Ovarian remnant syndrome.

Breed: mixed
Hi there,

We had our beautiful, angel, female kitten spayed just over one month ago as she went into heat. Unfortunately she appears to have gone into heat again as of last night. I would like to confirm that this is not normal and that she needs to be seen by a vet again. I would also like to understand what steps they would be likely to take.

As some background information, we live in a country where the standard of veterinary practice does not seem very high. Our vet also doesn't speak English very well so we thought we'd try to get an answer online before making a decision to take her back or not.

Many thanks for your time!!! It's appreciated!!

If Kitty is truly in heat again then it's possible that she has something called ovarian remnant syndrome. This happens when a piece of ovary remains in the body after the spay.

Sometimes this can be the fault of the veterinarian. In these cases, it is because not all of the ovary is removed during the spay. However, a lot of the time, the cause is not the vet's fault. Rather, the cat may have had what is called an ectopic piece of ovarian tissue. This could be because part of the ovary fell off at some point and, for example, implanted on the spleen.

Most likely Kitty will need to have another exploratory surgery. It is important that this is done when she is in heat. The reason for this is that the ovary (or piece of ovary) will be at its largest during a heat and easier to see.

If this were my case, if I did find a piece of ovary that looked like I had not removed all of it then I likely would not charge for the surgery. But, if there was ovary in another part of the abdomen then there would definitely be a regular surgery charge.

I can say though that in 13 years of practice I have never had an animal where I had left a piece of ovary in. It is not something that commonly happens!

I hope that helps!

Ear swollen like balloon. My dog has a large swelling on her ear that looks like a balloon. She is shaking... (31290 views)

Infected spay incision? My puppy was spade last Thursday and I'm worried her incision is not healing... (72117 views)

Vaginal Discharge. Dr. Marie, I rescued a female unspayed german shepherd from a neighbor's yard a few... (18063 views)

Brewer's Yeast for fleas. Is brewers yeast and garlic a safe treatment for deterring fleas and ticks,... (22503 views)

Swollen face after fight. My miniature pinscher was attacked by a boxer a few days ago. Her wounds have... (14868 views)

Dog ate dark chocolate. My 12 pound maltese ate two fun sized baby ruths, a fun sized butterfinger, and one... (21047 views)

Small puppy. Rnt? Hi, I just purchased a purebred BullMastiff puppy. He is very happy and seems to... (35256 views)

Can dogs get tetanus? My dog got her paw caught in an animal trap this evening. She is walking around... (31568 views)

Heat symptoms pregnant cat. My cat is pregnant but still acting like she's in season, this has been going on now... (8025 views)

Is my cat diabetic? Ollie is consuming lots of water, and peeing a lot. There has been a marked increase... (7605 views)