Possible laryngeal Parlysis

Breed: Labrador retreiver
Rex is having breathing difficulties for the last few days primarily while eating or taking a drink. He seems to be struggling to catch his breath and I have noticed that while having one of these episodes his mouth/tongue seems gray/blue in colour. My mother gave him some food/drink the other night and while eating this he lay down and passed out for a few moments and his breathing was very raspy while he was out. I wasn't at home when this happened but she called me and I could hear him down the phone. He came round again after a few mins and was fine. I was wondering if you could shed any light on what might be wrong with him. About 2 years ago, a growth was discovered on his prostate but I was told at the time that it was benign. I was wondering if this may have spread and be causing him problems now. I definitely think it has grown in size. At the time I was told to leave it alone as it wasn't bothering him.

It would be great if you could let me know your thoughts.

Many thanks

Oh I am sorry to hear that Rex is having these problems.

Any time I see an older lab who is having breathing issues I wonder about a condition called laryngeal paralysis. This is a condition that happens when the parts of the larynx don't move properly when the dog breathes.

Some dogs with this condition can be fixed with surgery. But, unfortunately for many dogs it just continues to get worse and worse.

The way that we diagnose laryngeal paralysis is by administering a very light anesthetic and watching the larynx to see if both sides move properly.

There are other possibilities such as hear disease or certain types of cancer, but these are much less likely than laryngeal paralysis.

Severe arthritis. Hi Dr. Marie, My sweet Murphys is displaying weakness in hind legs, (they... (6707 views)

Pancreatic enzymes. How do we handle a situation when we unexpectely temporaryly are without the... (8291 views)

Dog chewing feet. I was told that if your irishwolfhound chew his back paws this means a heart... (10346 views)

Vomiting pregnant cat. hello dr.vet my cat was with a male 2 weeks ago yesterday she started to vomit 5... (6289 views)

Cortisone vs. anti-inflammatory. What is more harmful to the liver, anti-inflammatory medication or Cortisone... (7991 views)

Dog urinating in house. hey my 5 year old staff has started urinating in the house she has never done this... (9989 views)

Dog pees in the house. Woody has been peeing when I have gone to work in the bedroom. I take him out... (8330 views)

Dog's eye is closed. Hello, My dog was playing with his toy and shaking it around and when he was... (32451 views)

Dog vomiting and limping. as of this morning, Izzy threw up twice, within about 30 seconds, and then stopped.... (68940 views)

Very sick kitty. just found you, wish we had found you earlier. maybe kitty will still be with us... (5216 views)