Ovarian remnant syndrome.

Breed: mixed
Hi there,

We had our beautiful, angel, female kitten spayed just over one month ago as she went into heat. Unfortunately she appears to have gone into heat again as of last night. I would like to confirm that this is not normal and that she needs to be seen by a vet again. I would also like to understand what steps they would be likely to take.

As some background information, we live in a country where the standard of veterinary practice does not seem very high. Our vet also doesn't speak English very well so we thought we'd try to get an answer online before making a decision to take her back or not.

Many thanks for your time!!! It's appreciated!!

If Kitty is truly in heat again then it's possible that she has something called ovarian remnant syndrome. This happens when a piece of ovary remains in the body after the spay.

Sometimes this can be the fault of the veterinarian. In these cases, it is because not all of the ovary is removed during the spay. However, a lot of the time, the cause is not the vet's fault. Rather, the cat may have had what is called an ectopic piece of ovarian tissue. This could be because part of the ovary fell off at some point and, for example, implanted on the spleen.

Most likely Kitty will need to have another exploratory surgery. It is important that this is done when she is in heat. The reason for this is that the ovary (or piece of ovary) will be at its largest during a heat and easier to see.

If this were my case, if I did find a piece of ovary that looked like I had not removed all of it then I likely would not charge for the surgery. But, if there was ovary in another part of the abdomen then there would definitely be a regular surgery charge.

I can say though that in 13 years of practice I have never had an animal where I had left a piece of ovary in. It is not something that commonly happens!

I hope that helps!

Doesn't like s/d. My dog has bladder stones(a lot) and was put on Hills Prescription diet s/d Canine... (9661 views)

Dog leaking urine. Aud is 5 year old black mini poodle. The past 3 days she is leaking urine. She is... (20430 views)

Brown spots and hair loss. Hi again Dr. Marie, My 6 year old Golden Retriever is itchy. I noticed that she... (15705 views)

Sardine treats for my cat. Is this recipe for cat treats safe for my cat? 3/4 cup dry, whole wheat bread... (6975 views)

Skin lesion on gerbil. can you recommend a treatment for what appears to be a hot spot or skin irritation... (7007 views)

Spaying an older dog. My dog is 10 years old and has had 2 litters of puppies. I would like to have her... (7345 views)

Shaking after grooming. Millie is an otherwise healthy 8 year old Bijon Poo. Don't know if this is related,... (37796 views)

Trouble breathing and died. my beloved cat mr whippy died recently and i am breaking my heart thinking i could... (9308 views)

Dog walking sideways. Hello Dr. Here is my question, So my little shitzu is about 2 1/2 yrs old and... (42097 views)

Bengal leg weakness. Rebel has had some undiagnosed rear end lameness and weakness intermitantly since... (8603 views)