Cyst or cancer?

Breed: Cocker Spaniel mix
About a year ago, Bella started limping occasionally. When I inspected her leg, I found a marble sized lump. After it grew, we took her to the vet, who said it was probably cancerous (he didn't do any tests) and advised putting her to sleep. Before doing that, we wanted a second opinion, especially since she was acting normal besides her lump and limping. The next vet said it was not cancer, and after some bloodwork he said it was probably a bacterial infection. The paperwork says no fungal organisms observed, sheets of partially keratinized squamous epithelial cells are present, suggesting inflammation could be associated with follicular cyst formation or adnexal dysplasia. So, he prescribed antibiotics (Cephalexin and Baytril) and after two weeks the lump hasn't shrunk. She's still active and is eating pretty well, but has started eating a lot of dirt. I'm honestly just wondering if I'm needlessly making her suffer. What could be causing the pica? Is it too hard for an old dog to heal an infection like that? Can we do anything to speed up her recovery? Thank you!

Cases like this are frustrating...especially when you are hearing different things from different vets.

It sounds like the second vet did a biopsy of the lump. The results that you quoted basically say that there is no obvious evidence of cancer but that there is a good chance that this lump is a cyst. You can never say 100% for certain if there is no cancer, but it sounds unlikely.

If this is an inflamed cyst, then antibiotics *may* help, but they may not. Sometimes surgery is necessary to cure a cyst. Or, it may just get better on its own over the next couple of weeks. By "getting better" I mean that it may not go away but it might just cease to be uncomfortable.

At this point, given that report I think that euthanasia is *probably* premature, especially if she is eating and drinking well.

But then we have the issue of dirt eating. This can sometimes be a sign of anemia (low red blood cell level). In people, anemia is often due to iron deficiency, but it's not usually the case in dogs. It's not a bad idea to have your vet repeat the red blood cell level and see if it is decreasing. There are many possible reasons for decreasing red cells, but I do get worried about this type of problem in an older dog as it can be a sign of a hidden cancer or other serious illness.

I wish I could give you more advice on how to speed her recovery but it sounds like time is necessary and possibly more tests.

Swollen lab. Hi, my name is Ron Lamoureux. One month ago I noticed that my 2 yr old Lab... (9672 views)

Did air freshener kill my dog? hi. my dog, simon, a jack russell/poodle, died of kidney failure which was caused... (11717 views)

Won't eat kidney diet. My cat is 17 years old. She has kidney disease and has been on kidney food (both... (14667 views)

Food to dissolve bladder stones. We have a 12-13 year old dog who has been diagnosed with 5 large stones in her... (17839 views)

Puppy has a broken leg. Dear Marie, I have 9 weeks old Pomeranian. She broke her right front leg. She is... (39876 views)

Lump on cat's abdomen. My cat has a round, hard spot in her stomach. It has a red dot in the center It... (15076 views)

Accident in bed. Hi Dr. Marie, I am writing to you because Max (who normally sleeps in our bed at... (9945 views)

Cat attacked by dogs. We have 5 dogs and 4 cats (mostly rescues) who have grown up together and have... (31752 views)

Very sick kitten. Thursday 4/21 daughter rescued kitten from tomcat in my mom's backyard. Kitten... (21165 views)

older cat with itchy ears. Dear Dr Marie: For the last 3-4 weeks Emily has had itchy ears. She scratches... (10967 views)