How often is a dog in heat?

Breed: Australian Shepherd
My dog started her first heat yesterday. I know not to breed her now she is not ready, my question is how long usely before they go into there 2nd heat?

Thanks for your question. Dogs generally go in to heat about every 6 months, but it can vary from dog to dog.

Little Bitt may be fertile for up to three weeks so be careful to limit her access to other dogs. She will be very attractive to males at this time. I have seen male dogs jump fences to be with a female in heat, so keep an eye on her!

If you have more questions let me know.

thank you so much

Cat pulling hair out of stomach. Dark has been pulling the hair out of his stomach for over a year. He now has a... (10607 views)

Sores on dog's leg. My dog recently got theses two sores on her back leg, one bigger than the other. Its... (9114 views)

Liver disease and diarrhea? Hi Dr. Marie My 11 y.o. Boston Andi (about 14 pounds) has been a healthy girl all... (5795 views)

Puppy ich on skin. why does my puppy have white ich on his skin?Is there any cure to it?Is there any... (14721 views)

Bumps around anus. Itchiness and swollen bumps "cauliflower" looking around her vagina and anus. She... (54686 views)

Dog eats my underwear. This is going to sound weird but this is a real question. My dog keeps licking mine... (38461 views)

Testosterone injection for cryptorchidism. I have a Mini French Poodle and he is about 1 year old and he only has one testicle... (7768 views)

Get rid of parvo virus. I have a general question about Parvo virus, Its a very very common virus I know,... (26494 views)

Puppy not gaining weight. my puppy is one month old and is not gaining any weight and is not active not eating... (9720 views)

Cat shaking and licking lips. My cat (11 months old) is a male cat, neutered, all shots, etc. He has always been... (22603 views)