Cat howling at night.

Breed: Tabby
Our 25 yo orange tiger stripe male developed kidney failure and we had to make the terrible decision of putting him to sleep. He was crying in pain and could no longer walk. I broke my heart. Now our 18 yo tabby cries all night a howling cry like she's calling to Lucky and he's not answering her. It makes mourning Lucky even harder and my husband and I both work and have to get up early. She's keeping us up and we can't get a good nights sleep. I'm not sure there is anything we can do but if you have ANY suggestions we would be grateful.

Usually if a an older cat howls at night, there is a medical reason for it.

When I have a patient doing this, I usually recommend some tests. The first thing I would do is a blood pressure reading. If cats have high blood pressure they can howl at night. (We think the high blood pressure may cause headaches at night time). I have had several cats who have done extremely well after we put them on blood pressure medicine.

I also recommend senior bloodwork. Hyperthyroidism and kidney disease can contribute to howling at night.

If there is no answer on these tests then I sometimes try an anti anxiety medication such as Reconcile, Clomicalm or Amitriptyline.

I will sometimes also try a trial of anti-inflammatory medication in case there is some arthritis pain present.

Another thing that often helps is to seclude the cat to a small room like a bathroom overnight.

I hope that helps and I hope things are better soon!

Is this mammary tumor cancerous? We have an 8 yr old shih Tzu, female spayed before first heat and we noticed a lump... (4353 views)

Dog leaking urine when sleeping. My dog is leaking urine when she is sleeping. She pees on the bed or on the couch. ... (117776 views)

Red spot near vulva. My six-year-old spayed, lab mix has a small red area near her vulva. She bites and... (21986 views)

Drinking more and thirsty LILI, 7.5 YRS OLD, HAS STARTED WETTING HER BED AND SHE HAS AN UNENDING THIRST AND... (14195 views)

Is this a mouth tumor? Hi, Our cat has been doing poorly lately. She went for about a month eating once... (4048 views)

Cat losing clumps of fur Our beloved 9 yo old male cat Gretzkey is ripping his hair out in clumps. Our house... (41433 views)

Vomiting puppy. I know this is a free answer but I love my puppy,dont have a credit card and spent... (8571 views)

Sick cat. HI. MY cat has been sick for the last two months or so. The last few weeks however,... (10380 views)

Sudden death in papillon My Doctor, I had a six year old female Papillon. She was in seemingly perfect and... (7237 views)

Pink lump on dog's paw. I just noticed my Daschund has a small lump on one of her paws. It is pinkish in... (57312 views)