How long is parvo contagious?

Breed: border collie x
i recently got a puppy and after 3 days i found out he had parvo and had to be put down. he came from a litter of 6 and one other dog has been diagnosed, but recovered. all the others have shown no signs of illness. since losing my puppy i have thrown out all items that he touched and have bleached what i can of my yard. now, i would really like a second chance at having a dog, but obviously my yard is now infected with parvo. out of the original litter of six there is one left who is now 10 weeks old and has been feeding off its mother. he has not been sick and is generally healthy. my question is: if i get this dog its vaccination will i be able to take him to live at my house? or will be get sick as well?

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that your puppy died from parvo. Parvo is such a nasty disease.

It sounds like you are doing the right things by cleaning things with bleach and throwing out all of his dishes and toys.

Parvo virus can live in the environment from 6 months to 2 years. However, unless there was a large amount of diarrhea in the yard then 6 months is usually considered a safe amount of time to wait before letting a pup in the yard again.

With that being said, if you have bleached all of your floors, you could bring a new pup into your house but just not let him out into the yard until he is fully protected with vaccines.

Most puppies need two, and possibly three sets of vaccines (each 3-4 weeks apart) before they are considered fully protected against parvo.

Hope all goes well!

Home treatment for abscess. My cat had an abscess I didnt know about until it blew 4 days ago. I have cut away... (8580 views)

Kitten diarrhea the kitten is about 2mths old and has diarea she was a wild kitten born outside... (9452 views)

How many vaccines for a puppy? Hi Dr. Marie, Codee was given 5in1 parovirus 2 shots. Is it true that it should... (4044 views)

Dog vomiting clear fluid. Today we noticed that Cassie is vomiting clear fluid (with a little foam) all over... (218235 views)

Cat pooping on floor. My cat doesn't poop in her litter box, so I put down rugs near her litter box and... (10528 views)

Recessed vulva I have a customer that claims the dog she bought from me has perivulvar pyoderma. ... (26488 views)

Bumpy skin on back. My cat BonBon has a significant amount of dry, bumpy, itchy, red skin on her back... (10597 views)

Dog pees in the house. Woody has been peeing when I have gone to work in the bedroom. I take him out... (7983 views)

Limping kitten. I got a kitten on Monday. They said she is about 5 or 6 weeks old. For the first... (10569 views)

Dog with wound. My pup is 7 months old and two days ago she dug out of her kennel and I didn't see... (17608 views)