How often is a dog in heat?

Breed: Australian Shepherd
My dog started her first heat yesterday. I know not to breed her now she is not ready, my question is how long usely before they go into there 2nd heat?

Thanks for your question. Dogs generally go in to heat about every 6 months, but it can vary from dog to dog.

Little Bitt may be fertile for up to three weeks so be careful to limit her access to other dogs. She will be very attractive to males at this time. I have seen male dogs jump fences to be with a female in heat, so keep an eye on her!

If you have more questions let me know.

thank you so much

Heterochromia in a cat. I recently got a cat as a rescue. She is white, with light grey and yellow... (11797 views)

Vomiting after eating. My cat will vomit after eating several times a week. She will also 'leak' or 'drip'... (24982 views)

Bump on dog's ear. Hi Dr. Marie My dog Syrous is 22 months old and is a Dogue de Bordeaux. 2... (63742 views)

Kidney problem or diabetes? Hi Dr Marie, Hicks is 17 years old now. Still moderately active. 2 years ago, she... (5448 views)

Cat pooping on floor. We have a male, neutered cat who is about 4 years old. He has been pooping on the... (11075 views)

Sudden death in a dog after swimming. My dog was swimming in the lake for 1-2 mins, she came out, then ran around suddenly... (12081 views)

Is this lump cancer? I noticed yesterday that my babe has a lump about the size of a kiwi on her bottom... (15557 views)

Did my cat suffer? Last Tuesday night one of our cats went outside. He never reappeared. My boyfriend... (15034 views)

Bruising after blood collection. I took my dog to get some shots earlier today and to get some tests done. They drew... (26449 views)

Is Tropiclean safe? Dear Dr. Marie: Hello! I am writing to ask about giving a water additive to my... (19410 views)