Lifespan of a rat?

Breed: Rat
What is the average lifespan of a rat? My rat is 3 years old and very healthy. Is he likely to live for a lot longer?

Jon

Hi Jon,

The average lifespan of a rat is 2-3 years. I have seen rats live longer than that, but not too many.

I hope your little guy is around for a long time still!

Herpes and sore mouth. My 2 year old short hair tabby was diagnosed with FHV quite early on.. he's been... (9555 views)

Cat fell off balcony. i was gone out of town for a couple of days and i live in the first floor up, i... (14025 views)

Toxic to pets? I am going green and looking for a floor cleaning solution that is dog safe. I was... (2973 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. Is my dog dying? My dog vomitted yesterday, then she had a very loose stool in my kitchen. She never... (22735 views)

How much water should a puppy drink? Dr Marie, This is more a precautionary question. Max is 4.5 months old, 37... (69752 views)

Renal lymphoma? my cat just had dental surgery. After about a week I noticed she was still listless... (17861 views)

Rottweiler can't stand. Hello, We have a 13 year old Rott who was diagnosed with arthritis of the spine. ... (19949 views)

Bloated abdomen my dog has been severly bloated for five weeks, at first i thought he had just got... (9318 views)

Tumor on a guinea pig. Hi Marie, My daughter's 14 month old guinea pig has a tumor with a thick, scaly... (8426 views)

What foods to give cats? Yesterday I adopted two male cats. I am unsure what to feed them. Their foster mum... (5399 views)