Possible laryngeal Parlysis

Breed: Labrador retreiver
Rex is having breathing difficulties for the last few days primarily while eating or taking a drink. He seems to be struggling to catch his breath and I have noticed that while having one of these episodes his mouth/tongue seems gray/blue in colour. My mother gave him some food/drink the other night and while eating this he lay down and passed out for a few moments and his breathing was very raspy while he was out. I wasn't at home when this happened but she called me and I could hear him down the phone. He came round again after a few mins and was fine. I was wondering if you could shed any light on what might be wrong with him. About 2 years ago, a growth was discovered on his prostate but I was told at the time that it was benign. I was wondering if this may have spread and be causing him problems now. I definitely think it has grown in size. At the time I was told to leave it alone as it wasn't bothering him.

It would be great if you could let me know your thoughts.

Many thanks

Oh I am sorry to hear that Rex is having these problems.

Any time I see an older lab who is having breathing issues I wonder about a condition called laryngeal paralysis. This is a condition that happens when the parts of the larynx don't move properly when the dog breathes.

Some dogs with this condition can be fixed with surgery. But, unfortunately for many dogs it just continues to get worse and worse.

The way that we diagnose laryngeal paralysis is by administering a very light anesthetic and watching the larynx to see if both sides move properly.

There are other possibilities such as hear disease or certain types of cancer, but these are much less likely than laryngeal paralysis.

Dog with allergies. Dr, I'm afraid Max's allergies are getting the better of him. Symptom... (9390 views)

Tug of war caused hernia? Can playing tug of war with a male dog cause a... (7521 views)

Straining to urinate. I have an 8 year old yellow lab named Chloie. She was diagnosed with hypothyroidism... (6822 views)

Are tomatoes bad for cats? Hi, My ragdoll cat loves cherry tomatoes! - he goes mad crazy for the but I am... (42668 views)

Is spinach good for dogs? Is spinach toxic for... (155035 views)

older cat with itchy ears. Dear Dr Marie: For the last 3-4 weeks Emily has had itchy ears. She scratches... (13538 views)

Did convenia cause death? Dear Dr. Marie, My beloved pet has died just seven days after receiving a shot of... (16338 views)

Trouble walking. On Wednesday evening we called our dogs for dinnertime, and our 10 year old Alaskan... (21828 views)

Cat is hungry and has swollen tummy. Our cat seems to be hungry all the time, she is spayed, but we have just moved... (30836 views)

Urinating outside of box. Hi there, I have two cats, a male (Duke, long haired tabby) and female (Bella,... (10964 views)