19 year old cat died.

Breed: Domestic Short Hair
My 19 yo childhood cat died this morning and my parents, who aren't the sort of people to spend money on vets (sorry, but they're ex-farmers!) and can't really afford it anyway, are wondering about the cause of death. He had been showing signs of old age for a couple of years now - general loss of muscle condition, more frequent stomach upsets. I also suspect he may have had a melanoma when I saw him a few months ago. He was found yesterday morning with a nosebleed and over the next 24 hours gradually lost all motor function starting from meowing and swallowing to eventually lifting his head etc. He had apparently been off his food in the last couple of days and, I've just found out, may have been losing his sight over the past year or so.
My gut feeling is possible anuerysm (spot the human nurse!), but my parents are wondering whether it was poisoning and are thinking about which neighbour could have done it. The bit that I can't figure out whether it's common in cats or not is the nosebleed, as different information sites say it's a cause of different things. Would be nice to be able to give them an answer before they bring out the pitchforks!

Unfortunately no one is going to be able to say what happened to your cat without doing a post mortem exam. Really though, at 19, it is very likely that this was a natural death and not poisoning.

There are a great number of possibilities. The nosebleed doesn't really tell us much. It could be that the body was starting to shut down and going into something called DIC. When animals go into DIC then the body uses up all of the platelets. Platelets are required in order to clot blood and so we would see bleeding.

A tumor in the nose or chest is a possibility as well.

We don't tend to see aneurysms in cats, but anything is possible.

So sorry for your loss.

Robaxin and Metacam. Rocky has been having back pain for over a week now. He's had this problem before... (15953 views)

Trouble breathing when drinking cold water. My dog Valentino is 16 years old and many times when he drinks water or he is... (10340 views)

Cat is urinating on my bed. Hi Dr Marie, You may not remember me - I'm from Australia, my partner and I email... (6956 views)

Anisocoria in 15 year old cat. Taz is 15 years old. For the past couple weeks I have noticed that her right eye is... (5076 views)

Recessed vulva I have a customer that claims the dog she bought from me has perivulvar pyoderma. ... (24428 views)

Cat sick after prednisone. Two weeks ago LittleMan had something like an infection in the corners of his mouth... (16832 views)

What is this red lump on my dog's leg? dear dr marie, in the last week this oozy boil-like bump has shown up on my dog`s... (145830 views)

Eye out of socket. MY PUPPY JUST GOT BIT BY A LARGE DOG IN THE LEFT EYE. THE EYE LOOKS LIKE ITS OUT OF... (9191 views)

My cat's fur is falling out. My cat's fur is falling out. Patchy and balding. I have 2 cats, the other is... (13060 views)

Cancerous growth in dog's mouth? Hi, I have just spotted a growth in my dogs mouth. What does mouth cancer look like... (11632 views)