Proteus indole positive diarrhea.

Breed: none
I am from Romania. My cat Bruno (10 months) has diarrhea and at the faeces analysis it was discovered Proteus Indole Positive, sensitive at cefuroxime and ceftriaxone. We gave him cefuroxime for 8 days with no result. He is taking now ceftriaxone(injections) since a week, and still no result. Please tell me for how long should we continue this injections. Is there other treatment we can give? Thank you very much and please excuse my english.

Thank you for an interesting question.

I had to do some research for you as this is not a situation that I have encountered before. Proteus is a type of bacteria that is commonly found in feces. I read several studies that showed that it seems to be found in higher numbers in animals with diarrhea. However, as far as I can tell it is not believed to be a known cause of diarrhea.

It sounds like your vet cultured the stool sample and this is how the proteus was found. The culture is also what tells us which antibiotics would kill the proteus. Given that you have used both of the antibiotics which are supposed to be effective and Bruno still has diarrhea, I would be concerned that there may be something else going on.

It's hard for me to comment completely without knowing all of the facts, but I'll give you some of my thoughts.

If this were my case I would likely be treating him with a broad spectrum dewormer such as Panacur. I would do this even if no parasites were seen on fecal exam as sometimes not all parasites will turn up.

I would likely also be treating with Metronidazole (Flagyl) which is an antibiotic that will take care of giardia which is a common parasite affecting cats and also has properties to help with intestinal inflammation.

If this didn't work I would likely consider a trial of hypoallergenic food and possibly even some Prednisone in case of allergy or inflammatory bowel disease.

Diarrhea in cats can be difficult to figure out sometimes. I really hope that things clear up soon!

Pregnant dog with a fever? My bitch is pregnant - 63 days from first breeding today. Reproduction specialist... (39425 views)

Possible pyometra. My dog I believe is in heat but this month instead of a thin red color the discharge... (8205 views)

Anxious lab. He is over weight 16-17 years old male last sat myself(brian) and my wife and son... (6150 views)

Diabetes and cushings. Doc, I need an objective viewpoint. My 14 yr 3mo old dog Buddy has been diagnosed 3... (24052 views)

Metacam safety questions. Please can you advise regarding the use of Metacam injection with other drugs? I am... (14704 views)

Cat pooping in the house. Princess has recently started pooping around the house (about 2 months). I have had... (23910 views)

Cat licking his fur. Good evening, My 4 year old tuxedo cat has always been quite special (he meows... (13529 views)

Large lymph nodes. I spoke with you on sunday night about my shih tzu., I brought him to the vet on... (23588 views)

Blood in urine after bladder surgery Hello again Dr. Marie. My dog had bladder surgery on Monday. To make a long story... (20361 views)

Sick after eating Iams ProHealth. My cat has been eating IAMS PROHEALTH and this morning he threw up 4 times and now... (9810 views)