Hypothyroidism, diabetes and glaucoma.

Breed: lab
my 10 year old lab is hypo thyroid and diabetic 12 units twice a day. she has gone blind in both eyes one glacoma with luxation one hyper cataract and is on every medication and eye drop available. should i have the surgery done to remove both eyes and sew them shut...it has been about 2 weeks or so since she has gone blind and she is not adjusting very well at all is that because of the pain...i don't want to loose her but she is not able to do anything like she used to...thank you

Hi Janet,

Oh, this is a hard situation. Labs are wonderful dogs but when they get old they often get some serious health concerns.

While only you can make this decision, I can give you my thoughts. Glaucoma is quite a painful condition. While there are some mild cases that respond to medications, the vast majority of animals do not do well with eye drops. Unfortunately the only treatment that I have found to be successful is to remove the eye.

If the eye with the cataract does not have glaucoma, you may be able to get away with just removing the other eye.

As far as the surgery goes, dogs handle it extremely well. In almost every case where I have removed an eye the owners have said that they wished they hadn't waited so long because the dog was like a puppy again after removing that source of pain.

I know it is difficult to see her with one (or both) eyes missing. However, as far as Madison is concerned, she already has no vision. She doesn't know that she looks a little strange...all she would know is that she doesn't have pain.

However, if you do do the surgery you will need to be prepared for people's reactions when they see her. If she has to have both eyes removed, people may have a hard time dealing with that.

After all that is said, with all of the problems Madison has, it would be an acceptable decision to decide for euthanasia. But, if you are just not ready for that, then the surgery is the best idea.

I hope that helps with your decision making. Let me know if you have more questions. I will be in appointments all day, but should be able to help you between them.

thank you so much for your kind and informative reply. I believe we have decided to do the surgery. One question i did have...her "good" eye has a cataract and we do not know yet if it is healthy for cataract surgery ...what is your opinion as to the success of cataract surgery and what are the chances of that eye developing glacoma down the road? also what if any eye drops are necessary for the eye that has the cataract removed. I worry about all the medications interferring with her insulin. Again thank you so much...

You're very welcome. I'm sorry about the delay in getting back to you!

I do not have a whole lot of experience with cataract surgery as it is quite expensive! I just did some research for you, however, and cataract surgery is often performed by ophthalmologists in diabetic dogs. The specialist will definitely be able to use postoperative medications that are safe to use along with her insulin.

It sounds like you dog is extremely blessed to have such a great owner!

I hope all goes well!

Vomiting foamy yellow stuff. My Yorki 8 Lb and was throwing up yellow foamy and almost puss like stuff 3 days ago... (18154 views)

Seizures in a Yorkie. This past Monday she had an episode where she went limp and wasn't responsive to her... (22182 views)

Metronidazole for cats alternative? My 16-hr-old neutered male cat is diabetic (since 2008) Was recently prescribed... (11497 views)

Boxer having seizures. Questions about seizures and MRI. Hello, My question is VERY similar to the... (7384 views)

Aggressive cat My cat is having some behavioral issues. When I got her as a kitten she always came... (9035 views)

Seizures and vomiting. Sunday 11 pm to midnight Klyde had his first gran mal seizure during which he... (43025 views)

Heartworm in a puppy? I recently sold an 11 week old pomeranian on January 24, 2010 due to allergies. I... (12829 views)

Risks of liver biopsy? Good morning Dr. Marie! Remember me? From last month with Oreo's bile acid test... (22242 views)

Contagious diarrhea? please bare with me as this is gonna be kind of long... about 2 weeks ago i had... (7149 views)

Bloated abdomen my dog has been severly bloated for five weeks, at first i thought he had just got... (12344 views)