Clavaseptin and diarrhea.

Breed: Husky/Rottie Cross
My puppy recently had to spend a night at the vet, we are pretty sure he just ate something he wasn't suppose to, we think some type of plant. He spent the whole night throwing up and moving around like he had an upset/sore tummy, he then became dehydrated and lethargic so we took him to the vet who kept him for the night. They gave him an IV and got him hydrated. The vomitting had actually stopped before we took him to the vet, and he didn't have any diarrhea before the vet or during his stay with the vet. His temperature was normal the entire time as well. They still haven't really confirmed what happened, but the next morning they said we could pick him up, he was full of energy once again and has been ever since. They gave him Medi Cal gastro food, and 2 medications: Clavaseptin and Famotidine. He has been on this food and drugs for 4 days now and he now has diarrhea, the first couple days it was half sold stool and half diarrhea, but now it's just diarrhea. From what I could find both drugs can potentially give him diarrhea. Is this more than likely what is causing it? He still plays a lot all day long, and eats and drinks plenty, he seems perfectly fine other than the diarrhea. We also have his first shots booked for next week, only 6 days away (he will be 8 weeks next week). Is it still safe to get his shots? I am almost positive it is just the pills giving him diarrhea but will the shots do any harm to him while he is on these pills or perhaps his body is slightly run down because of the diarrhea so would the shots be safe?? The Famotidine medicine will be finished by tomorrow, but the clavaseptin doesn't run out for another 6 or so days, right when he is suppose to get his first shots... should I postpone his first shots for a few days? If it is the drugs giving him diarrhea should he stay on them or should he be taking something else? I don't want him to get dehydrated but he is still drinking a normal & healthy amount of water daily. Would giving him a pro-biotic or organic natural plain yogurt help give him back some healthy bacteria?
Sorry this is so long... I just wanted to be thorough! Thank you so much for your time!!

Sincerely,
Shanda Buchanan

Sorry to hear that your puppy is not doing well.

From what you have described it is unlikely that either the Clavaseptin or the Famotidine is causing the diarrhea.

Do you know if your vet did a fecal exam to look for parasites? It is quite common for a puppy to have parasites. The standard dewormers do not take care of all parasites such as coccidia or giardia. It may be that the pup needs additional medication.

A small amount of natural yogurt may help a little bit, and is unlikely to hurt. I would stay away from a pro-biotic unless it was one prescribed by your vet.

Regarding the shots, on one hand I would say to postpone his vaccines until the diarrhea is better. But, on the other hand, if he still has diarrhea by the time of your vaccine apointment it would be best to take him in and have the vet reassess him to figure out why he has diarrhea.

I hope he is ok!

Heart murmur in puppy. Does this sound like a "normal" heart for a 10 week old Chihuahua pup? I know it's... (6368 views)

Dog bite wound. Hello, My dog got bit by a Pit bull on Saturday 9/1. I was not able to take him to... (12177 views)

Sick cat after teeth cleaning. she had her teeth cleaned on march 1st...came home..she was woozy from... (14041 views)

Kitten nursing on my neck. why does my 8 to 10 month old kitty keep trying to suckle at my neck. He will not... (14750 views)

Ovarian remnant Hi, We have a spayed cat that has been showing signs of being on heat on and off... (10012 views)

Kitten won't eat. my kitten won't eat but will drink water and he is sluggish and has had weight loss... (19544 views)

Drooling and twitching. My 8 week old Mini American Eskimo has been drooling excessively all day. The... (13145 views)

Kitten urinating in house. we adopted a 4 month old kitten 3 weeks ago. yesterday he urinated on my husbands... (6067 views)

Cat is killing lizards. My cat keeps killing lizards that come inside the house. I have tryed spraying water... (14345 views)

Dog with swollen face. our dog woke up with a swollen face. i think that something might have bitten him. ... (11588 views)