Dog has bone cancer.

Breed: Schnauzer
My dog has been limping for some time now. His toe has been diagnosed with Bone Cancer-the vet had looked at this putting him on Steroids and anti inflammatories.

My question is how fast does this progress in a small dog? Is amputating his leg to stop this my only option?

thank you

Donya Hoefer

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Harley has cancer.

It is really hard to say how quickly this will progress without knowing what type of cancer it is. Did the vet give you a name for the cancer? Is it possibly osteosarcoma?

If a dog has osteosarcoma and there is no evidence of spread to other organs then amputating the leg often works well. Dogs tend to do very well with a leg amputated.

If you'd like to reply and give me more information about the type of cancer then I can get you some numbers on average lifespans of animals with this type of cancer.

Zodiac safe? Is Zodiac Spot Treatment safe to use on my small dog and... (8259 views)

Vomiting Golden Retriever. We went up to Lake Tahoe for the weekend, both of our dogs receive home made food,... (11807 views)

Hamster has crusty eye. my hamster is 2 years old and a week ago i noticed his right eye has crusted over i... (7278 views)

Nosebleed, won't eat. We have an 11 yr old black lab. About 2 mos. ago we noticed blood dripping from her... (15369 views)

Possible asthma My 7 year old cat has always had frequent hairballs. I have always suspected he had... (11911 views)

Raw, sore nose. Hi there I have a 5 year old Malamute named Mika about a year ago she was attatcked... (7429 views)

Pumpkin for anal glands. My dog has anal gland troubles, the vet mentioned fiber treats, I was wondering for... (27818 views)

Older cat with vomiting and white nose. My cat is a 13y.o., outdoor (day) / indoor (night), mouser/birder, and has been a... (15134 views)

Take temperature orally? My dog is recovering from pretty serious surgery. I am supposed to be taking his... (27424 views)

Peeing in house on lasix. My dog has collapsed trachea and also an enlarged heart that was pressing on his... (12161 views)