Dog has sore muscles.

Breed: redbone coonhound
About 3 months ago, Ruby stopped jumping and running, she seems to be in pain when she stands up or jumps. She also just lost her longtime companion dog, he died in January, but she was sick before he died. She's been tested for lyme disease.Her muscles in her back legs feel hard and her front legs seem to give out sometimes. Do you know what it could be? How can I relieve her pain?

Hi Marian and thanks for your question! I'm sorry to hear that Ruby is having problems.

This is a tough one to answer without examining Ruby. Have you had your vet do a thorough exam on her? Whenever I see a dog who is reluctant to stand up or jump I get concerned about a back or hip problem. If her front legs also give out it is possible that there is a problem in her neck.

While some back problems can be quite temporary, if this has been going on for more than a couple of weeks then it may be something more serious.

If this were my case I would certainly be recommending some back and hip xrays.

There are some good medications that can help relieve this type of pain in dogs, but unfortunately all of the ones that are considered safe are prescription so you would need to get them from your veterinarian.

I wish I could add more info for you. I hope Ruby does ok!

Rabbit with maggots Our rabbit was not eating and was shaking this morning. We discovered there were... (11347 views)

Dog Won't Eat My dog won't eat at all,but he still drink(not much)..He wanna move but he can't... (24488 views)

Supraglan for Cushing's? My dog was recently diagnosed with Cushing's disease. He has been drinking a lot of... (17730 views)

Mildly increased ALP. My dog's routine blood work shows an alkaline phosaphate level of 159. The vet is... (8119 views)

Dentistry on older cat. My cat, who is a 19 year old spayed male we have had his entire life is fairly... (16510 views)

Dog urinating in house. hey my 5 year old staff has started urinating in the house she has never done this... (11065 views)

Dog ate vitamin D Dog just ate two 5,000 iu Vitamin D capsules. Anything I need to worry about/watch... (96728 views)

Chances of getting rabies from my dog? My wife was recently bit by my dog. My dog has battled allergies and likes to lick... (38118 views)

Blood in urine My male cat has red staining to his urine, he isn't acting any different but is... (6643 views)

Dog has teeth stuck in her cheek. i noticed my dogs mouth was bleeding a little bit while we were playing so i opened... (12358 views)