Dog has bone cancer.

Breed: Schnauzer
My dog has been limping for some time now. His toe has been diagnosed with Bone Cancer-the vet had looked at this putting him on Steroids and anti inflammatories.

My question is how fast does this progress in a small dog? Is amputating his leg to stop this my only option?

thank you

Donya Hoefer

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Harley has cancer.

It is really hard to say how quickly this will progress without knowing what type of cancer it is. Did the vet give you a name for the cancer? Is it possibly osteosarcoma?

If a dog has osteosarcoma and there is no evidence of spread to other organs then amputating the leg often works well. Dogs tend to do very well with a leg amputated.

If you'd like to reply and give me more information about the type of cancer then I can get you some numbers on average lifespans of animals with this type of cancer.

PPA safety for dogs. Hi, Dr. Marie: I am writing a follow-up question from a few weeks ago regarding... (13447 views)

Is it ok to shave a cat? Dear Dr. Marie, Greetings from Singapore! This is my 4th time writing to... (11043 views)

First heat cycle in dogs. when do chiuahuahs have their first heat... (8500 views)

Liver shunt surgery. Recently I found out that the kitten I adopted a few months ago has a Portosystemic... (7880 views)

Cat having trouble urinating. I have a cat, a very lively talkative cat, who is displaying health problems. She... (6854 views)

Kittens with diarrhea We have kept the 5 kittens born to our momma cat. [they will be "fixed" when it is... (10231 views)

Lip fold pyoderma. I have suddenly noticed that Blue has an area of bright red, raw skin on both sides... (11221 views)

Dog hurt her leg. hi my dog trixey is nearly 15.i think she may have hurt her leg because she can't... (6136 views)

Sheltie is afraid of people. I have a one year old female Sheltie. she is very nervous around people. She was... (13988 views)

Does my dog have a gait problem? Hi Dr. I'm hoping this is a trivial question. As the email pic shows, the... (17234 views)