Ovarian remnant syndrome.

Breed: mixed
Hi there,

We had our beautiful, angel, female kitten spayed just over one month ago as she went into heat. Unfortunately she appears to have gone into heat again as of last night. I would like to confirm that this is not normal and that she needs to be seen by a vet again. I would also like to understand what steps they would be likely to take.

As some background information, we live in a country where the standard of veterinary practice does not seem very high. Our vet also doesn't speak English very well so we thought we'd try to get an answer online before making a decision to take her back or not.

Many thanks for your time!!! It's appreciated!!

If Kitty is truly in heat again then it's possible that she has something called ovarian remnant syndrome. This happens when a piece of ovary remains in the body after the spay.

Sometimes this can be the fault of the veterinarian. In these cases, it is because not all of the ovary is removed during the spay. However, a lot of the time, the cause is not the vet's fault. Rather, the cat may have had what is called an ectopic piece of ovarian tissue. This could be because part of the ovary fell off at some point and, for example, implanted on the spleen.

Most likely Kitty will need to have another exploratory surgery. It is important that this is done when she is in heat. The reason for this is that the ovary (or piece of ovary) will be at its largest during a heat and easier to see.

If this were my case, if I did find a piece of ovary that looked like I had not removed all of it then I likely would not charge for the surgery. But, if there was ovary in another part of the abdomen then there would definitely be a regular surgery charge.

I can say though that in 13 years of practice I have never had an animal where I had left a piece of ovary in. It is not something that commonly happens!

I hope that helps!

Quiet after dentistry. Good morning...this may be lengthy...sorry. Despite my cats advanced age of 17,... (6075 views)

Diarrhea and not eating. My saluki started with a foul smelling yellow diarrhea. Then she slowly stopped... (5779 views)

Regular anal gland expression. Hello, I am trying to get some answers about my puppy's anal gland problem. I... (7953 views)

Vomiting dog Hi Marie, Our dog is a 5 year old Lhasa male (entire).Which we bought to China with... (22779 views)

Cat doesn't want to move. My cats bio: July was infested with fleas. Took two months to totally rid them from... (6211 views)

Spots on belly of Golden Retriever. my dog recently had dirty brown spots on her stomach when i touch them or wash them... (15469 views)

Lumps on belly Hello, Dr. Marie: I noticed some small bumps on my dog's bladder on/near the site... (18232 views)

Cat losing weight and vomiting. Sebastian was always a little overweight. Recently he has started losing weight,... (11265 views)

What are these little brown bugs. hi um my puppy named chesley is 6-8 months andi just got her recently i cant remeber... (22361 views)

Scabby rash on belly and back. My dog has a scabby rash that she has had for about a year. At first it was just on... (20210 views)