Cat with asthma.

Breed: abysinian
My Abby was diagnosed with a respiratory problem similar to asthma and was prescribed Flovent HFA, 110 mcg, which I filled at my regular pharmacy. It came with a dispenser for a child and upon calling my vet was told to tape a small plastic (sandwich bag) to the spout, place it over my cat's nose and mouth and deliver the dose into the bag. I should do this twice a day. I am just worried that dispensing it this way will not get a sufficient dose into my cat's nostrils. Would you recommend getting a mask made especially for cats or should I be comfortable doing it this way. By the way my cat is presently taking Prednisone 5mg #50 for skin irritation. I hope this will not interfere with the Flovent.

I have had good success with using inhalers for cats with asthma. I have never tried what you have described though, using a plastic bag.

Rather, there are two things that I have tried. Ideally, the Aerokat is my first choice. You can buy this online, or your vet can order one for you. Or, another option is to buy what is called a "pediatric spacer" at the pharmacy. This is an attachement for the puffer that was made to make it easier to administer the medication to very small children.

Cats tolerate either of these really well. Plus, they are made so that very little medication is lost.

Now, regarding the prednisone. Prednisone is an oral steroid and Flovent is an inhaled steroid. In many cases, an oral steroid is enough to keep a cat with asthma from coughing. But, quite often we have to add an inhaled one as well. It is perfectly safe to do both at the same time.

I hope that helps!

Cat vomiting and not eating. Hi Dr. Marie...I wonder if you could help me figure out if my cat is really sick. ... (30407 views)

Rabbit thymoma? Okay. Hi. I'm very concerned about my bun. I have gone to the vet twice. The first... (20203 views)

Cat not eating. Hello, Dr. Haynes - My cat Simon doesn't seem to be eating or drinking very much... (50688 views)

Vet care discount for seniors. My cat vomited today(29.10.10) and she is in a quite bad mood, i want to get a check... (10308 views)

Possible silent heat. She went into heat last year in August for the first time. She has not gone into... (13227 views)

Advil for arthritis? Can you give advil or store brand anti-inflammatories for arthritis or do you have... (17565 views)

What is a CG8 blood test? Hi, my vet wants to do blood tests to see how Frankie is doing, he seems to have... (7229 views)

Why do dogs eat grass? I recently moved and walk my dog around the new neighborhood. Two times now he has... (14949 views)

Dog ate a needle. My dog had not been eating his usual amount and I was watching him, he then began to... (11819 views)

Is parvo contagious? I am sorry to have to ask this for free. I have been unemployed for over a year now.... (8885 views)