Cat howling at night.

Breed: Tabby
Our 25 yo orange tiger stripe male developed kidney failure and we had to make the terrible decision of putting him to sleep. He was crying in pain and could no longer walk. I broke my heart. Now our 18 yo tabby cries all night a howling cry like she's calling to Lucky and he's not answering her. It makes mourning Lucky even harder and my husband and I both work and have to get up early. She's keeping us up and we can't get a good nights sleep. I'm not sure there is anything we can do but if you have ANY suggestions we would be grateful.

Usually if a an older cat howls at night, there is a medical reason for it.

When I have a patient doing this, I usually recommend some tests. The first thing I would do is a blood pressure reading. If cats have high blood pressure they can howl at night. (We think the high blood pressure may cause headaches at night time). I have had several cats who have done extremely well after we put them on blood pressure medicine.

I also recommend senior bloodwork. Hyperthyroidism and kidney disease can contribute to howling at night.

If there is no answer on these tests then I sometimes try an anti anxiety medication such as Reconcile, Clomicalm or Amitriptyline.

I will sometimes also try a trial of anti-inflammatory medication in case there is some arthritis pain present.

Another thing that often helps is to seclude the cat to a small room like a bathroom overnight.

I hope that helps and I hope things are better soon!

Loose black stools. Sid is older, lately his stools ate loose and turn black? He can tell time and... (5036 views)

Xray for hip dysplasia? Hi Dr, I was just wondering as a rule whether I should have Max x-rayed to check... (5933 views)

Rat pees and poops on owner. I have a baby rat that poops and pies on me when she gets out of the... (10419 views)

Contagious seizures. Blake is a 2yr old German shepherd that started having epileptic fits in june 2010.... (12076 views)

Rat Lifespan? Sick rat. My 3 yr old rat is sick. His skin feels cold, breathing is rapid and labored, eyes... (10520 views)

Guinea pig not eating. Hello, I have a 3 year old guinea pig who has stopped eating. Last week I... (6809 views)

Chihuahua ate tennis ball. My small, 5lb baby girl chihauha (sp?) was outside playing with our two other dogs. ... (20518 views)

Surgery on 14 year old dog. Chyna has in the past few months developed a mass or cluster of lumps that are dark... (12021 views)

Sick puppy. Our Westie puppy, Minnie, is 12 weeks old today. We got her 23 days ago. From Day... (10553 views)

Yellow vaginal discharge. my female cat has yellow vaginal discharge what does this mean? is it a sign of... (12724 views)