Stress from travel.

Breed: Long haired Scottish
Hello, I have a question about my cat. He is 3 years old and he arrived in the UK from Singapore together with his brother on Thursday and he was declared healthy at customs by DEFRA. He has not ate or drank much and has had a little diarrhea. He mostly spends his time on my bed sleeping and purring. Could this be stress from the travelling and the move? He has an history of UTI from 2 years ago and is overweight. I had not seen my cats for 6 weeks as I had to leave to the UK asap and it took time to arrange their flight and checkup details. My cats were housed at my old home for 4 weeks and then had to spend an additional 2 weeks in a cattery before their flight. His brother is not having any problems eating or drinking and is quite active.

I'm sorry to hear that Lam is not feeling well.

Any time a cat does not want to eat or drink I am quite concerned. If this goes on for more than 24 hours then I would recommend having a vet take a look at him.

It certainly is possible that he is ill because of the stress of the travelling. Stress can cause diarrhea and any abdominal cramping associated with the diarrhea could cause a lack of appetite and possibly thirst as well.

Is he vaccinated? It's possible that he came in contact with a virus while at the airport or even during travel if there were other cats there who were sick.

Another possibility is if he has a hidden heart condition. Cats with a condition called HCM (hypertrophic cardiomyopathy) do not handle stress well and can be very sick. However, usually if this were the case we would see him having trouble breathing as well.

Most likely this is connected to stress. Again, if he has not improved within 48 hours I would have a vet see him. There really is nothing that I can suggest for you to do at home to help him.

I hope he feels better soon!

Why did my dog die? I have a query re. cause of death in older dog. She was a Yorkshire Terrier,... (30821 views)

what kind of dog to get Hi Please help! I want to get my Golden Retriever (male) a friend, but not... (7228 views)

Problems with Rimadyl? she seems to have paralysis of her front left paw. she can not stand on her own and... (23832 views)

Itchy face and ears. Abbey has been itching her neck face ears area ive stopped with dog treats changed... (12040 views)

Cat fell from the balcony. HI,Please,i Know i Didnt paid you! But i dont have credit card,and i think my cat... (10943 views)

Kennel cough not getting better. Hello, My English bulldog puppy has been diagnosed with Kennel cough. He has had... (13220 views)

Drooling and walking sideways. Last night Sadie started shaking really badly, drooling like crazy and when she... (12051 views)

When to euthanize dog with arthritis. Hello. I'm going through a really hard time right now, trying to make a decision... (43628 views)

Limping on rear leg. Hello Dr. Marie! Buddy came to us about six months ago a stray. Though it was... (23027 views)

Rimadyl and Otomax. Hi, I have a two part question. The first is Rimadyl dosage for an older dog. My... (11163 views)