Antibiotics for stuffed up nose.

Breed: Austrailian Shepard
Hello again Dr. Marie, writing again about our dog Sparky and have some questions. He is not getting better and is snoring and having trouble breathing through his nose along with a clear watery dischage from his nose. He seems like he can not breathe through his nose. Our vet wants to try another round of antibiotics, making it the forth time. We have heard that steroids like prednisone may be better if we are dealing with maybe tumors in his nose as you have mentioned earlier. Can you think of any meds that may help him if in fact he has a tumor in his nose? we want to make life comfortable if at all possible. Thank you for your help Dr. Marie..Regards, Karl and Jeri Jacobi.

Ah, I am sorry to hear that Sparky still isn't feeling well. Here is your previous question so that we have a reference.

The main problem here is that we don't know what is causing the stuffiness. And, it can be very difficult to get a diagnosis, even if there are no cost concerns.

I think that if your vet wants to try another round of antibiotics then there is good reason for it. It sounds like they are leaning towards a bacterial infection of some sort (whether it's in the nose or perhaps with a tooth root) and some bacterial infections respond differently to different antibiotics.

You certainly can ask the vet if prednisone is a possibility. There are potential drawbacks to using this drug though. Prednisone can cause issues with the liver or kidneys or other organs depending on what dose it is used in and for how long. In most cases, the benefit outweighs the risk and prednisone use is safe though. The other concern is that this would not be a lifelong fix. If there is inflammation in the nose from, say, a tumor then prednisone may give some temporary relief but eventually things will start to get bad again. Still, it's possible that your vet would be willing to give this a try. The third risk with prednisone is that it can in some cases make it harder for the body to fight infection. So, if there is an infection there, you could possibly be doing more harm than good.

I think it's not a bad idea to give another round of antibiotics a try seeing as that is the direction that your vet is taking and then you can ask them if perhaps some steroids would help.

As mentioned previously, another idea would be to have Sparky sedated so that the vet can have a thorough look in his nose to see if there are any obvious problems like a tooth root infection or something else. On a related note, my in-laws' elderly dog recently started having awful sneezing fits. I prepared them for the worse (i.e. tumor, bad tooth root infection) and lo and behold the dog eventually sneezed out a massive string of grass that he had inhaled. I'm not saying that it's likely that Sparky has inhaled grass, but it certainly is possible that there is a foreign object there.

Pit bull has bald patches. Hi, we have beeen to the vet three different times and he still breaking out and... (4149 views)

Dog ate collar. Our dog ate half of a leather, metal studded collar about a week ago, which after a... (12679 views)

Kitten with yellow diarrhea. Hi. My neighbor just called me about three days ago and asked if i would help nurse... (9689 views)

Bassett hound freaks out Our dog is healthy and happy, usually. He's been to the vet once per year to get his... (7176 views)

Megacolon cat with problems. Addie was diagnosed with megacolon at age 2. The vet prescribed medications - I... (8287 views)

Swollen ear with pus. my dogs ear has suddenly become really swollen with what seems like puss it is very... (7960 views)

Brown bugs over top of tail. Dear Dr. Marie: I HAVE A CAT, IT HAS BROWN BUG AND SCAB AT THE DORSAL ASPECT OF... (9974 views)

Dog limping. My dog just started having pain today. We took him on a particularly long walk... (9602 views)

Dog ate dark chocolate candy. Bo ate an 8 oz. package of See's chocolate brittle (12 one inch pieces of toffee... (7722 views)

Skinny 19 year old cat. Hi my cat is 19 years old! He is a little skinny but perfectly healthy! I also have... (10193 views)