Flea problems.

Breed: ragdoll
I have a ragdoll cat who weighs 15 lbs. I have tried different types of flea control products-frontline, advantage, bio spot-some help, but i haven't found anything that is completely effective. I belive this is due to his size and long, thick coat. Is it safe to use a vial and a half of one of the products, or is there a product that would be more effective?

I really haven't had issues with flea products losing their effectiveness because of a long coat. However, if you are not able to get the product on the skin then this could be contributing to the problem. You could possibly have your vet, or a groomer shave a small patch where you can apply the product.

Most likely though there is another issue. The most common reasons for flea products not to work are these:

-You need to treat EVERY animal in the house
-You need to treat them for AT LEAST 3 months each
-You need to use a prescription strength product. Don't waste money on pet store products like bio spot.

For more detailed information, see this article on fleas.

Bald spot on cat's back. My friend's 1 1/2 yr. old cat has been losing the hair from it's tail for about 10... (39994 views)

What caused my cat to die? Hello Dr. Marie - I found my cat dead yesterday morning under my neighbors van,... (36882 views)

Black poop and worms. my dog has worms, and we gave her medicine today but she wont eat anythingg and has... (11072 views)

Wart on dog's paw. Hello Dr Marie, I'm hoping you can help me identify a lump that I have found on... (25078 views)

Wheezing, sneezing kitten. my kitten is 3 and a half months old recently she has been sleeping a whole lot and... (11443 views)

Flea Allergy Hello Shelby has two to three spots that she has been licking and chewing on by... (11456 views)

Superglue for dog's wound. He had a cut on his leg from broken glass fairly deep but not long, nor puncture. I... (23980 views)

Very thirsty kitten. Hi there my 9 week old male kitten has been drinking water non stop from his bowl... (10566 views)

How long for Frontline to work An older cat has been living under my porch for a while. I am interested in bringing... (9129 views)

Swollen eye and vomiting. Hi Dr. Marie. Our dog's eye swelled up the other night withing an hour.....it went... (47764 views)