Possible laryngeal Parlysis

Breed: Labrador retreiver
Rex is having breathing difficulties for the last few days primarily while eating or taking a drink. He seems to be struggling to catch his breath and I have noticed that while having one of these episodes his mouth/tongue seems gray/blue in colour. My mother gave him some food/drink the other night and while eating this he lay down and passed out for a few moments and his breathing was very raspy while he was out. I wasn't at home when this happened but she called me and I could hear him down the phone. He came round again after a few mins and was fine. I was wondering if you could shed any light on what might be wrong with him. About 2 years ago, a growth was discovered on his prostate but I was told at the time that it was benign. I was wondering if this may have spread and be causing him problems now. I definitely think it has grown in size. At the time I was told to leave it alone as it wasn't bothering him.

It would be great if you could let me know your thoughts.

Many thanks

Oh I am sorry to hear that Rex is having these problems.

Any time I see an older lab who is having breathing issues I wonder about a condition called laryngeal paralysis. This is a condition that happens when the parts of the larynx don't move properly when the dog breathes.

Some dogs with this condition can be fixed with surgery. But, unfortunately for many dogs it just continues to get worse and worse.

The way that we diagnose laryngeal paralysis is by administering a very light anesthetic and watching the larynx to see if both sides move properly.

There are other possibilities such as hear disease or certain types of cancer, but these are much less likely than laryngeal paralysis.

Diarrhea with mucus. Dr, Are you familiar with those bullwinkle sticks. They are about 13" long, bull... (19122 views)

Cat aggressive with dog. Our household has 2 dogs, 2 indoor cats, 3 parakeets and 3 kids :). The cats and... (4507 views)

Puppy vomiting at night. My 5 month old lab is crate trained and in his crate almost nightly he has begun to... (45149 views)

Should I have euthanized? We put my dog Kyra to sleep yesterday and I am struggling with the decision. Here... (7481 views)

Skin problems. i have a male cocker spaniel 11yrs old, the last couple months he has been... (11405 views)

Infected wound? Hi, my cat is indoor and outdoor (she has the face of an Egyptian Mau & its head... (2977 views)

Cyst or cancer? About a year ago, Bella started limping occasionally. When I inspected her leg, I... (4757 views)

Spay a nursing cat? Our kitty gave birth to three kittens 10 days ago and is already in heat. Is it... (8640 views)

Cat having back end problems. Hi Dr. Marie, It's Christmas Eve so the vet here is closed. I hope you're able to... (9984 views)

Hind end paralysis. I put my beautiful, loyal companion to sleep on Christmas day. The guilt is... (7215 views)