Lifespan of a rat?

Breed: Rat
What is the average lifespan of a rat? My rat is 3 years old and very healthy. Is he likely to live for a lot longer?

Jon

Need help finding a veterinarian in your area? Click here for Dr. Marie's advice on
finding a good veterinarian near you.

Hi Jon,

The average lifespan of a rat is 2-3 years. I have seen rats live longer than that, but not too many.

I hope your little guy is around for a long time still!

QUIZ: Is your cat secretly planning to murder you?

Have you tried the Purr Pillow? This is one of Dr. Marie's top recommended pet products for 2016.

Meibomian gland adenoma. Tessa has a little black growth on her eyelid. My vet has said it's a tumor and... (9239 views)

Dog leaking urine when sleeping. My dog is leaking urine when she is sleeping. She pees on the bed or on the couch. ... (90779 views)

lump on ear In the last couple weeks a bump on the tip of my dogs ear has shown up. We have been... (6561 views)

Dog having seizures. Hi Dr. Marie, My regular vet left to go on holiday today and after calling the... (8032 views)

Unexplained liver problems. Dr. Marie, I have a now 14 year old yorkie with some complex medical issues and... (3576 views)

Diarrhea with blood Hi Dr. Marie. My dog has had diarrhea for a couple of days. He still seems to be... (10169 views)

Wobbly boxer My 3 year old male boxer has several issues. A couple weeks ago he was lethargic... (12434 views)

Arthritis medicine I have a 10 month old Pomeranian who appears to have hip problems. I am very low... (5108 views)

Proin for incontinence. Our lab is 4 years old and has had a urinary problem since birth. When he sleeps or... (7136 views)

Dog died suddenly even after glucose. my dog died suddenly...... it vomited three time .........then she was not able to... (7844 views)