Stress from travel.

Breed: Long haired Scottish
Hello, I have a question about my cat. He is 3 years old and he arrived in the UK from Singapore together with his brother on Thursday and he was declared healthy at customs by DEFRA. He has not ate or drank much and has had a little diarrhea. He mostly spends his time on my bed sleeping and purring. Could this be stress from the travelling and the move? He has an history of UTI from 2 years ago and is overweight. I had not seen my cats for 6 weeks as I had to leave to the UK asap and it took time to arrange their flight and checkup details. My cats were housed at my old home for 4 weeks and then had to spend an additional 2 weeks in a cattery before their flight. His brother is not having any problems eating or drinking and is quite active.

I'm sorry to hear that Lam is not feeling well.

Any time a cat does not want to eat or drink I am quite concerned. If this goes on for more than 24 hours then I would recommend having a vet take a look at him.

It certainly is possible that he is ill because of the stress of the travelling. Stress can cause diarrhea and any abdominal cramping associated with the diarrhea could cause a lack of appetite and possibly thirst as well.

Is he vaccinated? It's possible that he came in contact with a virus while at the airport or even during travel if there were other cats there who were sick.

Another possibility is if he has a hidden heart condition. Cats with a condition called HCM (hypertrophic cardiomyopathy) do not handle stress well and can be very sick. However, usually if this were the case we would see him having trouble breathing as well.

Most likely this is connected to stress. Again, if he has not improved within 48 hours I would have a vet see him. There really is nothing that I can suggest for you to do at home to help him.

I hope he feels better soon!

Bald spots on bulldog's legs. We purchased a baby bulldog about a month ago. We already had a bulldog, Mina, and... (25274 views)

Limping boston terrier. hi my boston terrier wont put any weight on his back right foot. It started of only... (22991 views)

Back spasms 2 years ago, I took Rusty to an emergeny vet one evening because he seemed warm and... (17945 views)

Kitten panting. My previous cats lived to be 18 yrs, so it's a long time since I had a young one. ... (5861 views)

Does Pet Calm Work? Dr. Marie My Bobbie has serious trembling normally during the evning and night.... (13620 views)

Anal sac problems. When I cane home form work I noticed that my dog was bleeding from her anus. I took... (67260 views)

Still paralyzed after back surgery. We need help and guidance please! We have an active family, 3 boys (13,9,8) and one... (32750 views)

Stuffed up cat. I have a male cat named Tuna aged somewhere close to a year and a half. He is a... (11388 views)

Cat with coccidia My vet did a fecal exam on my cat today and said there was coccidia there, but she... (7750 views)

Mesenchymal tumor Need some input. My dog (she's 6)had developed a small lump/bump on her head above... (8525 views)