Cyst or cancer?

Breed: Cocker Spaniel mix
About a year ago, Bella started limping occasionally. When I inspected her leg, I found a marble sized lump. After it grew, we took her to the vet, who said it was probably cancerous (he didn't do any tests) and advised putting her to sleep. Before doing that, we wanted a second opinion, especially since she was acting normal besides her lump and limping. The next vet said it was not cancer, and after some bloodwork he said it was probably a bacterial infection. The paperwork says no fungal organisms observed, sheets of partially keratinized squamous epithelial cells are present, suggesting inflammation could be associated with follicular cyst formation or adnexal dysplasia. So, he prescribed antibiotics (Cephalexin and Baytril) and after two weeks the lump hasn't shrunk. She's still active and is eating pretty well, but has started eating a lot of dirt. I'm honestly just wondering if I'm needlessly making her suffer. What could be causing the pica? Is it too hard for an old dog to heal an infection like that? Can we do anything to speed up her recovery? Thank you!

Cases like this are frustrating...especially when you are hearing different things from different vets.

It sounds like the second vet did a biopsy of the lump. The results that you quoted basically say that there is no obvious evidence of cancer but that there is a good chance that this lump is a cyst. You can never say 100% for certain if there is no cancer, but it sounds unlikely.

If this is an inflamed cyst, then antibiotics *may* help, but they may not. Sometimes surgery is necessary to cure a cyst. Or, it may just get better on its own over the next couple of weeks. By "getting better" I mean that it may not go away but it might just cease to be uncomfortable.

At this point, given that report I think that euthanasia is *probably* premature, especially if she is eating and drinking well.

But then we have the issue of dirt eating. This can sometimes be a sign of anemia (low red blood cell level). In people, anemia is often due to iron deficiency, but it's not usually the case in dogs. It's not a bad idea to have your vet repeat the red blood cell level and see if it is decreasing. There are many possible reasons for decreasing red cells, but I do get worried about this type of problem in an older dog as it can be a sign of a hidden cancer or other serious illness.

I wish I could give you more advice on how to speed her recovery but it sounds like time is necessary and possibly more tests.

Risks of liver biopsy? Good morning Dr. Marie! Remember me? From last month with Oreo's bile acid test... (25152 views)

Possible cherry eye? My dog has red bags coming up from under his lower eye lids and covering half his... (9560 views)

Does Prozac cause diarrhea in dogs? I want to know if continuing diarrhea is a possible side effect of prozac. My dog... (27635 views)

Missed vaccines. My dog is approximatley 4 years old and hasnt had any injections since she was... (7072 views)

Dental problems in 20 year old cat. My cat Jack, who is 20 yrs old and has a predominant heart murmur and obviously a... (15697 views)

Do you like being a vet? Hi Dr. Marie I have 2 cats and their names are simba and angel and they're very... (12572 views)

Guinea pig jumping out of my arms. I have had my very young (baby/toddler equivalent)guinea pig for about three weeks.... (8413 views)

What are these little brown bugs. hi um my puppy named chesley is 6-8 months andi just got her recently i cant remeber... (26324 views)

Heat symptoms pregnant cat. My cat is pregnant but still acting like she's in season, this has been going on now... (7892 views)

Spay 10 year old dog? Hello: I adopted a Belgian tervuren 10 months ago. She was already 10 years... (21344 views)