Why did my cat die?

Breed:

The other day, our cat Misty (she would have been 16-years-old next month) vomited on the floor. It looked different than normal - it was more liquid and yellow. After that, she laid down right there and since then, she hadn't been able to move on her own. Her left back leg didn't even twitch the slightest bit the days following that. When she tried to walk on her own, she was extremely slow and that leg would just drag on the floor uselessly. She stopped eating and drinking, and she didn't even go to the bathroom. We put her in the litter box, but all she would do was slump in there and lay down. We left her there for 10-15 minutes, and when we checked on her, she still hadn't done anything. We gave her food and water, but she wouldn't even touch it. Her nose got this yellowish tinge to it, and her mouth became darker (not pink - it had a more blackish look to it). Her eyes became distant and foggy with an almost glazed-over look to them. We would pet her and she would purr a little - though nothing close to what she used to do. As soon as we stopped petting her, she would meow and continue to do so until we pet her again.

Last night, our beloved kitty passed away. Today, her nose began pouring out a little blood (we were unable to bury her yet, seeing as we hadn't been able to purchase something for her body until the next day). All I wish to know is what this sounds like. What was the cause of her death? Was it simply old age? Perhaps it was something to do with liver failure?

Please help get me and my family some closure as to the cause of our cats death.

Thank you so much.

I'm very sorry to hear that Misty has passed away.

The yellow tinge to her nose tells us that there was either a liver problem or a problem with her body destroying red blood cells. There are a number of things that can cause liver or blood cell problems in older cats, but at her age the most likely would be cancer.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

How much water should a puppy drink? Dr Marie, This is more a precautionary question. Max is 4.5 months old, 37... (87012 views)

Infection after cherry eye surgery? Chewy had successful cherry eye surgery about 3 months ago. Vet has closed. I... (15399 views)

Boxer with kennel cough. I adopted Shelby from a shelter. She has the kennel cough and I am treating her with... (15633 views)

German Shepherd not eating. I have a 13 year old female german shepherd. She is currently taking Proin and... (14597 views)

Is Tropiclean safe? Dear Dr. Marie: Hello! I am writing to ask about giving a water additive to my... (19797 views)

Dog ate soap. My dog just ate a whole bar of soap? Do I need to be worried? It was Dove soap. ... (170302 views)

Shedding because of diet? My cat lives indoors, and he's got a shedding problem. I was wondering if he is... (10115 views)

Golden with itchy abdomen. Hello My dog Henri has been constantly licking and chewing his underside inside... (33955 views)

Polysporin on cats? My cat is 21 years old. I HAVE had her to the vet 3 times now with open sores on... (65013 views)

Pit bull with rash. My dog has a bumpy red rash on her inner hip area,around her tail and her private... (8550 views)