Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Head tremors and bloody discharge.

Species: Cat
Breed: calico
Age: 11-15 years
Dear Dr. Marie my fiance Melissa contacted you friday 02/26/2010 about are cat wildwood. her systems were slight head tremors and wobbliness. However she has become less responsive since then. She also has what looks like a bloody discharge coming out of mouth, along with not being able to stand at all now. From what it seems doesn't seem able to drink water without me having to put it right underneath her and she does drink it is very little.She also doesn't seem able to be able to meow either. I have her as comfortable as I can. The earliest I was able into the vet was tuesday 03/02/2010 at 2pm. However I am going try to get her in somewhere else tommorrow if anyone can take her. I am just wandering if it could be possible from her getting groomed for the first time. could of any of her conditions been caused by bing groomed. Could it possible that she may of gotten an internal injury from being groomed. I thank you for your time and any information that you may be able to offer us.


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Hi William. I'm sorry to hear that Wildwood is still having problems. It really sounds like she is unwell. It is unlikely that these symptoms are the result of being groomed.

It sounds like she may have a problem in her mouth such as a severe dental abscess or possibly a tumor. Unfortunately with the other symptoms you mentioned about wobbliness and tremors I am quite concerned about a brain tumor. It is possible that there is cancer that is affecting her mouth as well as her brain.

It sounds like she is extremely weak. From what you have described I do not think that she should wait until Tuesday to go in to see a vet. Hopefully you can find someone who can take her in tomorrow.

If there is an abscess of some sort then it is possible that she can be made better with some IV fluids, antibiotics and other medications. However, I think we need to prepare that this may be something serious enough to warrant euthanasia.

I wish I could offer you some advice on how to keep her comfortable till then. You can try making some soup by adding warm water to some canned food to see if she will eat that. However, I do think the best thing for her will be to have her see a vet as soon as possible.

I hope everything goes ok.
Dr. Marie


Do you have a pet website? Interested in learning more about SEO for Wix?


Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Trouble breathing and died. my beloved cat mr whippy died recently and i am breaking my heart thinking i could... (9480 views)

Pit bull puppy is sick. My dog was outside and I was callig her, bit she didn't come I went to look for her... (8343 views)

Ok for dog to eat cat food? My puppy gets annoyed and jealous of me interacting with my cat, especially when I... (5125 views)

Pink growths on chest of dog. Sometime in the past 4 weeks my dog has developed small string like pink growths on... (14827 views)

Metronidazole and liver disease. My dog was diagnosed with sudden liver failure brought on by Interceptor. He got... (27242 views)

Can rabbits carry rabies? I am wondering what the chances of a baby wild rabbit having rabies is. The baby is... (16311 views)

Swollen paw in a cat. My year old cat's right paw is bloated , I tried to look more closely and the fur... (20221 views)

Perianal fistula Dear Dr Marie, My baby doggie, Mushka, has developed small pimple-sized boils... (22255 views)

Vomiting Golden Retriever. We went up to Lake Tahoe for the weekend, both of our dogs receive home made food,... (13534 views)

Basset Hound whining. My basset has seemed to be more whiny latley than usual. I felt around his joints... (9083 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.