Healthy cat died suddenly.

Breed: Tabby
Why did my cat die?

I came home from work today to find that my cat had died. I was hoping you might be able to help me figure out what happened. He was on my bed and under my covers (he crawls under there sometimes). His legs were outstretched in a normal sleeping pose. One eye was closed, the other partially open. Pupils dilated, mouth closed. The sheets were soaked with urine which I guess he passed when he died.

This morning he was acting perfectly normal and there was no indication that anything was wrong. The only health problem he's ever had is that he can sometimes throw up several times in a row, but this only happens about twice a month. Vet looked at him and thought it might be allergies and gave him a steroid shot. This was about 4 months ago.

He's an indoor cat, in case that matters. He was a little overweight at 18 lbs. Had some anxiety issues, too. That's about all I can think of. Oh and I don't think there were any sources of poison he could have come into contact with. I take paroxetine 25mg. I suppose it's possible I dropped one which he ate, but that seems unlikely.

Thanks for the help,

John

Oh, I am sorry to hear that this happened. How traumatic this must have been!

By far the most common reason for an apparently healthy cat to die suddenly would be a heart condition called hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. When cats have this heart condition there are often no external signs. Some cats might have a heart murmur that the vet can hear, but many are completely healthy on outward appearances.

Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy causes the walls of the heart to be very thick and can cause a cat to die suddenly.

You're right, the dilated pupils and emptied bladder don't really tell us much and likely happened because of the death process.

The only other thing that I could think of would be if he chewed on an electrical cord and had a sudden electrocution but this seems unlikely.

I wish I could give you more answers. I'm so sorry for your loss.

I just saw your additional question. I'll put it here so that everything is in one place:

Update on Simon -

I had the vet perform a necropsy. She couldn't find anything that was obviously wrong. No heartworm, no visible heart problems, no signs of cancer, no fluid in the lungs, no obstructions. She didn't check the brain.

So what's most likely? Some kind of blood clot or aneurysm maybe?

Cases like this are so tough. Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy still is a possibility. While some cats with this condition have very obvious issues with the heart that can be seen on post mortem, sometimes only a pathologist can make the diagnosis.

There really isn't a brain issue that I can think of that would cause sudden death.

Unfortunately I'm afraid I don't have any answers for you. But, I would say that by far the most likely possibility is hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.

Swollen throat. over night my dogs thropat and cheeks have swallon really bad (looks like a hamster... (21980 views)

Male rabbits mounting. i have just got two babay rabbits that should be both 10 weeks old male and... (40626 views)

Infection in nose and eye. HI, My dog Bear is 10 yr old black Lab. He weighs 110lb he is overweight, but he is... (7219 views)

Chlamydia contagious? Can dogs get chlamydia? I encountered information regarding oral chlamydia&don't... (9651 views)

Horrible euthanasia. Lucy has had steroid injections for the last 18 months due to loss of fur and skin... (4837 views)

cat with bald belly Dr Marie, My cat has recently started loosing the hair on her belly her tummy is... (9214 views)

Dog peeing on furniture Skyler is 2 years old and is house broken but sometimes he will come back inside and... (8158 views)

White bumps on anus. Hi Dr. Marie, I know you are quite busy with all your other questions and I am... (18658 views)

Submissive urination. Hey Dr.Marie my dog Mya is 1 year and a half but everytime someone picks her up she... (9487 views)

Pit bull with pink skin. I have a pit bull that is black and white in color. Actually he is predominately... (39501 views)