Stress from travel.

Breed: Long haired Scottish
Hello, I have a question about my cat. He is 3 years old and he arrived in the UK from Singapore together with his brother on Thursday and he was declared healthy at customs by DEFRA. He has not ate or drank much and has had a little diarrhea. He mostly spends his time on my bed sleeping and purring. Could this be stress from the travelling and the move? He has an history of UTI from 2 years ago and is overweight. I had not seen my cats for 6 weeks as I had to leave to the UK asap and it took time to arrange their flight and checkup details. My cats were housed at my old home for 4 weeks and then had to spend an additional 2 weeks in a cattery before their flight. His brother is not having any problems eating or drinking and is quite active.

I'm sorry to hear that Lam is not feeling well.

Any time a cat does not want to eat or drink I am quite concerned. If this goes on for more than 24 hours then I would recommend having a vet take a look at him.

It certainly is possible that he is ill because of the stress of the travelling. Stress can cause diarrhea and any abdominal cramping associated with the diarrhea could cause a lack of appetite and possibly thirst as well.

Is he vaccinated? It's possible that he came in contact with a virus while at the airport or even during travel if there were other cats there who were sick.

Another possibility is if he has a hidden heart condition. Cats with a condition called HCM (hypertrophic cardiomyopathy) do not handle stress well and can be very sick. However, usually if this were the case we would see him having trouble breathing as well.

Most likely this is connected to stress. Again, if he has not improved within 48 hours I would have a vet see him. There really is nothing that I can suggest for you to do at home to help him.

I hope he feels better soon!

Should dog with cancer be euthanized? Ben was diagnosed with a Grade III mast cell tumor last February. We had it... (18019 views)

Dogs, cats and bio-oil. Hi, Dr. Marie: I have a question for you regarding a product called Bio Oil. I... (27014 views)

Puppy throwing up 3 days. My kids brought home a new puppy I have no money she has been here for 2 weeks I... (9501 views)

Factory Farms and CAFOS Hello my name is Alyssa. I am a senior at FD Roosevelt Senior High School. I am... (7864 views)

My dog is bleeding. I adopted my dog from a local shelter as a puppy of 12 weeks. they said that due to... (13020 views)

Puppy is very hyper. Gracey was born on July 6th..so she will be six months soon. We have had dogs all... (9127 views)

Bleeding from mouth. Hi Dr. Marie, What would cause recurrent tongue and gum ulcers in cats? Chuger is... (40985 views)

Vomiting foamy yellow stuff. My Yorki 8 Lb and was throwing up yellow foamy and almost puss like stuff 3 days ago... (19943 views)

Feline acne? Dr. Marie, About a week ago I noticed a small grayish black nodule on my cat's... (32916 views)

Swollen eye and vomiting. Hi Dr. Marie. Our dog's eye swelled up the other night withing an hour.....it went... (56653 views)