Dog has bone cancer.

Breed: Schnauzer
My dog has been limping for some time now. His toe has been diagnosed with Bone Cancer-the vet had looked at this putting him on Steroids and anti inflammatories.

My question is how fast does this progress in a small dog? Is amputating his leg to stop this my only option?

thank you

Donya Hoefer

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Harley has cancer.

It is really hard to say how quickly this will progress without knowing what type of cancer it is. Did the vet give you a name for the cancer? Is it possibly osteosarcoma?

If a dog has osteosarcoma and there is no evidence of spread to other organs then amputating the leg often works well. Dogs tend to do very well with a leg amputated.

If you'd like to reply and give me more information about the type of cancer then I can get you some numbers on average lifespans of animals with this type of cancer.

Large blister on ear. MY DOG HAS WHAT LOOKS AND FEELS LIKE A LARGE WATER BLISTER ON HIS EAR WHAT COULD IT... (15190 views)

Rabbit not moving. this morning she was fine, now she is laying lifeless, her belly is flat like she... (4842 views)

Popcorn in dog's stool? My dog had something that looked like a popped popcorn kernel at the end of his... (9406 views)

Strange cat behavior. I've looked a bit online and have not quite found everything my cat is doing. I have... (37827 views)

Missing hamster teeth. My hamster completely lost her bottom teeth and i dont know what to do. i searched... (12136 views)

Sardine treats for my cat. Is this recipe for cat treats safe for my cat? 3/4 cup dry, whole wheat bread... (6025 views)

Pregnant if bred when bleeding? I have a golden retriever that's about to be 3years old. She recently mated with... (61461 views)

Lump on hamster Hi, Recenly my dwarf hamster has developed a pink lump with white spots under its... (18179 views)

Dog died at the vet's A couple weeks ago I noticed our dog Gauge was straining to urinate but couldnt. I... (6747 views)

Diarrhea and vomiting. My cat has had a problem with gassy diarrhea and vomiting over the past 3 weeks. My... (7400 views)