have flea's but acts like he is being bothered by something. He... (11947 views)

Problems after enema. Hello. Our 2 year old cat has had two bouts with constipation that required a... (32476 views)

Submissive urination. I adopted this dog on Thursday. I took him to the vets on Friday and he was checked... (12154 views)

Tracheal collapse. I was wondering if a mild case of collapse trachea in a 5 month old puppy will... (6118 views)

Strange problem with cat. I am having a serious issue. I have an 11 year old female indoor cat, never fixed. ... (9605 views)

Drinking a lot and collapse. My boxer, Tank, has recently began drinking water excessively and then pees all over... (21669 views)

Sores on dog's leg. My dog recently got theses two sores on her back leg, one bigger than the other. Its... (8781 views)

IVDD and swimming. My American Bulldog Lucille, age 11 years old, has Type 2 IVDD. She can walk... (5368 views)

Good chew toys for dogs. Hi Dr, I have a 9 month old dog who is part Golden and part Canadian beaver. He... (14685 views)

Seizure or heart problem? My sister is younger and home alone until tomorrow. She called me freaking out about... (12829 views)