Human medicine for cats?

Breed: inbreed
Dear Whom ever it concerns,
Hi my name is Lindsey. I got this stray cat 3-4 months ago from a barn and she is inbreed. When I got her everything seemed like she was healthy except she had a bit of a cold, like she was congested. And ever since I had her she has been sneezing a lot and that's it and snot would come out of her nose when she did. So, my friend told me to get some children medicine from the store and give her like 1/2 a tablespoon so I tried putting it in her food, she didn't touch it. So I put it in her water, she still didn't touch it. So I just gave up. Well, today I woke up and she had a hard time breathing and when she tried to sneeze nothing would come out and she still couldn't breathe. So, I looked through the house and found a sringe and I put 1/2 tbs of equate, children's allergy relief and I put the sringe in the side of her mouth and gave it to her. Two seconds later she started foaming at the mouth. Now, I don't know her weight and she never had any of her shots. So my question is this; Is it normal for a cat to foam at the mouth when giving it human medicine? Or is it something I should be concerned with?
Thank you,
Lindsey

Never ever give human medicine to cats. Some of them can be fatal. If this medicine contains tylenol (acetominophen) it can potentially kill a cat.

Regarding the respiratory problems, you may get some help from reading this previous question:

Respiratory virus in cats.

Dog or cat pooping in house. Everyday – twice a day – morning and when I get home from work –... (18639 views)

Pink growths on chest of dog. Sometime in the past 4 weeks my dog has developed small string like pink growths on... (14551 views)

Increased thirst and urination. Hi Dr. Marie, This question concerns crystals in urine. Starting about 1 week... (4587 views)

Sore black lab? Hi, I have a 6 1/2 year old extremely active Black Lab named Miller. He loves to... (21176 views)

Does fampridine help with spinal cord trauma? Has there been any success, or even attempt, at treating paralysis in cats using... (11443 views)

Not nursing, diarrhea. We have two mom cats with seven kittens each, one litter a week and a half older... (4780 views)

Lumps on cat's abdomen. Cubbie recently (1 week) developed two fibrous (?) lumps, one on each side of her... (23873 views)

Dog biting his own penis. I have 2 foster brothers who had been severely abused when I took them in. (Broken... (55048 views)

Ketoconazole, Heartgard, Comfortis. Good morning. Well this is kind of a follow-up question on Poppi. I wrote to you on... (5669 views)

Cat has fleas. My poor cat has fleas, he is losing hair and is just miserable. I am looking for a... (4883 views)