Rubs his nose in vomit.

Breed: Husky X
A couple of times in the last few weeks, Atka has gotten sick to his stomach and thrown up a large amount of undigested food. He's always had a sensitive stomach, and tends to eat too fast (we have a slow-feed bowl for him for this reason), and usually is right back to normal by morning, so I haven't been too concerned.

What is curious though is every time this happens (I am never home when it does) when I find the mess it looks like he's rubbed his nose on the carpet in a circle until it bled, then vomited (or the other way around). He has a little sore on his nose as a result (which I've been treating successfully with antibiotic ointment).

It's almost a perfect circle of evenly-spaced streaks of blood. Is he doing this to make himself throw up, or should I be worried about something else going on?

Hmm...this is a tough question to answer, but I am guessing that the vomiting came first.

Often, when we have dogs in our hospital, if they vomit, they will use their nose to bunch up the blankets in their cage so that they cover up the vomit.

It's possible that what Atka is doing is trying to bury the vomit so that he doesn't have to smell it any more. Or, it's possible that this is a survival instinct. In the wild, if an animal vomits this could be a sign of weakness or sickness. So, if an animal was to vomit then they would likely want to cover it up so that predators don't get a clue that a sick animal is nearby.

I'm not sure what you can do to stop this though. I think the antibiotic ointment is a good idea if it is working for you.

Hopefully that answers your question, but let me know if you have more concerns.

That makes sense. The most recent episode, the dogs got bored when I was at work and got into the dog food bag, so he got understandably sick.

The two nights since then he's peed in the house, after almost 2 years of good housetraining. I guess I'll have to crate him until his system balances out a little more. Thanks for your reply!

Time for euthanasia? I am trying to make the decision on putting my dog down. She no long is herself and... (14975 views)

Is my dog in heat? my dog was really sick and she wouldnt eat. then after a few days she got better and... (32031 views)

Dog waking every 2 hours. Our dog gets congested, breathes through his mouth, his mouth dries out and he wants... (25370 views)

Should surgery be done? I have a female labrador, who is six year old and was nutered when she was 1 year... (5504 views)

Swollen vulva. "I have a female Rat Terrier who is 6 months old and I was wondering if its normal... (29617 views)

Is my dog pregnant? i think my dog is pregnet she has big nipples and she is getting lazy she was in... (4829 views)

Coughing cat. i have a indoor cat - about 10 years old... she had been staying in our... (10734 views)

Dog leaps to her feet. Why does my 12 year old lame Siberian Husky suddenly leap to her feet and walk off.... (7231 views)

Factory Farms and CAFOS Hello my name is Alyssa. I am a senior at FD Roosevelt Senior High School. I am... (6197 views)

Can a feral cat be tamed? Dr. Marie - a few months ago I came across a feral cat who is now named Gypsy. I... (7284 views)