Blood in urine after bladder surgery

Breed: Shih Tzu Mix
Hello again Dr. Marie.

My dog had bladder surgery on Monday. To make a long story short, Doodle had blood in her urine for some time. After a vet visit, the vet thought she had a mass, but the mass ended up being inflammation. She was diagnosed with a bad Proteus infection via a culture and sensitivity test. They also conducted a bladder wall biopsy, which showed no other problems except inflammation. Currently, she is on Ciprofloxacin 250mg twice a day and Carprofen/Rimadyl 25mg twice a day.

She came home Thursday. Since then, I have noticed that the bleeding stopped. Today, blood in urine has returned and seems to be worse than before.

My vet is out of the office until Monday or I would call him.

Is the bleeding normal after surgery? This is a question I really should have asked before I took her home, but there were so many other questions I had, too!

Should I take her to an emergency vet before Monday?

Hi again,

This bleeding likely is normal. Lots of animals will bleed off and on after bladder surgery. If there is any inflammation at all in the bladder it can bleed quite easily. And this bladder is recovering from being cut open.

As long as Doodle is not having difficulty with urination I would not be worried!

But after the weekend it's probably a good idea to call your vet.

Vomiting dog. Our vet has told us that Lola won't digest all her food and empty her stomach in the... (7845 views)

Where is dog's vulva? My husband resqued a blue tick in the National Forest that was being chased by 2... (55302 views)

Broken leg - not eating. Last night my 7 week old puppy broke her leg , we took her to the emergency pet... (7698 views)

Cyst or cancer? About a year ago, Bella started limping occasionally. When I inspected her leg, I... (6106 views)

Lifespan of a rat? What is the average lifespan of a rat? My rat is 3 years old and very healthy. Is... (7283 views)

Starting pay of a vet. I'm a student hoping to study Vet Med but I might need to get student loan for the... (6087 views)

Dog pees when excited. comit had surgery done to remove a hernia and the vets said it was of most good to... (10905 views)

Advantage Multi Reaction? Cat losing weight after advantage multi treatment, what can I do to make him start... (8389 views)

Does Prozac cause diarrhea in dogs? I want to know if continuing diarrhea is a possible side effect of prozac. My dog... (23353 views)

urinating in the house Dr. Marie, Isabella is a healthy 13 yr old female cat. For a short period we... (7500 views)