Clavaseptin and diarrhea.

Breed: Husky/Rottie Cross
My puppy recently had to spend a night at the vet, we are pretty sure he just ate something he wasn't suppose to, we think some type of plant. He spent the whole night throwing up and moving around like he had an upset/sore tummy, he then became dehydrated and lethargic so we took him to the vet who kept him for the night. They gave him an IV and got him hydrated. The vomitting had actually stopped before we took him to the vet, and he didn't have any diarrhea before the vet or during his stay with the vet. His temperature was normal the entire time as well. They still haven't really confirmed what happened, but the next morning they said we could pick him up, he was full of energy once again and has been ever since. They gave him Medi Cal gastro food, and 2 medications: Clavaseptin and Famotidine. He has been on this food and drugs for 4 days now and he now has diarrhea, the first couple days it was half sold stool and half diarrhea, but now it's just diarrhea. From what I could find both drugs can potentially give him diarrhea. Is this more than likely what is causing it? He still plays a lot all day long, and eats and drinks plenty, he seems perfectly fine other than the diarrhea. We also have his first shots booked for next week, only 6 days away (he will be 8 weeks next week). Is it still safe to get his shots? I am almost positive it is just the pills giving him diarrhea but will the shots do any harm to him while he is on these pills or perhaps his body is slightly run down because of the diarrhea so would the shots be safe?? The Famotidine medicine will be finished by tomorrow, but the clavaseptin doesn't run out for another 6 or so days, right when he is suppose to get his first shots... should I postpone his first shots for a few days? If it is the drugs giving him diarrhea should he stay on them or should he be taking something else? I don't want him to get dehydrated but he is still drinking a normal & healthy amount of water daily. Would giving him a pro-biotic or organic natural plain yogurt help give him back some healthy bacteria?
Sorry this is so long... I just wanted to be thorough! Thank you so much for your time!!

Sincerely,
Shanda Buchanan

Sorry to hear that your puppy is not doing well.

From what you have described it is unlikely that either the Clavaseptin or the Famotidine is causing the diarrhea.

Do you know if your vet did a fecal exam to look for parasites? It is quite common for a puppy to have parasites. The standard dewormers do not take care of all parasites such as coccidia or giardia. It may be that the pup needs additional medication.

A small amount of natural yogurt may help a little bit, and is unlikely to hurt. I would stay away from a pro-biotic unless it was one prescribed by your vet.

Regarding the shots, on one hand I would say to postpone his vaccines until the diarrhea is better. But, on the other hand, if he still has diarrhea by the time of your vaccine apointment it would be best to take him in and have the vet reassess him to figure out why he has diarrhea.

I hope he is ok!

Renal failure. Dear Dr. Marie, My 10 year old Yorkie Bobo has been diagnosed with chronic kidney... (13865 views)

Vomiting yellow liquid. Maynard has been vomiting up yellowish urine colored liquid a few time in the last... (8123 views)

Cat shaking and licking lips. My cat (11 months old) is a male cat, neutered, all shots, etc. He has always been... (20868 views)

Addison's disease. I had almost the same experience as the person who wrote you about losing their dog... (17593 views)

Do cats taste sweet? Dr. Marie, This is really more of a general question than a question about my pet... (20518 views)

Bassett hound freaks out Our dog is healthy and happy, usually. He's been to the vet once per year to get his... (7326 views)

Dog looks depressed. Hello, Dr. My dog is pretty active but he usually looks "depressed" out of the... (8034 views)

How does a vet put a dog to sleep? i'm thinking about putting my dog to sleep and i was wondering if i could stay in... (16105 views)

When to euthanize dog with arthritis. Hello. I'm going through a really hard time right now, trying to make a decision... (38737 views)

Feral cat with eye infection. We have a feral cat that was born in our yard 5 years ago. When he was a kitten he... (25409 views)