Dog has sore muscles.

Breed: redbone coonhound
About 3 months ago, Ruby stopped jumping and running, she seems to be in pain when she stands up or jumps. She also just lost her longtime companion dog, he died in January, but she was sick before he died. She's been tested for lyme disease.Her muscles in her back legs feel hard and her front legs seem to give out sometimes. Do you know what it could be? How can I relieve her pain?

Hi Marian and thanks for your question! I'm sorry to hear that Ruby is having problems.

This is a tough one to answer without examining Ruby. Have you had your vet do a thorough exam on her? Whenever I see a dog who is reluctant to stand up or jump I get concerned about a back or hip problem. If her front legs also give out it is possible that there is a problem in her neck.

While some back problems can be quite temporary, if this has been going on for more than a couple of weeks then it may be something more serious.

If this were my case I would certainly be recommending some back and hip xrays.

There are some good medications that can help relieve this type of pain in dogs, but unfortunately all of the ones that are considered safe are prescription so you would need to get them from your veterinarian.

I wish I could add more info for you. I hope Ruby does ok!

Cat died. Dear Doctor Haynes, I started looking after a stray young tomcat (who I presume... (6301 views)

Sard Oxy Plus. My cat accidently stood in some Sard Oxy Plus stain remover then licked her paws and... (7770 views)

1 week old puppy checkup can you take a 1 week old puppy to the vet to get it checked to make sure its ok and... (7296 views)

Sneezing cat. My cat keeps sneezing and sometimes has watery eyes. It started today and. I googled... (19614 views)

Lethargic kitten after spay. My kitten is around five minths old. She was spayed on July 23rd ish. Since her... (14373 views)

Cat with bald belly. Our cat (6 years old) has bitten off the hair on her stomach. Our vet (in Latvia)... (11705 views)

Heartworm and MDR1 I rrecently had both dogs genotyped for MDR1 mutation and both are positive. Bella... (6563 views)

Long term use of Clavasceptin Dear Dr Marie, Our puppy (5 months old) was diagnosed as having a kidney... (9501 views)

Tramadol and SAMe Hello Dr. Marie! I feel like Oreo and I have become somewhat of a regular here on... (13578 views)

Wound on cat. My father's cat Jerry is 3 year old neutered male DSH who is up-to-date on all... (4526 views)