Dog has sore muscles.

Breed: redbone coonhound
About 3 months ago, Ruby stopped jumping and running, she seems to be in pain when she stands up or jumps. She also just lost her longtime companion dog, he died in January, but she was sick before he died. She's been tested for lyme disease.Her muscles in her back legs feel hard and her front legs seem to give out sometimes. Do you know what it could be? How can I relieve her pain?

Hi Marian and thanks for your question! I'm sorry to hear that Ruby is having problems.

This is a tough one to answer without examining Ruby. Have you had your vet do a thorough exam on her? Whenever I see a dog who is reluctant to stand up or jump I get concerned about a back or hip problem. If her front legs also give out it is possible that there is a problem in her neck.

While some back problems can be quite temporary, if this has been going on for more than a couple of weeks then it may be something more serious.

If this were my case I would certainly be recommending some back and hip xrays.

There are some good medications that can help relieve this type of pain in dogs, but unfortunately all of the ones that are considered safe are prescription so you would need to get them from your veterinarian.

I wish I could add more info for you. I hope Ruby does ok!

Green and black teeth. My Basenji is 14 years old, has green/black teeth in the back. He has started... (13292 views)

Peripheral Nerve Sheath Tumor Two years ago, Sheena was diagnosed with neurofibrosarcoma, or peripheral nerve... (12506 views)

Tramadol and SAMe Hello Dr. Marie! I feel like Oreo and I have become somewhat of a regular here on... (13711 views)

Hair loss and hyperthyroidism. Dear Dr. Marie, I have had my cat Cody for five years. He was a stray cat who was... (15345 views)

Not eating, losing weight. My cat is 12 years old and has recently shown a lack of appetite, weight loss and... (4948 views)

Sick, limping puppy. Good Evening I know my puppy needs to go to the vet however the vet will not be... (8332 views)

Dog vomiting and limping. as of this morning, Izzy threw up twice, within about 30 seconds, and then stopped.... (67591 views)

Does high pitch affect seizures? Hello there, I've been living with my roommate for a year and her dog barks at me... (10979 views)

Grove snail care. Dear Dr. Marie, Hi. My snail has been burying himself lately, so whenever I want... (11710 views)

Puppy has a broken leg. Dear Marie, I have 9 weeks old Pomeranian. She broke her right front leg. She is... (38959 views)