Possible silent heat.

Breed: great dane
She went into heat last year in August for the first time. She has not gone into heat since then. I was under the impression it was every 6 months or so, and I'm sure dogs vary, but 9 months seems long. Should we take her in?

Hi and thanks for your interesting question.

While most dogs have a 6 month interval between heat cycles, not all of them do. Some dogs can definitely go 8 or 10 months. So, my first thought is that you will see a heat within the next month or so.

It's also possible that she had something called a silent heat. Some dogs can have a heat cycle where they don't show any outward signs. These dogs have no swelling or discharge. However, if there is an unneutered male dog around they will still be really interested in her if she is in a silent heat.

I wouldn't be too worried at this point. If she goes another few months without a heat, it's worthwhile to have your vet do a good exam on her and some bloodwork. But, I would be very surprised if there was anything wrong with her.

Cerenia and FIP. Holly was diagnosed with the Corona Virus when she was only a few months old. It... (7632 views)

Gabapentin and Metacam My 19 year old cat, Lily, has chronic arthritis pain. We have tried Cosequin and it... (10389 views)

Should we put down out cat? Good evening. My 15 year old tabby seems to be in rough shape. He is still... (5041 views)

Introducing kittens. hi, i have a 5 month old kitten, and have introduced an 8 week old kitten to the... (8168 views)

Is Raid toxic to cats? My fiance lives in Florida and sprays Raid insecticide to kill bugs. In a few months... (98292 views)

Addison's disease? I've seen a few questions where people ask about what could have happened to their... (54074 views)

Lance abscess? My dog was was in a fight with my roomates dog. He healed up and was himself a few... (11292 views)

Meowing all the time? pain? Hi Dr. Marie Our cat has a virus infection and is on medication, and an eye drops.... (7247 views)

Stretching out back legs. My dog keeps strecting out her back legs and dragging herself... (137101 views)

Anal sac abscess. my dogs butt is very pouched out and red and leaking pus what can i do for my little... (12306 views)