Proteus indole positive diarrhea.

Breed: none
I am from Romania. My cat Bruno (10 months) has diarrhea and at the faeces analysis it was discovered Proteus Indole Positive, sensitive at cefuroxime and ceftriaxone. We gave him cefuroxime for 8 days with no result. He is taking now ceftriaxone(injections) since a week, and still no result. Please tell me for how long should we continue this injections. Is there other treatment we can give? Thank you very much and please excuse my english.

Thank you for an interesting question.

I had to do some research for you as this is not a situation that I have encountered before. Proteus is a type of bacteria that is commonly found in feces. I read several studies that showed that it seems to be found in higher numbers in animals with diarrhea. However, as far as I can tell it is not believed to be a known cause of diarrhea.

It sounds like your vet cultured the stool sample and this is how the proteus was found. The culture is also what tells us which antibiotics would kill the proteus. Given that you have used both of the antibiotics which are supposed to be effective and Bruno still has diarrhea, I would be concerned that there may be something else going on.

It's hard for me to comment completely without knowing all of the facts, but I'll give you some of my thoughts.

If this were my case I would likely be treating him with a broad spectrum dewormer such as Panacur. I would do this even if no parasites were seen on fecal exam as sometimes not all parasites will turn up.

I would likely also be treating with Metronidazole (Flagyl) which is an antibiotic that will take care of giardia which is a common parasite affecting cats and also has properties to help with intestinal inflammation.

If this didn't work I would likely consider a trial of hypoallergenic food and possibly even some Prednisone in case of allergy or inflammatory bowel disease.

Diarrhea in cats can be difficult to figure out sometimes. I really hope that things clear up soon!

Wound on ear won't heal. My puppy accidentally scratched her inner ear, the wound scabbed over but now she... (17725 views)

Epogen for cat with anemia. Hi Dr. Marie, I need a second opinion. My 19 year old male cat was recently... (13797 views)

Muscle atrophy in a cat. Its been two weeks since my 13 yr old cat, Sweety, has been unable to walk and the 4... (25439 views)

Vaccine FeLV positive cat? If my cat tested positive for FeLv should he still get vaccine boosters like fvrcp,... (7943 views)

Dog not urinating after neuter. Hi dr just wondering if you could help me. My 1year old American Akita diesel had... (47717 views)

Should we do surgery? Hello Dr. Marie, My cat Gus will be 15 in 3 months. We have been working with his... (10722 views)

Trouble urinating after neuter surgery. Hi Dr, Max was neutered yesterday at 10 am. The nurses said he went to pee 2... (62119 views)

My dog is bleeding. I adopted my dog from a local shelter as a puppy of 12 weeks. they said that due to... (12366 views)

Hamster skin problems. Hello my hamster hair has started to fall out and he got flaky skin with sore's from... (17099 views)

Pooping outside of box. Hi, I have a 13 year old cat named Dagmar. Apart from being slightly overweight, she... (7884 views)