Cat with asthma.

Breed: abysinian
My Abby was diagnosed with a respiratory problem similar to asthma and was prescribed Flovent HFA, 110 mcg, which I filled at my regular pharmacy. It came with a dispenser for a child and upon calling my vet was told to tape a small plastic (sandwich bag) to the spout, place it over my cat's nose and mouth and deliver the dose into the bag. I should do this twice a day. I am just worried that dispensing it this way will not get a sufficient dose into my cat's nostrils. Would you recommend getting a mask made especially for cats or should I be comfortable doing it this way. By the way my cat is presently taking Prednisone 5mg #50 for skin irritation. I hope this will not interfere with the Flovent.

I have had good success with using inhalers for cats with asthma. I have never tried what you have described though, using a plastic bag.

Rather, there are two things that I have tried. Ideally, the Aerokat is my first choice. You can buy this online, or your vet can order one for you. Or, another option is to buy what is called a "pediatric spacer" at the pharmacy. This is an attachement for the puffer that was made to make it easier to administer the medication to very small children.

Cats tolerate either of these really well. Plus, they are made so that very little medication is lost.

Now, regarding the prednisone. Prednisone is an oral steroid and Flovent is an inhaled steroid. In many cases, an oral steroid is enough to keep a cat with asthma from coughing. But, quite often we have to add an inhaled one as well. It is perfectly safe to do both at the same time.

I hope that helps!

Best cat foods. One cat is 13 pounds and 7 years old. He is heavy, but it doesn't look or feel like... (6269 views)

Dental care for older dog. I have an older dog with bad teeth but no way to afford doggy dental. I was... (24794 views)

Too small for spay? My cat is really small, about nine ten pounds,is it safe to get her... (8796 views)

Dog shaking and limping. Dear Dr: Since yesterday I see that my dog tires to go to the bathrooms and hide.... (12494 views)

Chin acne in a dog. My 1 year old cane corso keeps getting bumps on his chin similar to acne or zits. I... (14934 views)

Cat has scabs on neck. Hi! My cat wont stop scratching himself..he is an indoor cat and it just randomly... (13680 views)

Dog with swollen shoulder. There is something wrong with one side of my dogs shoulder. It looks swollen but if... (20234 views)

Whipworm treatment? I was looking into a preventative whip worm product as my vet keeps telling me that... (6297 views)

Limping Boxer. My dog is a boxer about 2 yrs old. My son stepped on his paw about a week ago and... (14753 views)

Swelling on ear. My 2 year old male beagle has a bump on his outer ear flap which resembles the post... (8657 views)