Cat howling at night.

Breed: Tabby
Our 25 yo orange tiger stripe male developed kidney failure and we had to make the terrible decision of putting him to sleep. He was crying in pain and could no longer walk. I broke my heart. Now our 18 yo tabby cries all night a howling cry like she's calling to Lucky and he's not answering her. It makes mourning Lucky even harder and my husband and I both work and have to get up early. She's keeping us up and we can't get a good nights sleep. I'm not sure there is anything we can do but if you have ANY suggestions we would be grateful.

Usually if a an older cat howls at night, there is a medical reason for it.

When I have a patient doing this, I usually recommend some tests. The first thing I would do is a blood pressure reading. If cats have high blood pressure they can howl at night. (We think the high blood pressure may cause headaches at night time). I have had several cats who have done extremely well after we put them on blood pressure medicine.

I also recommend senior bloodwork. Hyperthyroidism and kidney disease can contribute to howling at night.

If there is no answer on these tests then I sometimes try an anti anxiety medication such as Reconcile, Clomicalm or Amitriptyline.

I will sometimes also try a trial of anti-inflammatory medication in case there is some arthritis pain present.

Another thing that often helps is to seclude the cat to a small room like a bathroom overnight.

I hope that helps and I hope things are better soon!

Cat is hungry and has swollen tummy. Our cat seems to be hungry all the time, she is spayed, but we have just moved... (30891 views)

Soft yellow stools and weight loss Sorry that this is long, but I want to give ALL details in case it helps. I... (45044 views)

Rat with red tears and increased thirst. I have a pet rat, almost 1. Shes been healthy her whole life, just had this weird... (12447 views)

Histolytica in cats. My cat has low levels of histolytica. I was informed it was common and not necessary... (6365 views)

Diarrhea from sour milk? my kittens have had diahria from my mom cats sour milk 2 weeks. I have given them... (20702 views)

Cat's tail fell off. My cat is a male, seven year old, siamese crossed with ginger named Skittles. Around... (55171 views)

Vulva dermatitis. Good Morning Doctor: My 6 year old Golden(Honey) has an infection around her female... (29675 views)

Chin acne. Hi there, My cat came down with a case of feline acne, probably caused by stress,... (12844 views)

Mascara for dogs? I have noticed eyelashes on my 11 month old bichon frise and i would love to put... (29784 views)

Flea problems. WELL MY CAT HAD FLEA'S AND I DEFLEAD THE CAT THE PRODUCTS I USED TO DEFLEA MY CAT... (12028 views)