Proteus indole positive diarrhea.

Breed: none
I am from Romania. My cat Bruno (10 months) has diarrhea and at the faeces analysis it was discovered Proteus Indole Positive, sensitive at cefuroxime and ceftriaxone. We gave him cefuroxime for 8 days with no result. He is taking now ceftriaxone(injections) since a week, and still no result. Please tell me for how long should we continue this injections. Is there other treatment we can give? Thank you very much and please excuse my english.

Thank you for an interesting question.

I had to do some research for you as this is not a situation that I have encountered before. Proteus is a type of bacteria that is commonly found in feces. I read several studies that showed that it seems to be found in higher numbers in animals with diarrhea. However, as far as I can tell it is not believed to be a known cause of diarrhea.

It sounds like your vet cultured the stool sample and this is how the proteus was found. The culture is also what tells us which antibiotics would kill the proteus. Given that you have used both of the antibiotics which are supposed to be effective and Bruno still has diarrhea, I would be concerned that there may be something else going on.

It's hard for me to comment completely without knowing all of the facts, but I'll give you some of my thoughts.

If this were my case I would likely be treating him with a broad spectrum dewormer such as Panacur. I would do this even if no parasites were seen on fecal exam as sometimes not all parasites will turn up.

I would likely also be treating with Metronidazole (Flagyl) which is an antibiotic that will take care of giardia which is a common parasite affecting cats and also has properties to help with intestinal inflammation.

If this didn't work I would likely consider a trial of hypoallergenic food and possibly even some Prednisone in case of allergy or inflammatory bowel disease.

Diarrhea in cats can be difficult to figure out sometimes. I really hope that things clear up soon!

No bowel movement? Hi & thank you for taking my question. I would like to know if it is normal for my... (14239 views)

Can't urinate after neuter. My boy cat was castrated yesterday he has been trying to wee but there is no wee... (7781 views)

Older dog having seizures. My 10.5 year old chocolate lab had three seizures in 12 hours in October. He's... (15098 views)

Constantly meowing for food. Two years ago, we adopted a stray cat that was living in the bushes outside our... (5583 views)

Older dog liver problems. We gave a 13 year old Maltese. He has had liver shunts and since he was 3 months we... (11037 views)

Kitten with yellow diarrhea. Hi. My neighbor just called me about three days ago and asked if i would help nurse... (9816 views)

Toxoplasmosis and pregnancy. Hi. I'm 15 weeks pregnant and worried about my two cats. I know how to avoid... (4275 views)

Why is hamster quiet? what's wrong with my hamster... had her out for half an hour and she just lay on my... (17331 views)

Fleas on a newborn kitten. My cat just had kittens and they have fleas. What can I do to get rid of fleas on... (6952 views)

Puppy with vomiting and diarrhea. i have a 1 month old puppy and she is vomiting, not eating,pooping brown water and... (19806 views)