Why did my cat die?

Breed:

The other day, our cat Misty (she would have been 16-years-old next month) vomited on the floor. It looked different than normal - it was more liquid and yellow. After that, she laid down right there and since then, she hadn't been able to move on her own. Her left back leg didn't even twitch the slightest bit the days following that. When she tried to walk on her own, she was extremely slow and that leg would just drag on the floor uselessly. She stopped eating and drinking, and she didn't even go to the bathroom. We put her in the litter box, but all she would do was slump in there and lay down. We left her there for 10-15 minutes, and when we checked on her, she still hadn't done anything. We gave her food and water, but she wouldn't even touch it. Her nose got this yellowish tinge to it, and her mouth became darker (not pink - it had a more blackish look to it). Her eyes became distant and foggy with an almost glazed-over look to them. We would pet her and she would purr a little - though nothing close to what she used to do. As soon as we stopped petting her, she would meow and continue to do so until we pet her again.

Last night, our beloved kitty passed away. Today, her nose began pouring out a little blood (we were unable to bury her yet, seeing as we hadn't been able to purchase something for her body until the next day). All I wish to know is what this sounds like. What was the cause of her death? Was it simply old age? Perhaps it was something to do with liver failure?

Please help get me and my family some closure as to the cause of our cats death.

Thank you so much.

I'm very sorry to hear that Misty has passed away.

The yellow tinge to her nose tells us that there was either a liver problem or a problem with her body destroying red blood cells. There are a number of things that can cause liver or blood cell problems in older cats, but at her age the most likely would be cancer.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Dog has wound under arm. I was wondering how I would go about dressing an area on my dog under her arm? It... (9284 views)

Dog ate twigs and stuffing. Dr Marie, On Tuesday, unfortunately I had to fire the pet sitter due to... (15942 views)

Bloody diarrhea. Hi Marie its 630 and there is no open vet or petstore/grooming in site =( then i... (48970 views)

Swollen gums in dog. in end june of 2009 , gingivitus like symptoms appeared in my dog . the vet did... (19640 views)

Biopsy? Dr, As you know Max has been having issues with vomiting and soft stools. 9... (8261 views)

Surgery needed for cruciate tear? Hello again Dr. Marie, you seem like a compassionate and caring person, so I would... (4592 views)

D-Con mice bait ingested. 75 to 80 lb dog ingested D-con mice bait, eliminated it all in bowel movement,... (18496 views)

Tail tip injury. our dog is golden retriever 5 years old, he had happy tail and somehow cut the tip... (7250 views)

Arthritis medicines for cats. Please tell me what you use for daily dose meloxicam for 12 pound 15 yr old cat.... (6916 views)

Guinea Pig in Heat? Dear Dr. Marie, I have a guinea pig named Charlie, and my friend also has a... (29478 views)