Dental care for older dog.

Breed: terrier mix
I have an older dog with bad teeth but no way to afford doggy dental. I was wondering what over the counter human pain pills and antibiotics I can safely give my dog.
The vet wont prescribe any thing without expensive test because of the dogs advanced age. I can't afford the vets mark up on meds let a lone the price of the tests. I'm will to take the chance if it means my dog can live a more comfortable life.

Dental disease can be a really difficult thing to deal with. Unfortunately there is no easy solution. The only way to give a dog with dental disease good relief is to have a dental procedure done, and yes, this would be done under an anesthetic. I don't have a problem with administering an anesthetic to an older animal as long a their blood tests are ok. So, yes, blood work would be necessary.

If I have a patient that has really bad dental problems but can't go under anesthetic then I will often prescribe antibiotics. I will sometimes do something called pulse therapy antibiotics. This is where I give antibiotics for the first week of every month.

This doesn't cure the problem, but it cuts down on the infection which usually helps the dog to feel an awful lot better.

Your vet should be willing to prescribe antibiotics without doing blood tests. If not, I would perhaps seek an opinion from another veterinarian.

Unfortunately there is no human over the counter drug that I would consider safe to use in a case like this. There are some human antibiotics that could be used, but you would still need to get a prescription from your vet in order to get them. This can sometimes work out to be less expensive than getting them through your vet, but not always.

I wish I could give you better advice! I really wish there was a less expensive way to treat dental problems in dogs. Please don't pay any attention to things you will read online as miracle cures (i.e. by adding something to the water or food). If it was that easy I would be prescribing those things!

I hope things improve soon.

Dime sized sore above eye. Turbo has a dime size sore just above his left eye. Ive tried washing with peroxide... (16054 views)

Aural Hematoma my 12 yr old italian greyhound's ear is puffy. not the inner ear but the ear itself.... (9541 views)

Tapeworms in kittens. Hey there, I spoke with you a few days ago about my kittens that have worms. The... (10467 views)

Vomiting and balance issues. my dog is losing her equalibreum and was throwing up yellow stomach bile.her poop is... (20941 views)

Yellow skin and then died. today my kitten who was a week old and a day past away but when i found him his... (6017 views)

Seizures in sleep? My dog is 15 years old he has previously about 4 years ago had a tumor removed near... (5355 views)

Geodon (ziprasidone) ingestion. My morkie may have ate a GEODON pill found on the floor. It was 60 mg. And it is an... (15713 views)

Dog Won't Eat My dog won't eat at all,but he still drink(not much)..He wanna move but he can't... (22238 views)

Diabetes and IBD. Hi Dr. Marie- This one is long and complicated, but hopefully it makes sense! I... (7140 views)

Pseudomonas aeruginosa in cats. My cat is aged 9. She was recently diagnosed with Pseudomonas aeruginosa which is... (31381 views)