Rubs his nose in vomit.

Breed: Husky X
A couple of times in the last few weeks, Atka has gotten sick to his stomach and thrown up a large amount of undigested food. He's always had a sensitive stomach, and tends to eat too fast (we have a slow-feed bowl for him for this reason), and usually is right back to normal by morning, so I haven't been too concerned.

What is curious though is every time this happens (I am never home when it does) when I find the mess it looks like he's rubbed his nose on the carpet in a circle until it bled, then vomited (or the other way around). He has a little sore on his nose as a result (which I've been treating successfully with antibiotic ointment).

It's almost a perfect circle of evenly-spaced streaks of blood. Is he doing this to make himself throw up, or should I be worried about something else going on?

Hmm...this is a tough question to answer, but I am guessing that the vomiting came first.

Often, when we have dogs in our hospital, if they vomit, they will use their nose to bunch up the blankets in their cage so that they cover up the vomit.

It's possible that what Atka is doing is trying to bury the vomit so that he doesn't have to smell it any more. Or, it's possible that this is a survival instinct. In the wild, if an animal vomits this could be a sign of weakness or sickness. So, if an animal was to vomit then they would likely want to cover it up so that predators don't get a clue that a sick animal is nearby.

I'm not sure what you can do to stop this though. I think the antibiotic ointment is a good idea if it is working for you.

Hopefully that answers your question, but let me know if you have more concerns.

That makes sense. The most recent episode, the dogs got bored when I was at work and got into the dog food bag, so he got understandably sick.

The two nights since then he's peed in the house, after almost 2 years of good housetraining. I guess I'll have to crate him until his system balances out a little more. Thanks for your reply!

Dog drank a mug of hot chocolate. what should i do my dog is 2,7 kg and she might die because she is SO small please... (34186 views)

Neomycin dangerous to cats? by fault i wish i hadn't, i gave my cat eardrops containing neomycin (i only gave... (17653 views)

Bumps on schnauzer. Hi Dr. Marie, Firstly, I'd like to thank you for this very valuable, yet... (32785 views)

Flea problems. My dog Roxie has had a flea dip and has had her last months flea treatment, but she... (9878 views)

Vomiting bile. My dog has been throwing up all day, and all though the night. The throw up is... (42287 views)

Bald on belly. My cat is around seven years old and recently started going bald on her stomach.... (11888 views)

Peripheral Nerve Sheath Tumor Two years ago, Sheena was diagnosed with neurofibrosarcoma, or peripheral nerve... (13736 views)

Are chicken feces toxic? I've heard that chicken poop is bad for dogs, is this true? if so, what can i do... (96122 views)

Hairless cat skin problem. I recently took my hairless cats collar off and there was a small red sore were the... (11107 views)

Does fampridine help with spinal cord trauma? Has there been any success, or even attempt, at treating paralysis in cats using... (12654 views)