Cyst or cancer?

Breed: Cocker Spaniel mix
About a year ago, Bella started limping occasionally. When I inspected her leg, I found a marble sized lump. After it grew, we took her to the vet, who said it was probably cancerous (he didn't do any tests) and advised putting her to sleep. Before doing that, we wanted a second opinion, especially since she was acting normal besides her lump and limping. The next vet said it was not cancer, and after some bloodwork he said it was probably a bacterial infection. The paperwork says no fungal organisms observed, sheets of partially keratinized squamous epithelial cells are present, suggesting inflammation could be associated with follicular cyst formation or adnexal dysplasia. So, he prescribed antibiotics (Cephalexin and Baytril) and after two weeks the lump hasn't shrunk. She's still active and is eating pretty well, but has started eating a lot of dirt. I'm honestly just wondering if I'm needlessly making her suffer. What could be causing the pica? Is it too hard for an old dog to heal an infection like that? Can we do anything to speed up her recovery? Thank you!

Cases like this are frustrating...especially when you are hearing different things from different vets.

It sounds like the second vet did a biopsy of the lump. The results that you quoted basically say that there is no obvious evidence of cancer but that there is a good chance that this lump is a cyst. You can never say 100% for certain if there is no cancer, but it sounds unlikely.

If this is an inflamed cyst, then antibiotics *may* help, but they may not. Sometimes surgery is necessary to cure a cyst. Or, it may just get better on its own over the next couple of weeks. By "getting better" I mean that it may not go away but it might just cease to be uncomfortable.

At this point, given that report I think that euthanasia is *probably* premature, especially if she is eating and drinking well.

But then we have the issue of dirt eating. This can sometimes be a sign of anemia (low red blood cell level). In people, anemia is often due to iron deficiency, but it's not usually the case in dogs. It's not a bad idea to have your vet repeat the red blood cell level and see if it is decreasing. There are many possible reasons for decreasing red cells, but I do get worried about this type of problem in an older dog as it can be a sign of a hidden cancer or other serious illness.

I wish I could give you more advice on how to speed her recovery but it sounds like time is necessary and possibly more tests.

Epsom salt vs table salt. hi my cat keeps limping on his leg i have checked it and it isnt his leg thats the... (14465 views)

Cat died. Hit by car? My cat was found a few days ago under my neighbours car. He had been bleeding from... (24612 views)

Lump near nipple. She has a lump(i think so).. It's hard, and about a marble's size in... (9459 views)

Lump near spay incision. Dog has sore on paw looks like a circle and it's very tender to touch. It has... (20729 views)

Sick puppy. Our Westie puppy, Minnie, is 12 weeks old today. We got her 23 days ago. From Day... (9671 views)

Bloated and leaking urine. This past week my 12 year old german shepard has been wetting herself and last night... (18742 views)

Positive leishmaniasis test. my dog has just had a blood test result for leishmans the result is 0.1 and requires... (7628 views)

Seborrheic dermatitis in Irish Setter. i have a 12yr old irish setter who has seborrheic dermatitis. she has the scaley... (10289 views)

Dog ate acorn Dear Dr. Marie: Back again! While on a walk tonight, Jammy may have gotten a bit... (95073 views)

Dog can't pee after accident. brandy got ran over about 4 days ago,,, she is walking with a lamp,,, eating and... (13887 views)