Cyst or cancer?

Breed: Cocker Spaniel mix
About a year ago, Bella started limping occasionally. When I inspected her leg, I found a marble sized lump. After it grew, we took her to the vet, who said it was probably cancerous (he didn't do any tests) and advised putting her to sleep. Before doing that, we wanted a second opinion, especially since she was acting normal besides her lump and limping. The next vet said it was not cancer, and after some bloodwork he said it was probably a bacterial infection. The paperwork says no fungal organisms observed, sheets of partially keratinized squamous epithelial cells are present, suggesting inflammation could be associated with follicular cyst formation or adnexal dysplasia. So, he prescribed antibiotics (Cephalexin and Baytril) and after two weeks the lump hasn't shrunk. She's still active and is eating pretty well, but has started eating a lot of dirt. I'm honestly just wondering if I'm needlessly making her suffer. What could be causing the pica? Is it too hard for an old dog to heal an infection like that? Can we do anything to speed up her recovery? Thank you!

Cases like this are frustrating...especially when you are hearing different things from different vets.

It sounds like the second vet did a biopsy of the lump. The results that you quoted basically say that there is no obvious evidence of cancer but that there is a good chance that this lump is a cyst. You can never say 100% for certain if there is no cancer, but it sounds unlikely.

If this is an inflamed cyst, then antibiotics *may* help, but they may not. Sometimes surgery is necessary to cure a cyst. Or, it may just get better on its own over the next couple of weeks. By "getting better" I mean that it may not go away but it might just cease to be uncomfortable.

At this point, given that report I think that euthanasia is *probably* premature, especially if she is eating and drinking well.

But then we have the issue of dirt eating. This can sometimes be a sign of anemia (low red blood cell level). In people, anemia is often due to iron deficiency, but it's not usually the case in dogs. It's not a bad idea to have your vet repeat the red blood cell level and see if it is decreasing. There are many possible reasons for decreasing red cells, but I do get worried about this type of problem in an older dog as it can be a sign of a hidden cancer or other serious illness.

I wish I could give you more advice on how to speed her recovery but it sounds like time is necessary and possibly more tests.

Guinea pig losing teeth. its mouth is sore and can only chew mashed up food its loosing his teeth to its not... (8486 views)

Does cat have cancer? Dear Dr Marie, I am sending this letter in order to ask your advice about the... (12141 views)

Coughing. Antifungals. My seven year old, male Lab cross, Nero, has a strange condition that I have not... (7320 views)

Dog ate fertilizer. Hi Dr. Marie, Jake, a 25 lb Border Collie mix ate a small amount of a grass... (44344 views)

Older dog losing weight. I have Sheppard/Lab mixed breed about 13 years old. She is a large dog and has been... (73626 views)

Sheltie leaking urine. We have noticed that my spayed 5 1/2 year female Sheltie has been leaking a little... (13648 views)

Puppy has a broken leg. Dear Marie, I have 9 weeks old Pomeranian. She broke her right front leg. She is... (38778 views)

Hamster with cushing's disease hi a am mina. i have 10 hamester. Unfortunately "blaki" (my Hamster) Maybe have... (9245 views)

Euthanasia question. Sad day! I had to put my beloved Angel to sleep. Still unnerved by what happened. ... (5116 views)

Starting pay of a vet. I'm a student hoping to study Vet Med but I might need to get student loan for the... (5193 views)