Puppy with vomiting and diarrhea.

Breed: german sheperd
i have a 1 month old puppy and she is vomiting, not eating,pooping brown water and she is really weak i took her to the vet but the could find nothing and i dont know what to do

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Gia is having these problems.

There are a number of things that can cause the symptoms that you have described. Unfortunately when a puppy is this sick they often need to be kept in the hospital on IV fluids in order to survive.

My first concern would be for parvo virus which is very serious. Dogs can survive with at home treatment for parvo but have a much better survival rate in the hospital.

It is also possible that she could have intestinal parasites such as coccidia or giardia that need prescription medications to clear up.

Another possibility is ingestion of a toxin but this is less likely at this age.

Puppies don't have a lot of reserves to fight dehydration. Hopefully you can have her stay at the vet's office to get IV fluids. If not, you can talk to your vet about subcutaneous fluids but this is not as effective. Your vet should also be able to prescribe medications to help with vomiting and diarrhea as well.

I really hope all goes well!

Foods unsafe for dogs? Hi Dr. Marie, I have a 6 year old Shih Tzu. I have given him human food his... (10765 views)

Dog toe xray. I took my dog Cooper to the vet last week and he believed he had a bone... (27818 views)

Small dog ate large dog Trifexis. I gave my 3 dogs trifexis yesterday. My larger dog take the dose for 40.1 to 60... (26879 views)

Lesion on cat's neck Hello, My cat had a lesion on his neck, it caused him no obvious pain. I... (10027 views)

Frontline and Revolution safe for pregnant dogs. Dr. Marie my poor yorkie is pregnet and she got flees from my sisters new dog what... (49712 views)

Wheatgrass for cats? Dear Dr. Marie, I have a question for Fei Meow again. As Fei Meow is very happy... (25616 views)

Incontinence and balance issues. We have a dog breed and age unknown is a stray all of a sudden she has started... (18663 views)

Scratching ears and shaking head. We just started a road trip and my Isis has started scratching her ears and shaking... (8931 views)

Incontinence she will be lying on the floor and she just pees and does not know or realize she... (10113 views)

Hamster skin problems. Hello my hamster hair has started to fall out and he got flaky skin with sore's from... (18336 views)