Cat with asthma.

Breed: abysinian
My Abby was diagnosed with a respiratory problem similar to asthma and was prescribed Flovent HFA, 110 mcg, which I filled at my regular pharmacy. It came with a dispenser for a child and upon calling my vet was told to tape a small plastic (sandwich bag) to the spout, place it over my cat's nose and mouth and deliver the dose into the bag. I should do this twice a day. I am just worried that dispensing it this way will not get a sufficient dose into my cat's nostrils. Would you recommend getting a mask made especially for cats or should I be comfortable doing it this way. By the way my cat is presently taking Prednisone 5mg #50 for skin irritation. I hope this will not interfere with the Flovent.

I have had good success with using inhalers for cats with asthma. I have never tried what you have described though, using a plastic bag.

Rather, there are two things that I have tried. Ideally, the Aerokat is my first choice. You can buy this online, or your vet can order one for you. Or, another option is to buy what is called a "pediatric spacer" at the pharmacy. This is an attachement for the puffer that was made to make it easier to administer the medication to very small children.

Cats tolerate either of these really well. Plus, they are made so that very little medication is lost.

Now, regarding the prednisone. Prednisone is an oral steroid and Flovent is an inhaled steroid. In many cases, an oral steroid is enough to keep a cat with asthma from coughing. But, quite often we have to add an inhaled one as well. It is perfectly safe to do both at the same time.

I hope that helps!

Pumpkin for anal glands. My dog has anal gland troubles, the vet mentioned fiber treats, I was wondering for... (31288 views)

Regurgitating water. Hello, Dr Marie. My cocker spaniel just recently started regurgitating water. He... (10807 views)

When can my dog see other dogs? How long before my dog can be around people that own dogs? He gets his first set of... (7239 views)

Can't move back legs. Cat is not able to move back legs and yowling. Maybe paralyzed? No accidents. Need... (14789 views)

Very sick kitty. just found you, wish we had found you earlier. maybe kitty will still be with us... (4492 views)

Basset Hound whining. My basset has seemed to be more whiny latley than usual. I felt around his joints... (8497 views)

Rat bleeding from eye. It started about 4-5 weeks ago when I noticed my girl was bleeding from her eye and... (18344 views)

Dog's stool a little loose. Dr Marie, Examining that bump around Max's nipples it appears to be less solid.... (4108 views)

Carrots and nuts safe for dogs? Is it safe to feed her carrots or nuts of any kind? We have just been feeding them... (11822 views)

Abscess on paw. has a very swollen front paw that spilt open between middle toes puss and blood ... (44080 views)