Histolytica in cats.

Breed: Tabby
My cat has low levels of histolytica. I was informed it was common and not necessary to treat at this time. If there were symptoms then it would become necessary they went on to say. I love my vet very much however it would seem to me that this should be medicated. Is it common that a cat or dog has this frequently? Will the animals immune system destroy it? Could I use Clindamycin to treat even though Metronidazole appears to be the drug of choice?

Hi and thanks for an interesting question. Histolytica is not something that is common in my area. In fact, I can't recall ever dealing with it.

As far as I can remember, when cats are treated for histolytica, the reason for treatment is mostly to reduce the symptoms. If Timmy doesn't have any symptoms then treatment probably would not do much.

However, I would like to do some more research for you. My main resource for finding case reports and the latest information on what other vets think about conditions like this appears to be down right now. I will probably have access after the weekend though.

At this point my answer would be to trust your vet's advice. However, give me a couple of days and I will give you a more in depth answer.

Thanks very much,

I don't have much money but I felt inclined to send you another $8 for the research. I am interested in what you find out. Thank you Dr. Marie.

Kindly,

Thank you so much for your patience and waiting for my response. I now have more information for you.

Histolytica (also known as Amebiasis) is quite rare. Your cat would have ingested a cyst from contaminated food or water and now the parasite is most likely living in another form called a trophozoite in the large intestine. In some animals this can cause serious diarrhea. But, in many animals there are no symptoms.

People can definitely get histolytica. However, they can't get it from cats or dogs. Cats and dogs only pass the trophozoite life form and not the cysts. A human has to ingest the cysts in order to get infected.

I did some more research to find out what the general consensus is amongst vets as to whether or not a cat with histolytica should be treated. My research is primarily on Veterinary Information Network where almost 50,000 vets collaborate and discuss their cases. What I found is that it is extremely rare for cats to be diagnosed with histolytica! Now I don't feel so bad for not knowing more about the condition. :)

The main problem here is that no one really knows whether metronidazole (or any other medication for that matter) is really effective against Amebiasis. It might be...but it might not. And giving metronidazole to a cat is not always easy. It tends to be a very untasty pill even when compounded or made into a liquid. It's not something that cats take well.

If this were my case I would be advising you to keep an eye on Timmy. If he developed watery diarrhea then I likely would go ahead and treat with metronidazole. But otherwise, I probably would not.

I hope this has helped. Please let me know if you have further questions.

Cat with crusty areas. Hello, I'd like some advice on diagnosis and treatment for my cat. She has had... (14142 views)

Did convenia cause death? Dear Dr. Marie, My beloved pet has died just seven days after receiving a shot of... (14143 views)

Dog with swollen face. our dog woke up with a swollen face. i think that something might have bitten him. ... (12965 views)

Puppy with bald spots. Hello, Im concerned about my dog, she is only 4 months but she is barely growing... (9464 views)

Vomiting undigested food. I read in a magazine Woman's World about your service to give pet medical advice. My... (20937 views)

Sudden death in papillon My Doctor, I had a six year old female Papillon. She was in seemingly perfect and... (9815 views)

Does high pitch affect seizures? Hello there, I've been living with my roommate for a year and her dog barks at me... (12676 views)

Dog ate a grape. Hi, My 2 year old miniature schnauzer ate a red seedless grape about 20 minutes... (12863 views)

Vaccinate for parvo before 6 weeks? We have a litter of labrador puppies. They are 5 and 1/2 weeks old. Can we... (10517 views)

Thin older cat. Dr. Marie, My cat is very thin although he eats every 1/2 hour, he has also... (13145 views)