Dog has bone cancer.

Breed: Schnauzer
My dog has been limping for some time now. His toe has been diagnosed with Bone Cancer-the vet had looked at this putting him on Steroids and anti inflammatories.

My question is how fast does this progress in a small dog? Is amputating his leg to stop this my only option?

thank you

Donya Hoefer

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Harley has cancer.

It is really hard to say how quickly this will progress without knowing what type of cancer it is. Did the vet give you a name for the cancer? Is it possibly osteosarcoma?

If a dog has osteosarcoma and there is no evidence of spread to other organs then amputating the leg often works well. Dogs tend to do very well with a leg amputated.

If you'd like to reply and give me more information about the type of cancer then I can get you some numbers on average lifespans of animals with this type of cancer.

Previous leg injury. Dear Dr Marie, Recently I've taken in a rescued Greyhound. I immediately noticed,... (14558 views)

Guinea Pig heat cycle. my female guinea pig has a swollen vulva which is very red. this happens once every... (31458 views)

Vomiting and bloody stool. We just took a trip, and on the last day away our dog began throwing up. We have... (14564 views)

Infected spay incision? Puppy got spayed about 12 days ago and her incision was healing really quickly. Now,... (71816 views)

Fleas on a newborn kitten. My cat just had kittens and they have fleas. What can I do to get rid of fleas on... (7467 views)

Cut on ear. Hi Dr. Marie, My dog was attacked by a collie two days ago. They were just... (34677 views)

Frequent urination in puppy. Dr. Marie, We have a brand new 7 week old bullmastiff female, named June...I have... (25531 views)

Diabetes and cushings. Doc, I need an objective viewpoint. My 14 yr 3mo old dog Buddy has been diagnosed 3... (22744 views)

Bald spots on dog I have 2 staffordshire bullterriers which are brothers 1 of them has lost a spot of... (14313 views)

Dental care for older dog. I have an older dog with bad teeth but no way to afford doggy dental. I was... (20223 views)