How long is parvo contagious?

Breed: border collie x
i recently got a puppy and after 3 days i found out he had parvo and had to be put down. he came from a litter of 6 and one other dog has been diagnosed, but recovered. all the others have shown no signs of illness. since losing my puppy i have thrown out all items that he touched and have bleached what i can of my yard. now, i would really like a second chance at having a dog, but obviously my yard is now infected with parvo. out of the original litter of six there is one left who is now 10 weeks old and has been feeding off its mother. he has not been sick and is generally healthy. my question is: if i get this dog its vaccination will i be able to take him to live at my house? or will be get sick as well?

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that your puppy died from parvo. Parvo is such a nasty disease.

It sounds like you are doing the right things by cleaning things with bleach and throwing out all of his dishes and toys.

Parvo virus can live in the environment from 6 months to 2 years. However, unless there was a large amount of diarrhea in the yard then 6 months is usually considered a safe amount of time to wait before letting a pup in the yard again.

With that being said, if you have bleached all of your floors, you could bring a new pup into your house but just not let him out into the yard until he is fully protected with vaccines.

Most puppies need two, and possibly three sets of vaccines (each 3-4 weeks apart) before they are considered fully protected against parvo.

Hope all goes well!

Calcification in the lungs. dog lung calcification Dear Dr.Mari, I hear some bad sounds whenever my dog... (7300 views)

Doxycycline and amoxicillin. My dog is believed to have Lyme disease, her test was negative but our vet thought... (19305 views)

Recessed vulva I have a customer that claims the dog she bought from me has perivulvar pyoderma. ... (27472 views)

Chronic cat diarrhea. I had emailed you several times regarding my cat Bandit in December and January.... (7013 views)

Unexplained fever in a dog. Hi Dr. Marie, My pit bull Indy has always been in pretty good health but has... (8974 views)

Chronic and acute kidney disease. My dog is a 3 and half year old toy poodle. About 3 month before, he was diagnosed... (8910 views)

Why do cats lick plastic? I have a 2 year old Himalayan Cat named Felix. He will be 3 in April. He drives me... (26737 views)

Low specific gravity. This is regarding a 9 year old male pitbull, neutered with no past medical history.... (6864 views)

Swollen eye in older cat. Hello - I have a 13-yr cat with renal issues (diagnosed 2 yrs ago) - but she has... (9374 views)

High ALP in a pug. Hi Dr. Marie, I have a 7yr old female Pug. She was getting "pyoderma" every few... (33159 views)