Ovarian remnant syndrome.

Breed: mixed
Hi there,

We had our beautiful, angel, female kitten spayed just over one month ago as she went into heat. Unfortunately she appears to have gone into heat again as of last night. I would like to confirm that this is not normal and that she needs to be seen by a vet again. I would also like to understand what steps they would be likely to take.

As some background information, we live in a country where the standard of veterinary practice does not seem very high. Our vet also doesn't speak English very well so we thought we'd try to get an answer online before making a decision to take her back or not.

Many thanks for your time!!! It's appreciated!!

If Kitty is truly in heat again then it's possible that she has something called ovarian remnant syndrome. This happens when a piece of ovary remains in the body after the spay.

Sometimes this can be the fault of the veterinarian. In these cases, it is because not all of the ovary is removed during the spay. However, a lot of the time, the cause is not the vet's fault. Rather, the cat may have had what is called an ectopic piece of ovarian tissue. This could be because part of the ovary fell off at some point and, for example, implanted on the spleen.

Most likely Kitty will need to have another exploratory surgery. It is important that this is done when she is in heat. The reason for this is that the ovary (or piece of ovary) will be at its largest during a heat and easier to see.

If this were my case, if I did find a piece of ovary that looked like I had not removed all of it then I likely would not charge for the surgery. But, if there was ovary in another part of the abdomen then there would definitely be a regular surgery charge.

I can say though that in 13 years of practice I have never had an animal where I had left a piece of ovary in. It is not something that commonly happens!

I hope that helps!

Lump on German Shepherd. This morning while brushing Sako, a 9-year-old GSD, I noted an area where hair is... (19682 views)

Worms in stool. My dogs stool has a lot of worms in it. My Mom's friends takes care of a lot of... (20206 views)

older cat with itchy ears. Dear Dr Marie: For the last 3-4 weeks Emily has had itchy ears. She scratches... (13359 views)

Blood on penis. My son's 3 yr old dog is fixed but had sex with a female dog. Now he is bleeding... (20191 views)

IVDD in dog. My dog Basil woke up this morning and would not jump off of the bed, go down steps,... (15176 views)

Sore eye in a dog. Hi, My Yorkie's left eye is squinting; it looks like she can't open it. She has... (28026 views)

Dog is obsessively licking at things. Hello. I have a question about my dog. I think she's experienced some tummy... (11426 views)

Painful erection for dog. Help Dr Marie, My puppy is not neutered and three or four times I have found him... (20102 views)

Shedding Akita. my akita is 14 months old and is lossing massive clumps of fur. he has new curse... (11601 views)

Is my dog pregnant? i think my dog is pregnet she has big nipples and she is getting lazy she was in... (7373 views)