Dog ate collar.

Breed: Siberian Husky
Our dog ate half of a leather, metal studded collar about a week ago, which after a radiograph scan, one of those studs showed up to be in his stomach. He hasn't passed the stud yet, which makes us think it is attached to a large enough piece of leather that it won't pass into his duodenum. We don't have the money to pay for the surgery to remove it, so I was wondering if you can tell me how long it will take his stomach to digest the leather to allow the stud to pass?

This is a tough one! This object may never pass. I've seen dogs that have foreign objects in their stomach for years.

You can talk to your vet about feeding bulking diets such as a high fiber diet to help it move along.

Ultimately though either surgery or and endoscope may be necessary to remove it.

Fly a puppy in cargo? Hi Dr Marie. We live in Halifax and are buying a pup from a breeder in Winnipeg.... (5313 views)

Breeding and vaccines. I wanted to breed my female pitbull, but I have not yet given her the annual... (14761 views)

How to get cat to lose weight. I have an overweight cat - we have gotten him down by three pounds but needs to lose... (7747 views)

Yellow fluid from nose. Dr. Marie, My male pug, aged 10, stuck with a piece of apple last night (29/1), I... (5635 views)

Red spot on dog's neck. I just noticed a red spot on my pug. I will try to attach a picture. It's on his... (16127 views)

Shifting lameness and weight loss. In March, Grayson suddenly started limping on his front left paw. We took him to... (6415 views)

Puppy is very hyper. Gracey was born on July 6th..so she will be six months soon. We have had dogs all... (7606 views)

Food to dissolve bladder stones. We have a 12-13 year old dog who has been diagnosed with 5 large stones in her... (16748 views)

Older cat with congestion. First, thank u for your input on my cami that past on previous question.my husband... (5055 views)

Heart murmur in puppy. Does this sound like a "normal" heart for a 10 week old Chihuahua pup? I know it's... (6056 views)