Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Why did my cat die?

Species: Cat
Breed:
Age: More than 15 ye
Hello,

The other day, our cat Misty (she would have been 16-years-old next month) vomited on the floor. It looked different than normal - it was more liquid and yellow. After that, she laid down right there and since then, she hadn't been able to move on her own. Her left back leg didn't even twitch the slightest bit the days following that. When she tried to walk on her own, she was extremely slow and that leg would just drag on the floor uselessly. She stopped eating and drinking, and she didn't even go to the bathroom. We put her in the litter box, but all she would do was slump in there and lay down. We left her there for 10-15 minutes, and when we checked on her, she still hadn't done anything. We gave her food and water, but she wouldn't even touch it. Her nose got this yellowish tinge to it, and her mouth became darker (not pink - it had a more blackish look to it). Her eyes became distant and foggy with an almost glazed-over look to them. We would pet her and she would purr a little - though nothing close to what she used to do. As soon as we stopped petting her, she would meow and continue to do so until we pet her again.

Last night, our beloved kitty passed away. Today, her nose began pouring out a little blood (we were unable to bury her yet, seeing as we hadn't been able to purchase something for her body until the next day). All I wish to know is what this sounds like. What was the cause of her death? Was it simply old age? Perhaps it was something to do with liver failure?

Please help get me and my family some closure as to the cause of our cats death.

Thank you so much.


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

I'm very sorry to hear that Misty has passed away.

The yellow tinge to her nose tells us that there was either a liver problem or a problem with her body destroying red blood cells. There are a number of things that can cause liver or blood cell problems in older cats, but at her age the most likely would be cancer.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Dr. Marie.

---This question was asked in our Ask A Vet For Free section.---


Do you have a pet website? Interested in learning more about SEO for Wix?


Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Grief after dog passed away. I recently lost my 13 year old German Shepherd mix. She is my first dog. My... (8572 views)

Meibomian gland adenoma? This past week Murphy (4 year old Irish Setter) developed what I thought was a small... (246000 views)

Vaccinate for parvo before 6 weeks? We have a litter of labrador puppies. They are 5 and 1/2 weeks old. Can we... (11056 views)

Abdominal mass in a cat. My husband and I put down our Ivy today. It was rather sudden and unexpected and... (49977 views)

Arthritis medicines for cats. Please tell me what you use for daily dose meloxicam for 12 pound 15 yr old cat.... (8468 views)

Chattering jaw. my 2yr old lhasa apso could just be sitting and his jaw starts to shake non-stop for... (11203 views)

Bobcat with lump. Hi,I was wondering about my bobcat mix... He is 3 mo old ..we found him when he was... (9802 views)

Dog jealous over owner. My female dog is 2 years old. She's a black lab. She had puppies and my boyfriend... (23264 views)

Constipation or megacolon? We having been treating sassy for constipation issues for almost 3 yrs with 1.5... (6340 views)

Dog doesn't drink much and burps. We recently adopted our boxer mix from a vet and she appears to be in very good... (23409 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.