19 year old cat died.

Breed: Domestic Short Hair
My 19 yo childhood cat died this morning and my parents, who aren't the sort of people to spend money on vets (sorry, but they're ex-farmers!) and can't really afford it anyway, are wondering about the cause of death. He had been showing signs of old age for a couple of years now - general loss of muscle condition, more frequent stomach upsets. I also suspect he may have had a melanoma when I saw him a few months ago. He was found yesterday morning with a nosebleed and over the next 24 hours gradually lost all motor function starting from meowing and swallowing to eventually lifting his head etc. He had apparently been off his food in the last couple of days and, I've just found out, may have been losing his sight over the past year or so.
My gut feeling is possible anuerysm (spot the human nurse!), but my parents are wondering whether it was poisoning and are thinking about which neighbour could have done it. The bit that I can't figure out whether it's common in cats or not is the nosebleed, as different information sites say it's a cause of different things. Would be nice to be able to give them an answer before they bring out the pitchforks!

Unfortunately no one is going to be able to say what happened to your cat without doing a post mortem exam. Really though, at 19, it is very likely that this was a natural death and not poisoning.

There are a great number of possibilities. The nosebleed doesn't really tell us much. It could be that the body was starting to shut down and going into something called DIC. When animals go into DIC then the body uses up all of the platelets. Platelets are required in order to clot blood and so we would see bleeding.

A tumor in the nose or chest is a possibility as well.

We don't tend to see aneurysms in cats, but anything is possible.

So sorry for your loss.

Spinning on bum. my 8yr old female jack russell sits down and puts her head in the air and spins... (39100 views)

Parvo carrier? A dog by the name of Bo was pulled from the pound along with some puppies, the... (26885 views)

Swollen neck on a cat. my 4 month old male cat, desexed vaccinated and everything one more shot to go tho.... (5147 views)

Is ketoconazole safe? Hi. My 6 y/o Papillon has suffered fron skin problems his whole life. I've been told... (4027 views)

Jaw cancer? Hello doctor. My question is about my 8-10 year old cat. He has had teeth removed do... (10769 views)

Hypothyroidism in Sheltie. Hi My dog had a thyroid test and the results came back as .8 which he said was low... (6464 views)

Need spanish to be a vet? I am wishing to go into the veterinary workforce, and I would love to know if you... (10327 views)

Itchy coat. my dog itches and her coat seems to be popped up at various places, have cheched... (6061 views)

Salivating dog. Seizures? My dog started to twist and chew on her tongue and stick it out on her right side... (10307 views)

Sore eye in a dog. Hi, My Yorkie's left eye is squinting; it looks like she can't open it. She has... (23056 views)