Ovarian remnant syndrome.

Breed: mixed
Hi there,

We had our beautiful, angel, female kitten spayed just over one month ago as she went into heat. Unfortunately she appears to have gone into heat again as of last night. I would like to confirm that this is not normal and that she needs to be seen by a vet again. I would also like to understand what steps they would be likely to take.

As some background information, we live in a country where the standard of veterinary practice does not seem very high. Our vet also doesn't speak English very well so we thought we'd try to get an answer online before making a decision to take her back or not.

Many thanks for your time!!! It's appreciated!!

If Kitty is truly in heat again then it's possible that she has something called ovarian remnant syndrome. This happens when a piece of ovary remains in the body after the spay.

Sometimes this can be the fault of the veterinarian. In these cases, it is because not all of the ovary is removed during the spay. However, a lot of the time, the cause is not the vet's fault. Rather, the cat may have had what is called an ectopic piece of ovarian tissue. This could be because part of the ovary fell off at some point and, for example, implanted on the spleen.

Most likely Kitty will need to have another exploratory surgery. It is important that this is done when she is in heat. The reason for this is that the ovary (or piece of ovary) will be at its largest during a heat and easier to see.

If this were my case, if I did find a piece of ovary that looked like I had not removed all of it then I likely would not charge for the surgery. But, if there was ovary in another part of the abdomen then there would definitely be a regular surgery charge.

I can say though that in 13 years of practice I have never had an animal where I had left a piece of ovary in. It is not something that commonly happens!

I hope that helps!

Sick after spay. She was spayed a week ago and has been fine (no problem with incision, etc.).... (45820 views)

Sheltie is afraid of people. I have a one year old female Sheltie. she is very nervous around people. She was... (13612 views)

Benadryl for thunderstorms? My dog is terified of thunderstoms. Pants, tongue hanging out, eyes huge, and heart... (36371 views)

Cat vomits after eating wet food. My cat has been doing this strange thing, but only after she eats wet food. It... (11256 views)

Cat has a watery eye. Hi, I have spoken with you before about my cat Yoko. She suffers from swollen gums... (11442 views)

Red spots under arms and legs. my dog has red spots under her arms and now on her legs what could it be... (13166 views)

Pass away at home? Potter is almost 13. About 4 months ago he was diagnosed with diabetes and we... (7847 views)

Itchy feet, belly, tail. I live in MA with my dog. We went to NY (an hour north of NYC) at the very beginning... (28381 views)

Sore dachshund My dog Mya has been shaking and is nervous and sensitive around her stomache area. I... (7578 views)

Bumps around anus. Itchiness and swollen bumps "cauliflower" looking around her vagina and anus. She... (52936 views)