How often is a dog in heat?

Breed: Australian Shepherd
My dog started her first heat yesterday. I know not to breed her now she is not ready, my question is how long usely before they go into there 2nd heat?

Thanks for your question. Dogs generally go in to heat about every 6 months, but it can vary from dog to dog.

Little Bitt may be fertile for up to three weeks so be careful to limit her access to other dogs. She will be very attractive to males at this time. I have seen male dogs jump fences to be with a female in heat, so keep an eye on her!

If you have more questions let me know.

thank you so much

Limping cat. We have an outside cat who is about 12 years old. Up until recently she has looked... (7832 views)

Contagious diarrhea? please bare with me as this is gonna be kind of long... about 2 weeks ago i had... (7018 views)

Wobbly after anesthesia. Hello Dr. Marie, I just have a few questions about Snova...he got shaved for the... (14170 views)

Robaxin and Metacam. Rocky has been having back pain for over a week now. He's had this problem before... (17537 views)

Possible diabetes My cat is very thirsty, he will run to the bathroom counter for a drink of water, he... (7760 views)

Does Dawn Dishsoap kill fleas? Hi, I recently bought cat shampoo, and through research found that it was... (21594 views)

Diarrhea and vomiting. My cat has had a problem with gassy diarrhea and vomiting over the past 3 weeks. My... (8852 views)

Painful dog. I apologize in advance for this being so long, but I want to give the history so you... (7901 views)

Green and black teeth. My Basenji is 14 years old, has green/black teeth in the back. He has started... (13290 views)

Older cat missing litter box. My 18 year old male cat is getting into the liter box and urinating on the floor... (15179 views)