Possible silent heat.

Breed: great dane
She went into heat last year in August for the first time. She has not gone into heat since then. I was under the impression it was every 6 months or so, and I'm sure dogs vary, but 9 months seems long. Should we take her in?

Hi and thanks for your interesting question.

While most dogs have a 6 month interval between heat cycles, not all of them do. Some dogs can definitely go 8 or 10 months. So, my first thought is that you will see a heat within the next month or so.

It's also possible that she had something called a silent heat. Some dogs can have a heat cycle where they don't show any outward signs. These dogs have no swelling or discharge. However, if there is an unneutered male dog around they will still be really interested in her if she is in a silent heat.

I wouldn't be too worried at this point. If she goes another few months without a heat, it's worthwhile to have your vet do a good exam on her and some bloodwork. But, I would be very surprised if there was anything wrong with her.

PU surgery on a cat? Hi Dr. Marie , I hope you can help me with my cat, Jack. He is 1 ½ years old and... (9294 views)

Licking his penis. my indoor cat is constantly going to his litter box about every 10 mins or so and... (10221 views)

Why did my kitten die? I came home last night to find my kitten laying dead in her kennel. We rescued her... (11632 views)

Dog bleeding from anus. My dog is slightly bleeding from her anus, but it isn't noticeable until she sits... (30294 views)

Famotidine for kidney disease. Coco had an ultrasound scan yesterday to confirm she has bilateral kidney cancer.... (11055 views)

Possible cherry eye? My dog has red bags coming up from under his lower eye lids and covering half his... (7017 views)

Is my cat diabetic? Ollie is consuming lots of water, and peeing a lot. There has been a marked increase... (5541 views)

Cat pooping in the house. Princess has recently started pooping around the house (about 2 months). I have had... (22558 views)

1 week old puppy checkup can you take a 1 week old puppy to the vet to get it checked to make sure its ok and... (7531 views)

Peeing in the house. I would like a REAL solution to this, without the standard answers or suggestions(... (8271 views)