How often is a dog in heat?

Breed: Australian Shepherd
My dog started her first heat yesterday. I know not to breed her now she is not ready, my question is how long usely before they go into there 2nd heat?

Thanks for your question. Dogs generally go in to heat about every 6 months, but it can vary from dog to dog.

Little Bitt may be fertile for up to three weeks so be careful to limit her access to other dogs. She will be very attractive to males at this time. I have seen male dogs jump fences to be with a female in heat, so keep an eye on her!

If you have more questions let me know.

thank you so much

Flaky skin. Samson has flakey skin that is most obvious on his back toward the tail and under... (17598 views)

Cat with sore penis. I have a neutered male cat 5 years old. 4 months ago he was really sick, we took him... (19793 views)

Swollen throat. over night my dogs thropat and cheeks have swallon really bad (looks like a hamster... (23357 views)

Revolution and fleas my dogs are treated with frontline and we brought home a kitten that was treated... (15958 views)

Alternative to fluid pills. What can be done about getting rid of fluid in my dog other than fluid pills?... (10177 views)

Exercise after a spay? Kallie got spayed last Tuesday (July 3). She still has her stitches. We have been... (7165 views)

Flea Allergy Hello Shelby has two to three spots that she has been licking and chewing on by... (12371 views)

I'm out of prednisone. Sammy has been on 2.5mg of prednisone per day for the past two years for... (16002 views)

Straining to urinate. bella acts like she has to urinate all the time. when she squats very little comes... (9197 views)

Small open wound on dog Our min pin lives out in country with us. We have enclosed 1/2 acre fenced area. She... (14253 views)