How long is parvo contagious?

Breed: border collie x
i recently got a puppy and after 3 days i found out he had parvo and had to be put down. he came from a litter of 6 and one other dog has been diagnosed, but recovered. all the others have shown no signs of illness. since losing my puppy i have thrown out all items that he touched and have bleached what i can of my yard. now, i would really like a second chance at having a dog, but obviously my yard is now infected with parvo. out of the original litter of six there is one left who is now 10 weeks old and has been feeding off its mother. he has not been sick and is generally healthy. my question is: if i get this dog its vaccination will i be able to take him to live at my house? or will be get sick as well?

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that your puppy died from parvo. Parvo is such a nasty disease.

It sounds like you are doing the right things by cleaning things with bleach and throwing out all of his dishes and toys.

Parvo virus can live in the environment from 6 months to 2 years. However, unless there was a large amount of diarrhea in the yard then 6 months is usually considered a safe amount of time to wait before letting a pup in the yard again.

With that being said, if you have bleached all of your floors, you could bring a new pup into your house but just not let him out into the yard until he is fully protected with vaccines.

Most puppies need two, and possibly three sets of vaccines (each 3-4 weeks apart) before they are considered fully protected against parvo.

Hope all goes well!

Long term use of Clavasceptin Dear Dr Marie, Our puppy (5 months old) was diagnosed as having a kidney... (9320 views)

Trouble having bowel movements. ok so my pug has pooping weird lately. almost every time he goes he wines and runes... (5139 views)

Cat is very quiet. My cat is a neutered male who has just turned two years old. He is an indoor/outdoor... (21453 views)

Very thirsty dog. My 13 year old spayed female lab is continually drinking water, can't seem to get... (8063 views)

Lumps on dog's ear. Rocky has three very small bumps on the inside of the flap of his ear. They have... (26462 views)

Old dog vomiting. My dog has been throwing up food that she eats except soft stuff, she is old and she... (15080 views)

Stuffed up dog. We are a foster home/rescue home for dogs. We brought in a new foster two weeks ago... (59105 views)

Sensitive at tail base. My cat is 7 years old. She is the only suvivor of her litteer. All of the kittens... (114439 views)

Swollen hip. I am so worried about my dog Holly. I think she may have hip dysplasia. Her hip is... (9765 views)

Cat died after intestinal surgery. Hi, I tried to send email this morning but some how pay pal didn't take me to right... (7796 views)