Proteus indole positive diarrhea.

Breed: none
I am from Romania. My cat Bruno (10 months) has diarrhea and at the faeces analysis it was discovered Proteus Indole Positive, sensitive at cefuroxime and ceftriaxone. We gave him cefuroxime for 8 days with no result. He is taking now ceftriaxone(injections) since a week, and still no result. Please tell me for how long should we continue this injections. Is there other treatment we can give? Thank you very much and please excuse my english.

Thank you for an interesting question.

I had to do some research for you as this is not a situation that I have encountered before. Proteus is a type of bacteria that is commonly found in feces. I read several studies that showed that it seems to be found in higher numbers in animals with diarrhea. However, as far as I can tell it is not believed to be a known cause of diarrhea.

It sounds like your vet cultured the stool sample and this is how the proteus was found. The culture is also what tells us which antibiotics would kill the proteus. Given that you have used both of the antibiotics which are supposed to be effective and Bruno still has diarrhea, I would be concerned that there may be something else going on.

It's hard for me to comment completely without knowing all of the facts, but I'll give you some of my thoughts.

If this were my case I would likely be treating him with a broad spectrum dewormer such as Panacur. I would do this even if no parasites were seen on fecal exam as sometimes not all parasites will turn up.

I would likely also be treating with Metronidazole (Flagyl) which is an antibiotic that will take care of giardia which is a common parasite affecting cats and also has properties to help with intestinal inflammation.

If this didn't work I would likely consider a trial of hypoallergenic food and possibly even some Prednisone in case of allergy or inflammatory bowel disease.

Diarrhea in cats can be difficult to figure out sometimes. I really hope that things clear up soon!

Dental care for older dog. I have an older dog with bad teeth but no way to afford doggy dental. I was... (19849 views)

Guinea pig-Scab and itchy. my guinea pig is scratching a sore what is wrong with... (10237 views)

Swelling on neck. I just noticed that when my dog barks the right side of her neck swells about 1-2... (4673 views)

Lump near spay incision. Dog has sore on paw looks like a circle and it's very tender to touch. It has... (23190 views)

Dog was limping and death. My dog was favoring his left front leg and he is an outside dog with lots of energy,... (14299 views)

House training adult dog. Is it possible to house break a 5 y/o mini pin that was rescued from a puppy mill? ... (8293 views)

Kitten won't get out of litter box. PLEASE HELP...MY RAGDOLL KITTEN 9 WKS OLD WONT GET OUT OF THE LITTERBOX HARDLY AT... (9771 views)

Constipated kittens. I am fostering 5 kittens. I think they are about 5 weeks old. They still cannot use... (8549 views)

Possible silent heat. She went into heat last year in August for the first time. She has not gone into... (12777 views)

Chihuahua with loose teeth. My Chihuahua's teeth are starting to get very loose. She is only two years old,... (11652 views)