Possible silent heat.

Breed: great dane
She went into heat last year in August for the first time. She has not gone into heat since then. I was under the impression it was every 6 months or so, and I'm sure dogs vary, but 9 months seems long. Should we take her in?

Hi and thanks for your interesting question.

While most dogs have a 6 month interval between heat cycles, not all of them do. Some dogs can definitely go 8 or 10 months. So, my first thought is that you will see a heat within the next month or so.

It's also possible that she had something called a silent heat. Some dogs can have a heat cycle where they don't show any outward signs. These dogs have no swelling or discharge. However, if there is an unneutered male dog around they will still be really interested in her if she is in a silent heat.

I wouldn't be too worried at this point. If she goes another few months without a heat, it's worthwhile to have your vet do a good exam on her and some bloodwork. But, I would be very surprised if there was anything wrong with her.

Maltese has bald spot on head. We have a two year old Maltese that had a small bald spot on her head when we got... (15917 views)

Feral cat with eye infection. We have a feral cat that was born in our yard 5 years ago. When he was a kitten he... (33923 views)

Foot got caught in door. As my 10 lb chiwawa was going back in the house this morning and I was opening the... (26557 views)

Hamster cough. Do hamsters have to have a special treatment when they have got a... (13223 views)

Bloated abdomen in hamster. Hi....our pet hamster buddy is extremely bloated. We have had him for a year and a... (106211 views)

what kind of dog to get Hi Please help! I want to get my Golden Retriever (male) a friend, but not... (8497 views)

14 year old dog with diarrhea and weight loss I have 14 year old pomeranian. for the past 1 month, he is suffering from diarrhoea,... (20106 views)

Pitbull with rash Mister has been treated all his life for a skin rash he has. Before this year he... (13171 views)

Wart on dog's paw. Hello Dr Marie, I'm hoping you can help me identify a lump that I have found on... (32608 views)

Vulva dermatitis. Good Morning Doctor: My 6 year old Golden(Honey) has an infection around her female... (29358 views)