Dog has sore muscles.

Breed: redbone coonhound
About 3 months ago, Ruby stopped jumping and running, she seems to be in pain when she stands up or jumps. She also just lost her longtime companion dog, he died in January, but she was sick before he died. She's been tested for lyme disease.Her muscles in her back legs feel hard and her front legs seem to give out sometimes. Do you know what it could be? How can I relieve her pain?

Hi Marian and thanks for your question! I'm sorry to hear that Ruby is having problems.

This is a tough one to answer without examining Ruby. Have you had your vet do a thorough exam on her? Whenever I see a dog who is reluctant to stand up or jump I get concerned about a back or hip problem. If her front legs also give out it is possible that there is a problem in her neck.

While some back problems can be quite temporary, if this has been going on for more than a couple of weeks then it may be something more serious.

If this were my case I would certainly be recommending some back and hip xrays.

There are some good medications that can help relieve this type of pain in dogs, but unfortunately all of the ones that are considered safe are prescription so you would need to get them from your veterinarian.

I wish I could add more info for you. I hope Ruby does ok!

Give thyroid medicine? Hi there, I live in a remote northern community and we do not have a vet here. My... (6816 views)

Dog has warm ears. Is it normal for my dog to have warm ears? There is no discharge and the ears are... (84457 views)

Kitten died after anesthetic. Dear Dr. Marie, We are heartbroken. Our 5 MONTH old spyhnx kitten passed away... (7398 views)

Why use jugular vein? Why would my vet take blood out of the neck (jugler (?) vein)? In most cases I've... (16971 views)

Dog cowers and pees. my dog seems afraid of me when i call her over she cowers and pees when she walks... (12538 views)

Kitten diarrhea. my cat is having diarrhea and is growing weak everyday. he's feces have mucus and he... (8960 views)

Black lump under cat's eye. Few months ago, there is a small tiny transparent bubble grow under the skin below... (15957 views)

IVDD in Basset Hound? Frank has had a very hard stomach for 2.5 days now and he is not drinking much... (38304 views)

Bad euthanasia Hello, I had to have my dog euthanized. After she got her first injection to be... (5070 views)

Vet didn't ask my permission. I came home to find my beloved cat unable to stand (seemed drunken) and felt cooler... (8192 views)