Possible silent heat.

Breed: great dane
She went into heat last year in August for the first time. She has not gone into heat since then. I was under the impression it was every 6 months or so, and I'm sure dogs vary, but 9 months seems long. Should we take her in?

Hi and thanks for your interesting question.

While most dogs have a 6 month interval between heat cycles, not all of them do. Some dogs can definitely go 8 or 10 months. So, my first thought is that you will see a heat within the next month or so.

It's also possible that she had something called a silent heat. Some dogs can have a heat cycle where they don't show any outward signs. These dogs have no swelling or discharge. However, if there is an unneutered male dog around they will still be really interested in her if she is in a silent heat.

I wouldn't be too worried at this point. If she goes another few months without a heat, it's worthwhile to have your vet do a good exam on her and some bloodwork. But, I would be very surprised if there was anything wrong with her.

Balding on legs and belly. My cat is bald on the back of her legs and losing hair on her belly as... (13229 views)

ECG for heart murmur? Hi, We have an 8 year old european shorthair cat who was recently diagnosed as... (10968 views)

Should I spay my dog? Hello, I have an 8-year old Maltese which is not spayed. It was something we... (13982 views)

Cat eating less than normal. My cat Noir hasn't been feeling well for about 5 days now. He is a 3 year old,... (84326 views)

Can a feral cat be tamed? Dr. Marie - a few months ago I came across a feral cat who is now named Gypsy. I... (9048 views)

Getting a second guinea pig. So I have a male guinea pig and one of my friends can't keep hers so she is gonna... (9756 views)

Diaphragmatic hernia. Our 8-year-old neutered male cat has a history of various health issues:... (7881 views)

3 week old kitten with diarrhea. i have a kitten that is 3 weeks old and she has diarrhea and also i wanted to know... (14848 views)

Cat with renal lymphoma. I have a 7 year old female cat who, over the course of the past six months,... (10908 views)

Needs anal glands done again. I just took Chloe to the vet last weekend because she was skooting and her vet... (9134 views)