Stress from travel.

Breed: Long haired Scottish
Hello, I have a question about my cat. He is 3 years old and he arrived in the UK from Singapore together with his brother on Thursday and he was declared healthy at customs by DEFRA. He has not ate or drank much and has had a little diarrhea. He mostly spends his time on my bed sleeping and purring. Could this be stress from the travelling and the move? He has an history of UTI from 2 years ago and is overweight. I had not seen my cats for 6 weeks as I had to leave to the UK asap and it took time to arrange their flight and checkup details. My cats were housed at my old home for 4 weeks and then had to spend an additional 2 weeks in a cattery before their flight. His brother is not having any problems eating or drinking and is quite active.

I'm sorry to hear that Lam is not feeling well.

Any time a cat does not want to eat or drink I am quite concerned. If this goes on for more than 24 hours then I would recommend having a vet take a look at him.

It certainly is possible that he is ill because of the stress of the travelling. Stress can cause diarrhea and any abdominal cramping associated with the diarrhea could cause a lack of appetite and possibly thirst as well.

Is he vaccinated? It's possible that he came in contact with a virus while at the airport or even during travel if there were other cats there who were sick.

Another possibility is if he has a hidden heart condition. Cats with a condition called HCM (hypertrophic cardiomyopathy) do not handle stress well and can be very sick. However, usually if this were the case we would see him having trouble breathing as well.

Most likely this is connected to stress. Again, if he has not improved within 48 hours I would have a vet see him. There really is nothing that I can suggest for you to do at home to help him.

I hope he feels better soon!

Dog is obsessively licking at things. Hello. I have a question about my dog. I think she's experienced some tummy... (7070 views)

Dog with large tumor on neck. My Dog Re has a large Growth on hes neck, we live 100kms from any vet so with hes... (35266 views)

Is it time to put her down? My dog has degenerative myelopathy and is having trouble getting up, moving around... (23060 views)

Older cat losing weight. My eleven year old cat has congenital hipdisplasia however she has been happy... (21012 views)

Laryngeal paralysis. Hi Dr. I have an 11 year old lab that has had breathing problems for some time now.... (17956 views)

Grade 5 heart murmur in kitten. I raise and show Devon Rexes. I have a litter of 6 kittens that were 8 weeks old... (8583 views)

Vomited dewormer. I took Tommy to get his 12wk shots at Petco. He was given a yellow oral medicine not... (6048 views)

Patellar luxation in big dog. Dr, For the past few days Max has had a UTI. For the past two visits my vet has... (5875 views)

Vomiting every time she eats. My cat is throwing up every time she eats, what is the... (17204 views)

Sick cat after teeth cleaning. she had her teeth cleaned on march 1st...came home..she was woozy from... (12907 views)