Cat howling at night.

Breed: Tabby
Our 25 yo orange tiger stripe male developed kidney failure and we had to make the terrible decision of putting him to sleep. He was crying in pain and could no longer walk. I broke my heart. Now our 18 yo tabby cries all night a howling cry like she's calling to Lucky and he's not answering her. It makes mourning Lucky even harder and my husband and I both work and have to get up early. She's keeping us up and we can't get a good nights sleep. I'm not sure there is anything we can do but if you have ANY suggestions we would be grateful.

Usually if a an older cat howls at night, there is a medical reason for it.

When I have a patient doing this, I usually recommend some tests. The first thing I would do is a blood pressure reading. If cats have high blood pressure they can howl at night. (We think the high blood pressure may cause headaches at night time). I have had several cats who have done extremely well after we put them on blood pressure medicine.

I also recommend senior bloodwork. Hyperthyroidism and kidney disease can contribute to howling at night.

If there is no answer on these tests then I sometimes try an anti anxiety medication such as Reconcile, Clomicalm or Amitriptyline.

I will sometimes also try a trial of anti-inflammatory medication in case there is some arthritis pain present.

Another thing that often helps is to seclude the cat to a small room like a bathroom overnight.

I hope that helps and I hope things are better soon!

When to put down older dog. I know my dog is on the way out, she has cataracts, hearing is dim, legs are shaky,... (6020 views)

19 year old cat died. My 19 yo childhood cat died this morning and my parents, who aren't the sort of... (8118 views)

Hartz Ultra Guard for fleas? hello dr. marie, bear has fleas. i gave her a bath then treated her with hartz... (9985 views)

Runny soft stools. Rocky is 7 weeks old, has been eating the same food and now his feces has become... (10096 views)

Should cat have her teeth cleaned? My 13 year old cat recently went for a wellness vet visit at a new vet. The vet... (11374 views)

Possible pyometra. My dog I believe is in heat but this month instead of a thin red color the discharge... (7667 views)

Recovery from FCE. Our dog was diagnosed with FCE about two months ago, I have been noticing some... (9655 views)

Dog hurt her leg. hi my dog trixey is nearly 15.i think she may have hurt her leg because she can't... (6172 views)

Hamster too cold? hi! my hamster has been sleeping alot. she is usally up sometimes during the day and... (6762 views)

White tongue after neuter. My dog got neutered couple of days ago and seems to be recovering fine. He is eating... (10345 views)