Dental care for older dog.

Breed: terrier mix
I have an older dog with bad teeth but no way to afford doggy dental. I was wondering what over the counter human pain pills and antibiotics I can safely give my dog.
The vet wont prescribe any thing without expensive test because of the dogs advanced age. I can't afford the vets mark up on meds let a lone the price of the tests. I'm will to take the chance if it means my dog can live a more comfortable life.

Dental disease can be a really difficult thing to deal with. Unfortunately there is no easy solution. The only way to give a dog with dental disease good relief is to have a dental procedure done, and yes, this would be done under an anesthetic. I don't have a problem with administering an anesthetic to an older animal as long a their blood tests are ok. So, yes, blood work would be necessary.

If I have a patient that has really bad dental problems but can't go under anesthetic then I will often prescribe antibiotics. I will sometimes do something called pulse therapy antibiotics. This is where I give antibiotics for the first week of every month.

This doesn't cure the problem, but it cuts down on the infection which usually helps the dog to feel an awful lot better.

Your vet should be willing to prescribe antibiotics without doing blood tests. If not, I would perhaps seek an opinion from another veterinarian.

Unfortunately there is no human over the counter drug that I would consider safe to use in a case like this. There are some human antibiotics that could be used, but you would still need to get a prescription from your vet in order to get them. This can sometimes work out to be less expensive than getting them through your vet, but not always.

I wish I could give you better advice! I really wish there was a less expensive way to treat dental problems in dogs. Please don't pay any attention to things you will read online as miracle cures (i.e. by adding something to the water or food). If it was that easy I would be prescribing those things!

I hope things improve soon.

Anisocoria in 15 year old cat. Taz is 15 years old. For the past couple weeks I have noticed that her right eye is... (6136 views)

Ultrasonic noise deterrents for cats? do devices that omit a 124db ultrasonic burst of sound work as a cat deterrent... (9437 views)

Euthanasia difficulties. Well, Kiggy passed away May 21, 2012 after a vet recommended euthanasia. She was 14... (10425 views)

Aggressive with food. Dear Dr. Marie: My husband and I adopted our kitten, Tigger, last April, so we've... (4694 views)

Pimple on ear. My dog has a pimple on his ear. Its on the inside flap. It only bother him when i... (14457 views)

Overgrooming cat. I RESCUED THE CAT FROM THE STREETS 10 MONTHS AGO. HES 20 POUNDS, EATS WELL, I GIVE... (9491 views)

Treatments for constipated cat. Good morning Dr Marie, This is the second time I have used your service. I was... (4185 views)

Facial lymph nodes and teething. Hi Dr. Marie, After a lot of investigating w/ my own regular vet (very... (11646 views)

Grief after dog's death. I need your help, please... for peace of mind so I can sleep and live with myself. ... (10100 views)

Still has roundworms. My 2-year-old cat, Oliver, has been having a problem with roundworms. He was born... (14098 views)