Why did my cat die?

Breed:

The other day, our cat Misty (she would have been 16-years-old next month) vomited on the floor. It looked different than normal - it was more liquid and yellow. After that, she laid down right there and since then, she hadn't been able to move on her own. Her left back leg didn't even twitch the slightest bit the days following that. When she tried to walk on her own, she was extremely slow and that leg would just drag on the floor uselessly. She stopped eating and drinking, and she didn't even go to the bathroom. We put her in the litter box, but all she would do was slump in there and lay down. We left her there for 10-15 minutes, and when we checked on her, she still hadn't done anything. We gave her food and water, but she wouldn't even touch it. Her nose got this yellowish tinge to it, and her mouth became darker (not pink - it had a more blackish look to it). Her eyes became distant and foggy with an almost glazed-over look to them. We would pet her and she would purr a little - though nothing close to what she used to do. As soon as we stopped petting her, she would meow and continue to do so until we pet her again.

Last night, our beloved kitty passed away. Today, her nose began pouring out a little blood (we were unable to bury her yet, seeing as we hadn't been able to purchase something for her body until the next day). All I wish to know is what this sounds like. What was the cause of her death? Was it simply old age? Perhaps it was something to do with liver failure?

Please help get me and my family some closure as to the cause of our cats death.

Thank you so much.

I'm very sorry to hear that Misty has passed away.

The yellow tinge to her nose tells us that there was either a liver problem or a problem with her body destroying red blood cells. There are a number of things that can cause liver or blood cell problems in older cats, but at her age the most likely would be cancer.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Swollen carpal pad. Dear Dr. Marie: About 5 weeks ago, my wife and I noticed that the carpal pad on our... (29014 views)

Drinking and urinating more. my dog is drinking so much water lately.and she is also leaving large wet spots on... (7159 views)

Daschund with sore neck. My dog was perfectly fine leading up to and on the day he received his vaccines. He... (8003 views)

Bleeding anal glands. My dog has been having blood drip from his rear. My vet has expressed his anal... (9728 views)

Blood in stool. hi lucky just went poop outside and he did liquidy bright red blood iam not sure... (45710 views)

Fluid in chest? My dog has been having this weird breathing issue where whenever he lays down it... (12913 views)

Sore neck Hi Dr. Marie, You've been helpful in the past, so I thought I'd ask you another... (4771 views)

Kitten nursing on my neck. why does my 8 to 10 month old kitty keep trying to suckle at my neck. He will not... (15033 views)

Puppy vomiting with blood. my puppy was born on december 18, she was born a normal pup but now she and her... (8565 views)

Rat with facial swelling. My rat has developed swelling on the left side of her face. Her entire cheek has... (20262 views)