Clavaseptin and diarrhea.

Breed: Husky/Rottie Cross
My puppy recently had to spend a night at the vet, we are pretty sure he just ate something he wasn't suppose to, we think some type of plant. He spent the whole night throwing up and moving around like he had an upset/sore tummy, he then became dehydrated and lethargic so we took him to the vet who kept him for the night. They gave him an IV and got him hydrated. The vomitting had actually stopped before we took him to the vet, and he didn't have any diarrhea before the vet or during his stay with the vet. His temperature was normal the entire time as well. They still haven't really confirmed what happened, but the next morning they said we could pick him up, he was full of energy once again and has been ever since. They gave him Medi Cal gastro food, and 2 medications: Clavaseptin and Famotidine. He has been on this food and drugs for 4 days now and he now has diarrhea, the first couple days it was half sold stool and half diarrhea, but now it's just diarrhea. From what I could find both drugs can potentially give him diarrhea. Is this more than likely what is causing it? He still plays a lot all day long, and eats and drinks plenty, he seems perfectly fine other than the diarrhea. We also have his first shots booked for next week, only 6 days away (he will be 8 weeks next week). Is it still safe to get his shots? I am almost positive it is just the pills giving him diarrhea but will the shots do any harm to him while he is on these pills or perhaps his body is slightly run down because of the diarrhea so would the shots be safe?? The Famotidine medicine will be finished by tomorrow, but the clavaseptin doesn't run out for another 6 or so days, right when he is suppose to get his first shots... should I postpone his first shots for a few days? If it is the drugs giving him diarrhea should he stay on them or should he be taking something else? I don't want him to get dehydrated but he is still drinking a normal & healthy amount of water daily. Would giving him a pro-biotic or organic natural plain yogurt help give him back some healthy bacteria?
Sorry this is so long... I just wanted to be thorough! Thank you so much for your time!!

Sincerely,
Shanda Buchanan

Sorry to hear that your puppy is not doing well.

From what you have described it is unlikely that either the Clavaseptin or the Famotidine is causing the diarrhea.

Do you know if your vet did a fecal exam to look for parasites? It is quite common for a puppy to have parasites. The standard dewormers do not take care of all parasites such as coccidia or giardia. It may be that the pup needs additional medication.

A small amount of natural yogurt may help a little bit, and is unlikely to hurt. I would stay away from a pro-biotic unless it was one prescribed by your vet.

Regarding the shots, on one hand I would say to postpone his vaccines until the diarrhea is better. But, on the other hand, if he still has diarrhea by the time of your vaccine apointment it would be best to take him in and have the vet reassess him to figure out why he has diarrhea.

I hope he is ok!

Black spot on dog's chest. My Dog recently got this black spot on her chest. When I first looked at it, it... (28600 views)

White spot on dog's nose. sadie has a white spot below her nose right in the middle of the muzzle i can't tell... (32364 views)

Should dog be euthanized if he bites? We adopted a lab / hound mix dog from a local shelter. They didn't know much about... (10556 views)

Chihuahua with hair loss. Hey Dr.Marie. I'm writing to you about my puppy chihuahua. Sooty. She has just... (8625 views)

Kitten was hit by a car. Hello. I would really appreciate if you could help with this situation. My kitten... (9050 views)

Need spanish to be a vet? I am wishing to go into the veterinary workforce, and I would love to know if you... (10829 views)

Cat has a swelling with pus. Hi my name is Retief you see a couple of weeks ago a friend told me my cat fell out... (6826 views)

Draining fluid for heart failure. My dog has Congestive Heart Failure. He is under the care of a veterinarian and... (15899 views)

How much water should a puppy drink? Dr Marie, This is more a precautionary question. Max is 4.5 months old, 37... (84445 views)

Aggressive cat My cat attacked me out of the blue today. This is very much out of character for... (22145 views)