Dog has sore muscles.

Breed: redbone coonhound
About 3 months ago, Ruby stopped jumping and running, she seems to be in pain when she stands up or jumps. She also just lost her longtime companion dog, he died in January, but she was sick before he died. She's been tested for lyme disease.Her muscles in her back legs feel hard and her front legs seem to give out sometimes. Do you know what it could be? How can I relieve her pain?

Hi Marian and thanks for your question! I'm sorry to hear that Ruby is having problems.

This is a tough one to answer without examining Ruby. Have you had your vet do a thorough exam on her? Whenever I see a dog who is reluctant to stand up or jump I get concerned about a back or hip problem. If her front legs also give out it is possible that there is a problem in her neck.

While some back problems can be quite temporary, if this has been going on for more than a couple of weeks then it may be something more serious.

If this were my case I would certainly be recommending some back and hip xrays.

There are some good medications that can help relieve this type of pain in dogs, but unfortunately all of the ones that are considered safe are prescription so you would need to get them from your veterinarian.

I wish I could add more info for you. I hope Ruby does ok!

Swollen throat. over night my dogs thropat and cheeks have swallon really bad (looks like a hamster... (22848 views)

Lethargic shih tzu My dog came home from the cottage this weekend and is acting very odd. He walks a... (24302 views)

Lentigo on a daschund. Dear Dr. Marie, I just recently discovered these black dots on my dogs chest when... (36040 views)

Older dog having seizures. She has been having more vestibular events lately and closer to each other and I'm... (8012 views)

Older cat missing litter box. My 18 year old male cat is getting into the liter box and urinating on the floor... (15387 views)

Bump under eye - tooth abscess My dog has had an abscess on her face for a while, under her eye, but it hasn't... (15300 views)

White tongue after neuter. My dog got neutered couple of days ago and seems to be recovering fine. He is eating... (10482 views)

Liver shunt or MVD Hello Dr. Maria. I have a 6 month old male Dachshund. He went in to get a neuter... (13147 views)

Skin lesion on gerbil. can you recommend a treatment for what appears to be a hot spot or skin irritation... (7110 views)

Stuffed up nose. Dear Vet, We have a 12 year old Australian Shepard, 80 pound male. He is not having... (10811 views)