Proteus indole positive diarrhea.

Breed: none
I am from Romania. My cat Bruno (10 months) has diarrhea and at the faeces analysis it was discovered Proteus Indole Positive, sensitive at cefuroxime and ceftriaxone. We gave him cefuroxime for 8 days with no result. He is taking now ceftriaxone(injections) since a week, and still no result. Please tell me for how long should we continue this injections. Is there other treatment we can give? Thank you very much and please excuse my english.

Thank you for an interesting question.

I had to do some research for you as this is not a situation that I have encountered before. Proteus is a type of bacteria that is commonly found in feces. I read several studies that showed that it seems to be found in higher numbers in animals with diarrhea. However, as far as I can tell it is not believed to be a known cause of diarrhea.

It sounds like your vet cultured the stool sample and this is how the proteus was found. The culture is also what tells us which antibiotics would kill the proteus. Given that you have used both of the antibiotics which are supposed to be effective and Bruno still has diarrhea, I would be concerned that there may be something else going on.

It's hard for me to comment completely without knowing all of the facts, but I'll give you some of my thoughts.

If this were my case I would likely be treating him with a broad spectrum dewormer such as Panacur. I would do this even if no parasites were seen on fecal exam as sometimes not all parasites will turn up.

I would likely also be treating with Metronidazole (Flagyl) which is an antibiotic that will take care of giardia which is a common parasite affecting cats and also has properties to help with intestinal inflammation.

If this didn't work I would likely consider a trial of hypoallergenic food and possibly even some Prednisone in case of allergy or inflammatory bowel disease.

Diarrhea in cats can be difficult to figure out sometimes. I really hope that things clear up soon!

Rat lost his brother. My rat has lost his brother will he be ok i am not getting another... (12894 views)

Sudden pain in dog. I have a nine year old female black lab mix, Polly. When I adopted her, I was... (7851 views)

Dog can't poop. okay hi how r u doing? my little dog she is a puppy she is 8 months she cant booboo... (16135 views)

Dog barked during euthanasia. Hi Why most likley did my dog bark out when the vet put him to sleep. I thought... (14453 views)

Fly bites on dog's ears. My dogs are having problems with fly, on their ears what should I do, to help them. ... (10386 views)

Black spot on tongue. Hi, I have an 10 year old mutt, and she's never eaten dog food, for 10 years I've... (10527 views)

Cat can't gain weight. My cat is underweight, I've tried feeding her more but it isn't working... How can I... (18706 views)

Hyperaldosteronism? My niece's 12 yr old cat vomits about every 6 days, gets dehydrated, listless and... (5845 views)

Kitten is walking funny. Recently I have noticed that our new addition to the family has been walking... (15778 views)

Sick Golden Dr., I try to keep this short: My kids golden, 7+ years old, got lyme like 3... (7891 views)