Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Dog ate collar.

Species: Dog
Breed: Siberian Husky
Age: 6-12 months
Our dog ate half of a leather, metal studded collar about a week ago, which after a radiograph scan, one of those studs showed up to be in his stomach. He hasn't passed the stud yet, which makes us think it is attached to a large enough piece of leather that it won't pass into his duodenum. We don't have the money to pay for the surgery to remove it, so I was wondering if you can tell me how long it will take his stomach to digest the leather to allow the stud to pass?


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

This is a tough one! This object may never pass. I've seen dogs that have foreign objects in their stomach for years.

You can talk to your vet about feeding bulking diets such as a high fiber diet to help it move along.

Ultimately though either surgery or and endoscope may be necessary to remove it.

---This question was asked in our Ask A Vet For Free section.---


Do you have a pet website? Interested in learning more about SEO for Wix?


Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Lab not eating. My 13 yr old Lab, Dylan, who has NEVER turned her nose up at any kind of food, has... (24906 views)

Why did dog die? My dog, Runway, died suddenly early sunday morning, at about 1:00am. I am wondering... (15169 views)

Dog ate a needle. My dog had not been eating his usual amount and I was watching him, he then began to... (12311 views)

Swollen muzzle in cat. Hello, I gave my cat food this morning and when she went to eat it, she made this... (10008 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. My pug has been vomiting over the last few days it started two nights ago I woke up... (36098 views)

Sedative after heartworm treatment? Hello Dr. Marie, I have a 2 and a half year old boxer/lab that is being treated... (14164 views)

Problems after spay. Camie was fixed last Monday morning. We haven't been very irresponsible with... (11309 views)

8 month old kitten producing milk. Hi. My 5 month old kitten (Macy) has been trying to nurse from my 8 month old cat... (6100 views)

Penis comes out when poops. Our 13 weekd old sprocker spaniel's penis is popping out when he poos. This only... (28668 views)

Healthy cat died suddenly. Why did my cat die? I came home from work today to find that my cat had died. I... (27667 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.