Blood in urine after bladder surgery

Breed: Shih Tzu Mix
Hello again Dr. Marie.

My dog had bladder surgery on Monday. To make a long story short, Doodle had blood in her urine for some time. After a vet visit, the vet thought she had a mass, but the mass ended up being inflammation. She was diagnosed with a bad Proteus infection via a culture and sensitivity test. They also conducted a bladder wall biopsy, which showed no other problems except inflammation. Currently, she is on Ciprofloxacin 250mg twice a day and Carprofen/Rimadyl 25mg twice a day.

She came home Thursday. Since then, I have noticed that the bleeding stopped. Today, blood in urine has returned and seems to be worse than before.

My vet is out of the office until Monday or I would call him.

Is the bleeding normal after surgery? This is a question I really should have asked before I took her home, but there were so many other questions I had, too!

Should I take her to an emergency vet before Monday?

Hi again,

This bleeding likely is normal. Lots of animals will bleed off and on after bladder surgery. If there is any inflammation at all in the bladder it can bleed quite easily. And this bladder is recovering from being cut open.

As long as Doodle is not having difficulty with urination I would not be worried!

But after the weekend it's probably a good idea to call your vet.

Seizures...brain tumor? Hello Dr. Marie, I have an interesting scenario for you. Our Aussie is 13 and as... (6196 views)

Clavaseptin and diarrhea. My puppy recently had to spend a night at the vet, we are pretty sure he just ate... (15080 views)

Is kennel cough contagious to people? hi my 3 year old standard poodle went to the groomer on wed and today he was... (11499 views)

Coughing and sneezing dog. I have a three month old teacup Yorkie. He had a check up last week and got his... (28592 views)

Puppy sleeps all the time. Hi, We just got our puppy Marley on Sunday, 16. He is eating and drinking, and is 7... (10004 views)

Pooping and peeing outside of box. I own two cats and they're both litter box trained but today my oldest cat pooped... (7837 views)

Pregnant cat question. Back in March approx. around the 9th my cat Faith went into heat. During this time... (31677 views)

Natural treatment for lymphoma? my dog was just diagnosed with lymphoma cancer. hes on prednisone. cant afford... (8659 views)

Cat died after intestinal surgery. Hi, I tried to send email this morning but some how pay pal didn't take me to right... (8818 views)

Phenobarbital and Zonisamide. Ziggy had cluster seizures as a puppy and we have been controlling them (averages... (8545 views)