How often is a dog in heat?

Breed: Australian Shepherd
My dog started her first heat yesterday. I know not to breed her now she is not ready, my question is how long usely before they go into there 2nd heat?

Thanks for your question. Dogs generally go in to heat about every 6 months, but it can vary from dog to dog.

Little Bitt may be fertile for up to three weeks so be careful to limit her access to other dogs. She will be very attractive to males at this time. I have seen male dogs jump fences to be with a female in heat, so keep an eye on her!

If you have more questions let me know.

thank you so much

Large lump on dog's side. A lump (about the size of a quarter) showed up suddenly on his side, about an inch... (18053 views)

Black dots in dog's ear. We recently realised there are black sesame seed like black dots in one of my dog's... (9651 views)

Click in dog's elbow. Hi Dr. I've noticed that sometimes Max's right elbow will creak as he bends it.... (11232 views)

Dog with back problems. I know it's log winded, but I wanted to include all the information... (18177 views)

Magnesium level of food. I have two cats. Casper has urinary tract issues. He is currently on a .085%... (11810 views)

Skin lesions on dog's face. HI, my Chikita has been having some skin trouble and cant exactly figure out what it... (4731 views)

Cat with bald belly. Our cat (6 years old) has bitten off the hair on her stomach. Our vet (in Latvia)... (11036 views)

Older cat with vomiting and white nose. My cat is a 13y.o., outdoor (day) / indoor (night), mouser/birder, and has been a... (15788 views)

Ear cropping for boxers? should a boxers ear be cut off or let them grow? and my pets name is not any of your... (7732 views)

Green discharge post whelping. is it normal for my dog to have greenish pee and black clumps after she gave birth?... (19247 views)