Possible silent heat.

Breed: great dane
She went into heat last year in August for the first time. She has not gone into heat since then. I was under the impression it was every 6 months or so, and I'm sure dogs vary, but 9 months seems long. Should we take her in?

Hi and thanks for your interesting question.

While most dogs have a 6 month interval between heat cycles, not all of them do. Some dogs can definitely go 8 or 10 months. So, my first thought is that you will see a heat within the next month or so.

It's also possible that she had something called a silent heat. Some dogs can have a heat cycle where they don't show any outward signs. These dogs have no swelling or discharge. However, if there is an unneutered male dog around they will still be really interested in her if she is in a silent heat.

I wouldn't be too worried at this point. If she goes another few months without a heat, it's worthwhile to have your vet do a good exam on her and some bloodwork. But, I would be very surprised if there was anything wrong with her.

Carrots and nuts safe for dogs? Is it safe to feed her carrots or nuts of any kind? We have just been feeding them... (13532 views)

Bad smell on dog. Our doxie gets the worst smell coming from her vagina area. Whatever she sits on,... (110059 views)

Lump on cat's abdomen. My cat has a round, hard spot in her stomach. It has a red dot in the center It... (16840 views)

Allergic reaction. Harley is having the following symptoms. Shaking head regularly licking... (5628 views)

Diarrhea after having puppies. is it nomal for a dog to have the runs after giving birth to 11 puppies a week... (26439 views)

Deaf and pooping in house. My cat is now about 15 years old and is in relatively good condition apart from the... (11410 views)

Dog is shaking I can't afford to bring my dog to the vet. I would like to know my dog has a lack of... (87030 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. I have a 4mo old kitten who has had diarrhea 2 days and threw up last night. No... (6681 views)

Kitten had eye removed. My cat went blind in her good eye following removal of a bad eye in which she was... (7261 views)

Possible laryngeal Parlysis Rex is having breathing difficulties for the last few days primarily while eating or... (9102 views)