Can a dog adapt to a new home?

Breed: golden retriever
Hello, thanks for taking the time to review my question. Ok, here it goes...The gist of my inquiry is about the adaptability of a golden. About three years ago I purchased and raised Aspen from a puppy. I was in flight school with the Navy at the time. The dog made great strides and was a joy to have. When a hurricane was coming through pensacola florida, I had no choice but to send the dog to my parents house to ensure her safety (I had to fly a helicopter out of the area). Now, she has been with my parents and their golden (Easton) for about 2 years (I had to deploy to the middle east for a year). Now I'm finally at a spot where I will be around for a while and wanted to get another dog. How hard would it be to bring my dog, Aspen, to my house in california? would she be able to handle the adjustment? And would it be the best thing for the dog, as she is happy with my parents. Thank you for you time.

Thanks for your question! I really do think that dogs adapt to change very easily. I have seen a great number of dogs that have had to leave one home to go to another and they always seem to do fine.

As far as whether she is best with you or your parents, I think only your family can answer that. But, I think that whatever you choose, Aspen will be ok.

Dog is limping. Denaro has had a limp in his left front leg for about a month, it goes from a... (17080 views)

Cat ate vitamin D3. I believe my cat accidentally ingested a 1000iu capsule of Vitamin D3 I read your... (36168 views)

fleas from puppy We just got a new Puppy. We have had him for a month. Since about 2 weeks after we... (11656 views)

Patellar luxation surgery for pomeranian? Hi, How necessary is it to have surgery on a 2 year old Pomeranian's back legs to... (7543 views)

Cancer or infection? My dog recently completed radiation therapy for a brain tumor and he handled the... (7168 views)

lump on spay incision Hello Dr. Marie, Gracie was spayed 5 days ago. Her incision looks wonderful... (28555 views)

Blind, deaf and no sense of smell. Jack was diagnosed as hyperthyroid in February and has been on methimazole since... (8375 views)

Eye and ear infections. My dog was diagnosed with diabetes a few months ago. We are giving her Humulin N. ... (15157 views)

My cat died. My cat was found dead by a neighbour on a grass verge about 10ft from the road on... (12854 views)

Liver shunt or exercise induced collapse? Hello Dr. Marie, I have a 2 year old female lab named Harper. Harper loves to play... (6922 views)