19 year old cat died.

Breed: Domestic Short Hair
My 19 yo childhood cat died this morning and my parents, who aren't the sort of people to spend money on vets (sorry, but they're ex-farmers!) and can't really afford it anyway, are wondering about the cause of death. He had been showing signs of old age for a couple of years now - general loss of muscle condition, more frequent stomach upsets. I also suspect he may have had a melanoma when I saw him a few months ago. He was found yesterday morning with a nosebleed and over the next 24 hours gradually lost all motor function starting from meowing and swallowing to eventually lifting his head etc. He had apparently been off his food in the last couple of days and, I've just found out, may have been losing his sight over the past year or so.
My gut feeling is possible anuerysm (spot the human nurse!), but my parents are wondering whether it was poisoning and are thinking about which neighbour could have done it. The bit that I can't figure out whether it's common in cats or not is the nosebleed, as different information sites say it's a cause of different things. Would be nice to be able to give them an answer before they bring out the pitchforks!

Unfortunately no one is going to be able to say what happened to your cat without doing a post mortem exam. Really though, at 19, it is very likely that this was a natural death and not poisoning.

There are a great number of possibilities. The nosebleed doesn't really tell us much. It could be that the body was starting to shut down and going into something called DIC. When animals go into DIC then the body uses up all of the platelets. Platelets are required in order to clot blood and so we would see bleeding.

A tumor in the nose or chest is a possibility as well.

We don't tend to see aneurysms in cats, but anything is possible.

So sorry for your loss.

Bladder stones and crystals. Hello Dr. Marie: Last fall and again in April of this year, Jazz got what was... (9172 views)

High ALT in a dog. Autumn went to the vet on Sept 29, 2013 with a problem jumping and walking on... (14060 views)

Unneutered dog bit child. Hello Dr. Marie, Our 9 year old Border Collie has no history of aggression or... (8004 views)

Cat won't eat or drink. Licorice doesn't want to eat much or drink. He is lethargic, but his gums are pink... (19997 views)

Coughing Dog. my dog is coffing all of a suden and hes haveing trouble breathing but hes acting as... (12865 views)

Why is my dog limping? hello we have just woke up this morning and found my american bulldog limping on his... (36199 views)

Eye medicine for my cat. We adopted A domestic short haired cat from our local animal shelter. He had an eye... (7530 views)

Clindamycin overdose? I have been caring for Sox, a feral. Awhile back Sox started coughing on and off... (6293 views)

53 days pregnant. My daughter got a dachshund from one of her inlaws about three months ago. Shortly... (44171 views)

Floppy ear in German Shepherd. Hello my name is nick and i have a purebred west german shepherd from working lines.... (19407 views)