Dog ate collar.

Breed: Siberian Husky
Our dog ate half of a leather, metal studded collar about a week ago, which after a radiograph scan, one of those studs showed up to be in his stomach. He hasn't passed the stud yet, which makes us think it is attached to a large enough piece of leather that it won't pass into his duodenum. We don't have the money to pay for the surgery to remove it, so I was wondering if you can tell me how long it will take his stomach to digest the leather to allow the stud to pass?

This is a tough one! This object may never pass. I've seen dogs that have foreign objects in their stomach for years.

You can talk to your vet about feeding bulking diets such as a high fiber diet to help it move along.

Ultimately though either surgery or and endoscope may be necessary to remove it.

Lab not eating. My 13 yr old Lab, Dylan, who has NEVER turned her nose up at any kind of food, has... (24906 views)

Why did dog die? My dog, Runway, died suddenly early sunday morning, at about 1:00am. I am wondering... (15169 views)

Dog ate a needle. My dog had not been eating his usual amount and I was watching him, he then began to... (12311 views)

Swollen muzzle in cat. Hello, I gave my cat food this morning and when she went to eat it, she made this... (10008 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. My pug has been vomiting over the last few days it started two nights ago I woke up... (36098 views)

Sedative after heartworm treatment? Hello Dr. Marie, I have a 2 and a half year old boxer/lab that is being treated... (14164 views)

Problems after spay. Camie was fixed last Monday morning. We haven't been very irresponsible with... (11309 views)

8 month old kitten producing milk. Hi. My 5 month old kitten (Macy) has been trying to nurse from my 8 month old cat... (6100 views)

Penis comes out when poops. Our 13 weekd old sprocker spaniel's penis is popping out when he poos. This only... (28668 views)

Healthy cat died suddenly. Why did my cat die? I came home from work today to find that my cat had died. I... (27667 views)