Possible laryngeal Parlysis

Breed: Labrador retreiver
Rex is having breathing difficulties for the last few days primarily while eating or taking a drink. He seems to be struggling to catch his breath and I have noticed that while having one of these episodes his mouth/tongue seems gray/blue in colour. My mother gave him some food/drink the other night and while eating this he lay down and passed out for a few moments and his breathing was very raspy while he was out. I wasn't at home when this happened but she called me and I could hear him down the phone. He came round again after a few mins and was fine. I was wondering if you could shed any light on what might be wrong with him. About 2 years ago, a growth was discovered on his prostate but I was told at the time that it was benign. I was wondering if this may have spread and be causing him problems now. I definitely think it has grown in size. At the time I was told to leave it alone as it wasn't bothering him.

It would be great if you could let me know your thoughts.

Many thanks

Oh I am sorry to hear that Rex is having these problems.

Any time I see an older lab who is having breathing issues I wonder about a condition called laryngeal paralysis. This is a condition that happens when the parts of the larynx don't move properly when the dog breathes.

Some dogs with this condition can be fixed with surgery. But, unfortunately for many dogs it just continues to get worse and worse.

The way that we diagnose laryngeal paralysis is by administering a very light anesthetic and watching the larynx to see if both sides move properly.

There are other possibilities such as hear disease or certain types of cancer, but these are much less likely than laryngeal paralysis.

7 week old puppies have fleas. my puppy is getting eatin alive by fleas he is only 7 weeks old and is a very tiny... (11555 views)

Drinking and urinating more. Approx. 6 yrs old or older, part Rodesian Ridgeback, 69 pounds. He was a stray and... (5754 views)

Mascara for dogs? I have noticed eyelashes on my 11 month old bichon frise and i would love to put... (26531 views)

Bladder cancer. Our almost 10 year old kitty has had three recurrent bouts of uti or cystitis in the... (7735 views)

Limping, trouble breathing and then dog died. Dr. Marie, My dog died this evening and am looking for possible causes. I did not... (23576 views)

Does Hartz kill roundworms? well, this one time when I had a lab mix puppy that wasn't vetted or wormed or... (11666 views)

Cat regurgitating fluid. We have a (female) calico cat who was regurgitating 4 - 5 times per day and not... (10741 views)

Keep dachshund from jumping? Hello, About 2 months ago I woke to find that my dachshund could not move her hind... (12789 views)

ibuprofen for arthritis? my dog seems to have problems sometimes when getting up from a short or long rest,... (11658 views)

Kitten got head caught in door. The kitten got its head caught in the pantry door as it was closing. It seems to... (25222 views)