Cat with asthma.

Breed: abysinian
My Abby was diagnosed with a respiratory problem similar to asthma and was prescribed Flovent HFA, 110 mcg, which I filled at my regular pharmacy. It came with a dispenser for a child and upon calling my vet was told to tape a small plastic (sandwich bag) to the spout, place it over my cat's nose and mouth and deliver the dose into the bag. I should do this twice a day. I am just worried that dispensing it this way will not get a sufficient dose into my cat's nostrils. Would you recommend getting a mask made especially for cats or should I be comfortable doing it this way. By the way my cat is presently taking Prednisone 5mg #50 for skin irritation. I hope this will not interfere with the Flovent.

I have had good success with using inhalers for cats with asthma. I have never tried what you have described though, using a plastic bag.

Rather, there are two things that I have tried. Ideally, the Aerokat is my first choice. You can buy this online, or your vet can order one for you. Or, another option is to buy what is called a "pediatric spacer" at the pharmacy. This is an attachement for the puffer that was made to make it easier to administer the medication to very small children.

Cats tolerate either of these really well. Plus, they are made so that very little medication is lost.

Now, regarding the prednisone. Prednisone is an oral steroid and Flovent is an inhaled steroid. In many cases, an oral steroid is enough to keep a cat with asthma from coughing. But, quite often we have to add an inhaled one as well. It is perfectly safe to do both at the same time.

I hope that helps!

Dog eats my underwear. This is going to sound weird but this is a real question. My dog keeps licking mine... (42324 views)

Wound on ear won't heal. My puppy accidentally scratched her inner ear, the wound scabbed over but now she... (17739 views)

Dog in heat. My female min pin seams to be in heat for last week. she has a little blood around... (11076 views)

Peach stone or pancreatitis? My dog ate a peach stone. It appeared to give no problems, but two to three weeks... (7654 views)

Hamster skin problems. Hello my hamster hair has started to fall out and he got flaky skin with sore's from... (17113 views)

Perianal fistula Dear Dr Marie, My baby doggie, Mushka, has developed small pimple-sized boils... (28718 views)

Spay 10 year old dog? Hello: I adopted a Belgian tervuren 10 months ago. She was already 10 years... (18725 views)

Vet lost the lump! My cat had surgery last Thursday to have a cyst on his toe removed to see if it was... (11103 views)

My dog eats too fast. My dog eats too fast. He occasionally gags a bit or throws up shortly after eating,... (29253 views)

Breeding and vaccines. I wanted to breed my female pitbull, but I have not yet given her the annual... (17461 views)