Dog has bone cancer.

Breed: Schnauzer
My dog has been limping for some time now. His toe has been diagnosed with Bone Cancer-the vet had looked at this putting him on Steroids and anti inflammatories.

My question is how fast does this progress in a small dog? Is amputating his leg to stop this my only option?

thank you

Donya Hoefer

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Harley has cancer.

It is really hard to say how quickly this will progress without knowing what type of cancer it is. Did the vet give you a name for the cancer? Is it possibly osteosarcoma?

If a dog has osteosarcoma and there is no evidence of spread to other organs then amputating the leg often works well. Dogs tend to do very well with a leg amputated.

If you'd like to reply and give me more information about the type of cancer then I can get you some numbers on average lifespans of animals with this type of cancer.

Dog is bleeding. My 13 year old Min Pin has arthritis and is very, very weary. He recently started... (51987 views)

Laryngeal paralysis. Hi Dr. I have an 11 year old lab that has had breathing problems for some time now.... (17227 views)

Trouble urinating. For about a week I have noticed my aging male neutered dog having a hard time... (43229 views)

Bumps on bulldog. Dr. Marie, Rocky has been having a series of hives over the past few weeks, which... (14910 views)

Cat keeps getting sick. Hi, I have a 4 month old kitten. I found her when she was about two months. I took... (4683 views)

Bumps on belly and vomiting. MY NEO IS AROUND 2 MONTHS OLD,NOT YET VACCINATED. FOR SOME DAYS BOILS ARE... (6502 views)

Cat losing hair. I have 4 cats and they are all indoors. I realize that cats can get fleas even when... (65637 views)

Brain tumor or epilepsy? Hi Dr. Marie I have a yellow lab named Sam He experienced seizures twice... (9192 views)

Snapping noise in joints. Doctor, We have two labs (chocolate, and black). They love to run, fetch, play, and... (11708 views)

Puppy has had diarrhea 5 days. Oliver has had diarrhea on and off for about 5 days. He is acting normally... (65276 views)