Flea problems.

Breed: ragdoll
I have a ragdoll cat who weighs 15 lbs. I have tried different types of flea control products-frontline, advantage, bio spot-some help, but i haven't found anything that is completely effective. I belive this is due to his size and long, thick coat. Is it safe to use a vial and a half of one of the products, or is there a product that would be more effective?

I really haven't had issues with flea products losing their effectiveness because of a long coat. However, if you are not able to get the product on the skin then this could be contributing to the problem. You could possibly have your vet, or a groomer shave a small patch where you can apply the product.

Most likely though there is another issue. The most common reasons for flea products not to work are these:

-You need to treat EVERY animal in the house
-You need to treat them for AT LEAST 3 months each
-You need to use a prescription strength product. Don't waste money on pet store products like bio spot.

For more detailed information, see this article on fleas.

Black skin patches on dog. My dog started developing patches on his side a few months ago. His hair is falling... (17785 views)

Cat with bone cancer. When I came home on 4th of JUly Toesy (inside cat)was limping and not using front... (12336 views)

Dog pooped red and black balls. My dog once threw up a screw and has been eating her poop. Recently I found red and... (12558 views)

Dog leaking urine when sleeping. My dog is leaking urine when she is sleeping. She pees on the bed or on the couch. ... (120099 views)

Puppy vomiting and not eating. my do seems to be sick she will not really eat and she has lost most of her energy... (13826 views)

Bromonidine (like amitraz) toxicity. MY DOG SWALLOWED SOME BRIMONIDINE TARTRATE OPHTHALMIC 5 ML SHE IS VERY WEAK AND... (12869 views)

Skin lesions on dog's face. HI, my Chikita has been having some skin trouble and cant exactly figure out what it... (5555 views)

High LDDS and ALKP Hello Dr. Marie You might remember me and Oreo from past questions? Well, Oreo... (5776 views)

Poop caked on bum. I saw that my dog was acting stangely, so I examined him and saw that his bottom is... (22115 views)

Dog is vomiting again. Hi Dr. Marie, Last Tuesday (Dec 6) I came home and Max had vomitted up some bile... (10769 views)