19 year old cat died.

Breed: Domestic Short Hair
My 19 yo childhood cat died this morning and my parents, who aren't the sort of people to spend money on vets (sorry, but they're ex-farmers!) and can't really afford it anyway, are wondering about the cause of death. He had been showing signs of old age for a couple of years now - general loss of muscle condition, more frequent stomach upsets. I also suspect he may have had a melanoma when I saw him a few months ago. He was found yesterday morning with a nosebleed and over the next 24 hours gradually lost all motor function starting from meowing and swallowing to eventually lifting his head etc. He had apparently been off his food in the last couple of days and, I've just found out, may have been losing his sight over the past year or so.
My gut feeling is possible anuerysm (spot the human nurse!), but my parents are wondering whether it was poisoning and are thinking about which neighbour could have done it. The bit that I can't figure out whether it's common in cats or not is the nosebleed, as different information sites say it's a cause of different things. Would be nice to be able to give them an answer before they bring out the pitchforks!

Unfortunately no one is going to be able to say what happened to your cat without doing a post mortem exam. Really though, at 19, it is very likely that this was a natural death and not poisoning.

There are a great number of possibilities. The nosebleed doesn't really tell us much. It could be that the body was starting to shut down and going into something called DIC. When animals go into DIC then the body uses up all of the platelets. Platelets are required in order to clot blood and so we would see bleeding.

A tumor in the nose or chest is a possibility as well.

We don't tend to see aneurysms in cats, but anything is possible.

So sorry for your loss.

Kitten's eye is sealed shut. My kitten got either calici virus or the herpes virus and it affected one eye. For... (18073 views)

Brown near cat's vagina. Talia has brown in her fur around her vagina and I wiped it with a baby wipe and it... (17741 views)

Bump on tail tip. I noticed a small bump near the very end of my dog's tail, about 1/2 inch wide. She... (40816 views)

Heavy breathing in dog. My dog seems to be panting and breathing heavily quite often, almost all the time,... (15193 views)

Dachshund not feeling well. Dr, We have a new baby girl and Primo has slept in our bed since he was a puppy,... (8972 views)

Abscess on dog's neck. We have been keeping an eye on a hard lump on my boxers upper neck, by ear. It... (40182 views)

Gerbil's head exploded. We have had two gerbils for a couple of years but last night one of there heads... (15244 views)

Limping, stiff chihuahua. Hey my chiuahua dog hasn't been himself lately. He walks really stiff and can not... (13525 views)

Lump on cat's abdomen. My cat has a round, hard spot in her stomach. It has a red dot in the center It... (14407 views)

Blind, deaf and no sense of smell. Jack was diagnosed as hyperthyroid in February and has been on methimazole since... (6839 views)