Flea problems.

Breed: ragdoll
I have a ragdoll cat who weighs 15 lbs. I have tried different types of flea control products-frontline, advantage, bio spot-some help, but i haven't found anything that is completely effective. I belive this is due to his size and long, thick coat. Is it safe to use a vial and a half of one of the products, or is there a product that would be more effective?

I really haven't had issues with flea products losing their effectiveness because of a long coat. However, if you are not able to get the product on the skin then this could be contributing to the problem. You could possibly have your vet, or a groomer shave a small patch where you can apply the product.

Most likely though there is another issue. The most common reasons for flea products not to work are these:

-You need to treat EVERY animal in the house
-You need to treat them for AT LEAST 3 months each
-You need to use a prescription strength product. Don't waste money on pet store products like bio spot.

For more detailed information, see this article on fleas.

Hair loss in patches. Hi we live in a remote community up near Darwin in Australia. Four weeks ago we took... (7714 views)

Kittens died. My 9-10 month old cat had five kittens. No problem delivering. Kittens seemed... (8911 views)

Treatment for kidney disease. My cat has recently been hospitalized for kidney failure. They have her on fluids... (3495 views)

Ear cartilage broken. someone has broke the cartridge in my dogs ear by rubbing them hard. what can i do... (18083 views)

Dog biting at tail. My dog Kita is biting her tail down to the skin and Im getting worried because our... (6715 views)

Cat pawing at mouth My cat has been like this for 2 days now, he looked like he was chokeing at first,... (21978 views)

Dog pees when someone pets him. Cooper is 5 months old and neutered. He pees when anyone pets him, talks to him or... (3959 views)

Head tremor in a cat. Dear Dr.Marie, My cat Wildwood has been lethargic for the past 2 days, along with... (27193 views)

Polysporin on cats? My cat is 21 years old. I HAVE had her to the vet 3 times now with open sores on... (50801 views)

Very sick dog. Last night I noticed my dog had diarrhea and bad gas, but I thought she was just a... (12084 views)