Blood in urine after bladder surgery

Breed: Shih Tzu Mix
Hello again Dr. Marie.

My dog had bladder surgery on Monday. To make a long story short, Doodle had blood in her urine for some time. After a vet visit, the vet thought she had a mass, but the mass ended up being inflammation. She was diagnosed with a bad Proteus infection via a culture and sensitivity test. They also conducted a bladder wall biopsy, which showed no other problems except inflammation. Currently, she is on Ciprofloxacin 250mg twice a day and Carprofen/Rimadyl 25mg twice a day.

She came home Thursday. Since then, I have noticed that the bleeding stopped. Today, blood in urine has returned and seems to be worse than before.

My vet is out of the office until Monday or I would call him.

Is the bleeding normal after surgery? This is a question I really should have asked before I took her home, but there were so many other questions I had, too!

Should I take her to an emergency vet before Monday?

Hi again,

This bleeding likely is normal. Lots of animals will bleed off and on after bladder surgery. If there is any inflammation at all in the bladder it can bleed quite easily. And this bladder is recovering from being cut open.

As long as Doodle is not having difficulty with urination I would not be worried!

But after the weekend it's probably a good idea to call your vet.

Dog throws up 3-5 times per week. Max is active & playful. He's a picky eater but seems to eat enough and drinks... (14764 views)

Possible autoimmune disease. Hi, My dog is currently under vetrinarian care but he has a problem that my... (8732 views)

Not eating and very weak. Our dog has been quite sick for a bit over a week now. We live on a small island in... (56458 views)

Cat has an itchy head. Hello, my cat's head is very itchy. She has been wearing a e-collar for a year... (9496 views)

Brown near cat's vagina. Talia has brown in her fur around her vagina and I wiped it with a baby wipe and it... (17070 views)

Guinea pig losing teeth. its mouth is sore and can only chew mashed up food its loosing his teeth to its not... (8483 views)

Spaying an older dog. My dog is 10 years old and has had 2 litters of puppies. I would like to have her... (7252 views)

Vita Calm in dogs? i was wondering if i could safly use vitacalm for hosres on my dog for his... (8041 views)

Are brewers grains safe for dogs? Are brewers grains safe for dogs? My husband wants to buy some dog treats that are... (6750 views)

Is my dog hypothyroid? My bichon is obese. She weighs 35 lbs but is also taller than my other bichon who... (6597 views)