Cat howling at night.

Breed: Tabby
Our 25 yo orange tiger stripe male developed kidney failure and we had to make the terrible decision of putting him to sleep. He was crying in pain and could no longer walk. I broke my heart. Now our 18 yo tabby cries all night a howling cry like she's calling to Lucky and he's not answering her. It makes mourning Lucky even harder and my husband and I both work and have to get up early. She's keeping us up and we can't get a good nights sleep. I'm not sure there is anything we can do but if you have ANY suggestions we would be grateful.

Usually if a an older cat howls at night, there is a medical reason for it.

When I have a patient doing this, I usually recommend some tests. The first thing I would do is a blood pressure reading. If cats have high blood pressure they can howl at night. (We think the high blood pressure may cause headaches at night time). I have had several cats who have done extremely well after we put them on blood pressure medicine.

I also recommend senior bloodwork. Hyperthyroidism and kidney disease can contribute to howling at night.

If there is no answer on these tests then I sometimes try an anti anxiety medication such as Reconcile, Clomicalm or Amitriptyline.

I will sometimes also try a trial of anti-inflammatory medication in case there is some arthritis pain present.

Another thing that often helps is to seclude the cat to a small room like a bathroom overnight.

I hope that helps and I hope things are better soon!

Brown staining around pee area. The area around her pee area is really brown and dirty I have cleaned it off but I... (110535 views)

Vomiting foam and not eating. Hi, Pumpkin is an eleven year old male cat. He is usually a very good eater. For the... (46532 views)

Dog eating dirt. My dog consumes grass and now wants to eat dirt when outside exercising despite a... (16335 views)

Lavender plant bad for dogs and cats? Hi Dr. Marie, Can you tell me if a lavender plant is toxic to cats and dogs? I... (55363 views)

White tongue in a kitten. Kitten 6weeks old looks like a 4 week old. Sootie has a white tongue? Is it... (15753 views)

How to get a guinea pig to lose weight Hi Dr. Marie: Recently I took my sow guinea pig Squeaky to have her nails trimmed.... (4461 views)

Cause of high ALP? mickey a male is 6 and 1/2 years old. he was prescribed on 8/12/11 rimadyl (1/2 75mg... (11778 views)

Symptoms of Lupus Help! owners have spent $1100 on test and everything comes back normal but Archie is... (9931 views)

Cat is very thirsty. I have a one year old cat, he eats well no concerns there, but he is consently... (9341 views)

Do dogs get chicken pox? Hi my dog star has never had skin problems but recently my kids got chicken pox and... (47976 views)