Dog has bone cancer.

Breed: Schnauzer
My dog has been limping for some time now. His toe has been diagnosed with Bone Cancer-the vet had looked at this putting him on Steroids and anti inflammatories.

My question is how fast does this progress in a small dog? Is amputating his leg to stop this my only option?

thank you

Donya Hoefer

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Harley has cancer.

It is really hard to say how quickly this will progress without knowing what type of cancer it is. Did the vet give you a name for the cancer? Is it possibly osteosarcoma?

If a dog has osteosarcoma and there is no evidence of spread to other organs then amputating the leg often works well. Dogs tend to do very well with a leg amputated.

If you'd like to reply and give me more information about the type of cancer then I can get you some numbers on average lifespans of animals with this type of cancer.

Rapid wheezing in a cat. My family adopted a cat from the humane society almost a year ago. When we got her... (11397 views)

Vomiting foamy yellow stuff. My Yorki 8 Lb and was throwing up yellow foamy and almost puss like stuff 3 days ago... (18880 views)

Pregnant cat question. Back in March approx. around the 9th my cat Faith went into heat. During this time... (31829 views)

Cushings and cataracts. Our Little Jack Russell is 15 years old. He is blind from cataracts. And now the vet... (13708 views)

Hungry and losing weight. Our 17 year old indoor cat, one of two from the same litter, has always been skinny,... (12737 views)

Reusing thermometers I took my Lhasa Apso, Monroe, to Banfield at PetSmart today. He is having issues... (12038 views)

Sores on dog's leg. My dog recently got theses two sores on her back leg, one bigger than the other. Its... (9282 views)

dog with red eye Hello, I have a 2 year old male lab pit mix, fr a couple his left eye has been... (23671 views)

Does Hartz flea treatment work? My dogs have gotten fleas and I've been putting Hartz flea treatment on them but it... (16806 views)

Diaphragmatic hernia. Our 8-year-old neutered male cat has a history of various health issues:... (7220 views)