How long is parvo contagious?

Breed: border collie x
i recently got a puppy and after 3 days i found out he had parvo and had to be put down. he came from a litter of 6 and one other dog has been diagnosed, but recovered. all the others have shown no signs of illness. since losing my puppy i have thrown out all items that he touched and have bleached what i can of my yard. now, i would really like a second chance at having a dog, but obviously my yard is now infected with parvo. out of the original litter of six there is one left who is now 10 weeks old and has been feeding off its mother. he has not been sick and is generally healthy. my question is: if i get this dog its vaccination will i be able to take him to live at my house? or will be get sick as well?

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that your puppy died from parvo. Parvo is such a nasty disease.

It sounds like you are doing the right things by cleaning things with bleach and throwing out all of his dishes and toys.

Parvo virus can live in the environment from 6 months to 2 years. However, unless there was a large amount of diarrhea in the yard then 6 months is usually considered a safe amount of time to wait before letting a pup in the yard again.

With that being said, if you have bleached all of your floors, you could bring a new pup into your house but just not let him out into the yard until he is fully protected with vaccines.

Most puppies need two, and possibly three sets of vaccines (each 3-4 weeks apart) before they are considered fully protected against parvo.

Hope all goes well!

Puppy died suddenly. Dakota was playful, looked energetic and happy thursday morning. by dinner time the... (23599 views)

Need exam with steroid shot? Is it by the state of law that your cat needs to be examined when you know the cat... (4825 views)

Recipe for skunk odor. My cat got sprayed by a skunk. What do you recomend to get rid of the... (9795 views)

Did my dog mate? hello my female dog was on her 2nd heat around 2months ago she got out my garden... (7958 views)

Clumsy,wobbly yorkiepoo. My son put my 11 month old yorkiepoo outside yesterday and he didn't let him back in... (13546 views)

Missing hamster teeth. My hamster completely lost her bottom teeth and i dont know what to do. i searched... (14100 views)

Pit bull has bald patches. Hi, we have beeen to the vet three different times and he still breaking out and... (4654 views)

Lump on German Shepherd. This morning while brushing Sako, a 9-year-old GSD, I noted an area where hair is... (15497 views)

Lump on dog's leg. Hi Dr. Marie! Spanky is 5 years old and very healthy. His energy is good and, as... (39193 views)

Kitten strangled himself. My kitten just strangled himself and his tounge was blue,hanging out, limp,not... (11608 views)