Dental care for older dog.

Breed: terrier mix
I have an older dog with bad teeth but no way to afford doggy dental. I was wondering what over the counter human pain pills and antibiotics I can safely give my dog.
The vet wont prescribe any thing without expensive test because of the dogs advanced age. I can't afford the vets mark up on meds let a lone the price of the tests. I'm will to take the chance if it means my dog can live a more comfortable life.

Dental disease can be a really difficult thing to deal with. Unfortunately there is no easy solution. The only way to give a dog with dental disease good relief is to have a dental procedure done, and yes, this would be done under an anesthetic. I don't have a problem with administering an anesthetic to an older animal as long a their blood tests are ok. So, yes, blood work would be necessary.

If I have a patient that has really bad dental problems but can't go under anesthetic then I will often prescribe antibiotics. I will sometimes do something called pulse therapy antibiotics. This is where I give antibiotics for the first week of every month.

This doesn't cure the problem, but it cuts down on the infection which usually helps the dog to feel an awful lot better.

Your vet should be willing to prescribe antibiotics without doing blood tests. If not, I would perhaps seek an opinion from another veterinarian.

Unfortunately there is no human over the counter drug that I would consider safe to use in a case like this. There are some human antibiotics that could be used, but you would still need to get a prescription from your vet in order to get them. This can sometimes work out to be less expensive than getting them through your vet, but not always.

I wish I could give you better advice! I really wish there was a less expensive way to treat dental problems in dogs. Please don't pay any attention to things you will read online as miracle cures (i.e. by adding something to the water or food). If it was that easy I would be prescribing those things!

I hope things improve soon.

Itchy hamster. What happens if my hamster is licking itself a lot of scratching itself? Also, what... (22247 views)

Dog can't bark. I just recent spayed my dog this summer and i recently noticed that her bark sounds... (24124 views)

Lepto from mice? I live in New York City, in an apartment. Two days ago, I left Honey's food out on... (15152 views)

Crusty cat nipple. My 8 year old male cats nipple was hard and crusty. I pulled it and it came out and... (69091 views)

Mark on dog's nose. Hello! My dog is a Toy Fox Terrier (5 years old). He is a typical hyperactive toy... (4907 views)

Tumor or cystitis? I have a 17-year-old male cat (British short hair). He is in good health, eats and... (12968 views)

Cat is sleeping a lot. My cat has been sleeping a lot in the last two days. Want play. Will eat a little.... (9338 views)

Big lymph nodes. My dog has swollen lymph nodes for about 15 days now and they are all over his body.... (22175 views)

Sick after having puppies. My fathers hunting dog just had 6 puppies over a matter of 2 days, She is an old dog... (12466 views)

Swollen hip. I am so worried about my dog Holly. I think she may have hip dysplasia. Her hip is... (10739 views)