Blood in urine after bladder surgery

Breed: Shih Tzu Mix
Hello again Dr. Marie.

My dog had bladder surgery on Monday. To make a long story short, Doodle had blood in her urine for some time. After a vet visit, the vet thought she had a mass, but the mass ended up being inflammation. She was diagnosed with a bad Proteus infection via a culture and sensitivity test. They also conducted a bladder wall biopsy, which showed no other problems except inflammation. Currently, she is on Ciprofloxacin 250mg twice a day and Carprofen/Rimadyl 25mg twice a day.

She came home Thursday. Since then, I have noticed that the bleeding stopped. Today, blood in urine has returned and seems to be worse than before.

My vet is out of the office until Monday or I would call him.

Is the bleeding normal after surgery? This is a question I really should have asked before I took her home, but there were so many other questions I had, too!

Should I take her to an emergency vet before Monday?

Hi again,

This bleeding likely is normal. Lots of animals will bleed off and on after bladder surgery. If there is any inflammation at all in the bladder it can bleed quite easily. And this bladder is recovering from being cut open.

As long as Doodle is not having difficulty with urination I would not be worried!

But after the weekend it's probably a good idea to call your vet.

Hyperthyroidism and stress. My cat Harry, who is approximately 12 years old, was just diagnosed with... (7635 views)

Should we do surgery? Hello Dr. Marie, My cat Gus will be 15 in 3 months. We have been working with his... (8947 views)

Wobbly after back surgery. My little dog, pumpkin, had surgery for a 'blown disc' 2-1/2 years. She attempts to... (7390 views)

Stuck together - pregnant? Please help, my two dogs were stuck together today,I think she's pregnant. I'm... (12024 views)

Kidney problems in ferret. Hi there, I am the owner of a ferret male, 2.5 years old, who in the last week,... (11288 views)

Cat is urinating on my bed. Hi Dr Marie, You may not remember me - I'm from Australia, my partner and I email... (7317 views)

Lump after vaccines. We took Max to the vet for shots. The vet gave them to him on his lower back and he... (31150 views)

Dog urinates while walking Recently, I have noticed that my dog will walk along urinating. It seems to me that... (30687 views)

Oozing boil on dog's paw. My dog has a sort of woozing boil on her paw and all around it there is hair loss... (11085 views)

Puppy ate vomit. my dog is crying and has a fever and is very sluggish my wife is pregnant and going... (9076 views)