Why did my cat die?

Breed:

The other day, our cat Misty (she would have been 16-years-old next month) vomited on the floor. It looked different than normal - it was more liquid and yellow. After that, she laid down right there and since then, she hadn't been able to move on her own. Her left back leg didn't even twitch the slightest bit the days following that. When she tried to walk on her own, she was extremely slow and that leg would just drag on the floor uselessly. She stopped eating and drinking, and she didn't even go to the bathroom. We put her in the litter box, but all she would do was slump in there and lay down. We left her there for 10-15 minutes, and when we checked on her, she still hadn't done anything. We gave her food and water, but she wouldn't even touch it. Her nose got this yellowish tinge to it, and her mouth became darker (not pink - it had a more blackish look to it). Her eyes became distant and foggy with an almost glazed-over look to them. We would pet her and she would purr a little - though nothing close to what she used to do. As soon as we stopped petting her, she would meow and continue to do so until we pet her again.

Last night, our beloved kitty passed away. Today, her nose began pouring out a little blood (we were unable to bury her yet, seeing as we hadn't been able to purchase something for her body until the next day). All I wish to know is what this sounds like. What was the cause of her death? Was it simply old age? Perhaps it was something to do with liver failure?

Please help get me and my family some closure as to the cause of our cats death.

Thank you so much.

I'm very sorry to hear that Misty has passed away.

The yellow tinge to her nose tells us that there was either a liver problem or a problem with her body destroying red blood cells. There are a number of things that can cause liver or blood cell problems in older cats, but at her age the most likely would be cancer.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Wart on dog's foot. Last Friday I was walking my dog and he suddenly pulled up his front right paw and... (24691 views)

Swollen ankle. On 4/10/12 our dog was running down the hallway as usual and slipped as usual cause... (4491 views)

Boxer with kennel cough. I adopted Shelby from a shelter. She has the kennel cough and I am treating her with... (14843 views)

Dog leaps to her feet. Why does my 12 year old lame Siberian Husky suddenly leap to her feet and walk off.... (7524 views)

Carnassial tooth slab fracture. Hello Dr. Marie! Thanks for offering this service! My 3 year old dog has... (10189 views)

Vomiting diabetic cat. Hello Dr. We have a 17yr old male diabetic cat who throws up a nasty brown liquid... (31752 views)

Bathed dog in gasoline. my dog's losing a lot of hair and her skin shows discoloration.when i was away for... (16493 views)

Pelvis fracture. Dear Dr Marie, My dog currently has a broken pelvis that is not mending. It... (17237 views)

Nosebleed, won't eat. We have an 11 yr old black lab. About 2 mos. ago we noticed blood dripping from her... (16774 views)

Red lump between dog's toes. Hello I noticed that Sam has a big red swellen bump between second and third... (88121 views)