Blood in urine after bladder surgery

Breed: Shih Tzu Mix
Hello again Dr. Marie.

My dog had bladder surgery on Monday. To make a long story short, Doodle had blood in her urine for some time. After a vet visit, the vet thought she had a mass, but the mass ended up being inflammation. She was diagnosed with a bad Proteus infection via a culture and sensitivity test. They also conducted a bladder wall biopsy, which showed no other problems except inflammation. Currently, she is on Ciprofloxacin 250mg twice a day and Carprofen/Rimadyl 25mg twice a day.

She came home Thursday. Since then, I have noticed that the bleeding stopped. Today, blood in urine has returned and seems to be worse than before.

My vet is out of the office until Monday or I would call him.

Is the bleeding normal after surgery? This is a question I really should have asked before I took her home, but there were so many other questions I had, too!

Should I take her to an emergency vet before Monday?

Hi again,

This bleeding likely is normal. Lots of animals will bleed off and on after bladder surgery. If there is any inflammation at all in the bladder it can bleed quite easily. And this bladder is recovering from being cut open.

As long as Doodle is not having difficulty with urination I would not be worried!

But after the weekend it's probably a good idea to call your vet.

Azithromycin and cat death. I run my own rescue group. I do all the cleaning, transporting, adopting, and I... (10902 views)

Ear mites? My cat has been scratching at it's ear and itching it. I think he has ear mites. I... (9860 views)

Puppy doesn't want to eat. It has been over a week since my Sheltie has lost her appetite. She hardly touches... (10121 views)

Lump after vaccines. ...Hello! My name is Jessie and I have a Teacup Chihuhua named Zeep. He is about 10... (15081 views)

Can't put weight on his leg. my pit bull is shaking all over a refusing to put weight on his back leg what should... (27366 views)

Dog attacked by javelina. My dog got attacked by a javelina.. shes bleeding from her nose and mouth, what... (8893 views)

Arsenic in Rawhides? I've given my dogs rawhides for years with no problems--usually 1-2/day. They enjoy... (7228 views)

High LDDS and ALKP Hello Dr. Marie You might remember me and Oreo from past questions? Well, Oreo... (6017 views)

Yorkie with diarrhea. Hello, I have a yorkshire terrier that 1 year old and weighs 5.5 pounds. He is a... (11706 views)

White spot on eye. My cat has a greyish white spot on surface of her eye. It is not in the iris nor is... (31337 views)