Dental care for older dog.

Breed: terrier mix
I have an older dog with bad teeth but no way to afford doggy dental. I was wondering what over the counter human pain pills and antibiotics I can safely give my dog.
The vet wont prescribe any thing without expensive test because of the dogs advanced age. I can't afford the vets mark up on meds let a lone the price of the tests. I'm will to take the chance if it means my dog can live a more comfortable life.

Dental disease can be a really difficult thing to deal with. Unfortunately there is no easy solution. The only way to give a dog with dental disease good relief is to have a dental procedure done, and yes, this would be done under an anesthetic. I don't have a problem with administering an anesthetic to an older animal as long a their blood tests are ok. So, yes, blood work would be necessary.

If I have a patient that has really bad dental problems but can't go under anesthetic then I will often prescribe antibiotics. I will sometimes do something called pulse therapy antibiotics. This is where I give antibiotics for the first week of every month.

This doesn't cure the problem, but it cuts down on the infection which usually helps the dog to feel an awful lot better.

Your vet should be willing to prescribe antibiotics without doing blood tests. If not, I would perhaps seek an opinion from another veterinarian.

Unfortunately there is no human over the counter drug that I would consider safe to use in a case like this. There are some human antibiotics that could be used, but you would still need to get a prescription from your vet in order to get them. This can sometimes work out to be less expensive than getting them through your vet, but not always.

I wish I could give you better advice! I really wish there was a less expensive way to treat dental problems in dogs. Please don't pay any attention to things you will read online as miracle cures (i.e. by adding something to the water or food). If it was that easy I would be prescribing those things!

I hope things improve soon.

Itchy scrotum after grooming. Our dog is constantly licking his area where his testicles used to be (he is... (24879 views)

Older cat with problems. Hi there. I really hope that you can answer my question. My cat Derek is obviously... (51792 views)

Spinning on bum. my 8yr old female jack russell sits down and puts her head in the air and spins... (43354 views)

Luxating patella. hello....my boston terrier(chelsea) just turned 12 months...for the past week i... (14414 views)

Head tremors and bloody discharge. Dear Dr. Marie my fiance Melissa contacted you friday 02/26/2010 about are cat... (8327 views)

Itchy dog. Desirae was gave to us,she was dirty and i belive she was kept outside,when we got... (5600 views)

Missed vaccines. My dog is approximatley 4 years old and hasnt had any injections since she was... (4984 views)

Heat symptoms pregnant cat. My cat is pregnant but still acting like she's in season, this has been going on now... (5461 views)

Swollen vulva. "I have a female Rat Terrier who is 6 months old and I was wondering if its normal... (31571 views)

Recurrent bladder infection. I have a four month old pug puppy that has had symptoms of UTI since 4/8/13. She is... (11900 views)