Cat with asthma.

Breed: abysinian
My Abby was diagnosed with a respiratory problem similar to asthma and was prescribed Flovent HFA, 110 mcg, which I filled at my regular pharmacy. It came with a dispenser for a child and upon calling my vet was told to tape a small plastic (sandwich bag) to the spout, place it over my cat's nose and mouth and deliver the dose into the bag. I should do this twice a day. I am just worried that dispensing it this way will not get a sufficient dose into my cat's nostrils. Would you recommend getting a mask made especially for cats or should I be comfortable doing it this way. By the way my cat is presently taking Prednisone 5mg #50 for skin irritation. I hope this will not interfere with the Flovent.

I have had good success with using inhalers for cats with asthma. I have never tried what you have described though, using a plastic bag.

Rather, there are two things that I have tried. Ideally, the Aerokat is my first choice. You can buy this online, or your vet can order one for you. Or, another option is to buy what is called a "pediatric spacer" at the pharmacy. This is an attachement for the puffer that was made to make it easier to administer the medication to very small children.

Cats tolerate either of these really well. Plus, they are made so that very little medication is lost.

Now, regarding the prednisone. Prednisone is an oral steroid and Flovent is an inhaled steroid. In many cases, an oral steroid is enough to keep a cat with asthma from coughing. But, quite often we have to add an inhaled one as well. It is perfectly safe to do both at the same time.

I hope that helps!

Itchy rash near backside My dog has what looks like a rash on her right leg, near her backside and has been... (9788 views)

lump on spay incision Hello Dr. Marie, Gracie was spayed 5 days ago. Her incision looks wonderful... (27637 views)

Infection on leg. My dog has been licking his inner thigh to the point where it is very red and there... (19536 views)

Dog looks thin. I have a 9 1/2 year old Yorkshire Terrier. Recently she has begun to get thin. I... (15941 views)

Meibomian gland adenoma. Tessa has a little black growth on her eyelid. My vet has said it's a tumor and... (15379 views)

Sedation for euthanasia? My cat was recently diagnosed with tumors in his lungs.He's no longer eating on his... (12515 views)

PPA safety for dogs. Hi, Dr. Marie: I am writing a follow-up question from a few weeks ago regarding... (14479 views)

Dog bitten by another dog my dog got bit by a boxer dog on the front leg what shall i... (13136 views)

Metronidazole for cats alternative? My 16-hr-old neutered male cat is diabetic (since 2008) Was recently prescribed... (12671 views)

Vomiting due to virus? Hello Dr.Marie. Okay so my 14 year old cat smokey has been going threw some... (17744 views)