Panting and shaking cat.

Breed: Mixed-Female
Hi,

My female cat is just over 15 years old.

This morning she woke up running all over the house. While running around she was panting, shaking her head and appeared to open her mouth wide a couple of times. After 10 minutes of doing this she appeared to calm down and started licking her fur and biting at it and twitching.

Currently she is calmly lying on the floor with the occasional tail/ear twitch, but no more panting, open mouth or running around. I checked her tongue color and it is pink. Actually with the exception of the occasional twitch, it is like nothing ever happened. Reading online it appears it could be anything from a flea or as major as heart or respiratory issues. She does not have shallow or labored breathing. We realize she is an older cat, but she has lived her entire life indoors.

Thank you in advance for your help, advice or insight.

Best regards,

Michael Betson

This is a tough question to answer! You are right in saying that there are a few things that this could be.

It's possible that Oreo had a mild seizure. Seizures don't always have to have paddling and tremors, but sometimes can just result in "odd" behavior and twitching. Unfortunately if this is a seizure, in an animal of this age, it could be a sign of a tumor in her brain.

It's also possible that this is related to her heart. Sometimes cats can have something similar to a stroke which can cause seizure like symptoms. However, we usually do see some sort of change in breathing such as rapid, shallow or labored breathing.

I have seen cats do similar things when they have fleas. Fleas are often hard to see on cats. You can try looking closely at the skin just above her tail, on her back. If you see any little black flecks, then put them on a white piece of paper, put water on them and see if they smear a rusty color. If there is any rust at all then this is because of fleas.

Because of her age, I would advise that you have your vet take a look at Oreo. I don't think she needs to be rushed in tonight, but sometime in the next few days would be good. I would especially ask your vet to listen to her heart. Usually if there is a heart problem we will hear either a strange rhythm or a murmur.

I wish I could give you a more exact answer, but her symptoms are quite vague!

Let me know if you have more questions.

First of all thank you for the information. We will look at taking her to a vet shortly. Reading everything you wrote it could be a number of things. This whole incident came and went within an hour. Oreo is acting like nothing every happened. No twitching, nothing. Yes we examined her and found some small fleas. Still plan on going to the vet, but wondering if fleas could account for this odd behavior? Talking to my wife she said that the exact same thing has happened three times in the last seven months.

Michael

Ah, I'm actually pleased that you found fleas because if this is due to irritation from fleas then this is much better than a seizure or a heart problem.

Yes, I could definitely see that fleas could cause these symptoms. But again, because of her age, it's still a good idea to have your vet examine her.

Regarding the fleas, don't waste your money on over the counter products. The prescription products such as Advantage or Revolution are by far the best. You need to be sure you treat monthly for at least 3 months and you need to make sure that all animals in the house are treated. If you do this, you won't need to be spraying your house with chemicals.

Urinating in house. Bella has started urinating in places other than her litter box. She has not been... (6213 views)

Drinking more and thirsty LILI, 7.5 YRS OLD, HAS STARTED WETTING HER BED AND SHE HAS AN UNENDING THIRST AND... (16808 views)

Flea problems. My dog Roxie has had a flea dip and has had her last months flea treatment, but she... (10767 views)

Lab gets into the garbage. Hi. I have a 75-lb. yellow lab. She was rescued from a breeder when she was a year... (10738 views)

Puppy leaking urine. My puppy seems to be going pee while he sleeps .. He's 7 weeks old. Is this normal?... (11527 views)

Cold paws and sore belly. My cat is in really bad shape, at first, she was really bloated and meowed in pain... (12474 views)

Puppy with hard lump on throat my dog has a hard lump on the side of his throat what could it be it is hard does... (20281 views)

Cat xray with fluid in chest. We euthanized our cat this week based on the recommendation of our vet. We feel we... (28306 views)

Itchy lump on eyelid. I have a 2 year old Shepherd mix, and he has developed a pink mole/growth on his... (8762 views)

Phenobarbital and Zonisamide. Ziggy had cluster seizures as a puppy and we have been controlling them (averages... (10486 views)