Rubs his nose in vomit.

Breed: Husky X
A couple of times in the last few weeks, Atka has gotten sick to his stomach and thrown up a large amount of undigested food. He's always had a sensitive stomach, and tends to eat too fast (we have a slow-feed bowl for him for this reason), and usually is right back to normal by morning, so I haven't been too concerned.

What is curious though is every time this happens (I am never home when it does) when I find the mess it looks like he's rubbed his nose on the carpet in a circle until it bled, then vomited (or the other way around). He has a little sore on his nose as a result (which I've been treating successfully with antibiotic ointment).

It's almost a perfect circle of evenly-spaced streaks of blood. Is he doing this to make himself throw up, or should I be worried about something else going on?

Hmm...this is a tough question to answer, but I am guessing that the vomiting came first.

Often, when we have dogs in our hospital, if they vomit, they will use their nose to bunch up the blankets in their cage so that they cover up the vomit.

It's possible that what Atka is doing is trying to bury the vomit so that he doesn't have to smell it any more. Or, it's possible that this is a survival instinct. In the wild, if an animal vomits this could be a sign of weakness or sickness. So, if an animal was to vomit then they would likely want to cover it up so that predators don't get a clue that a sick animal is nearby.

I'm not sure what you can do to stop this though. I think the antibiotic ointment is a good idea if it is working for you.

Hopefully that answers your question, but let me know if you have more concerns.

That makes sense. The most recent episode, the dogs got bored when I was at work and got into the dog food bag, so he got understandably sick.

The two nights since then he's peed in the house, after almost 2 years of good housetraining. I guess I'll have to crate him until his system balances out a little more. Thanks for your reply!

Swelling on neck. I just noticed that when my dog barks the right side of her neck swells about 1-2... (6904 views)

Lump on dog's neck. Hi Dr Marie We have a 4 year old female mixed breed dog. Two years ago she had a... (24505 views)

Can a dog adapt to a new home? Hello, thanks for taking the time to review my question. Ok, here it goes...The... (10393 views)

Metronidazole and liver disease. My dog was diagnosed with sudden liver failure brought on by Interceptor. He got... (32100 views)

Cat not eating. About 2 Weeks ago I took Emma to the Vet because pretty much overnight her Appetite... (13936 views)

Natural treatment for lymphoma? my dog was just diagnosed with lymphoma cancer. hes on prednisone. cant afford... (10226 views)

Dog Won't Eat My dog won't eat at all,but he still drink(not much)..He wanna move but he can't... (26479 views)

Itchy hamster. What happens if my hamster is licking itself a lot of scratching itself? Also, what... (27940 views)

How to remove stitches Hi Thanks for the feedback last week. Your advice saved our dogs life. Ok we... (28961 views)

Limping kitten my kitten has started losing alot of weight and he is limping. his back left paw is... (13346 views)