Hypothyroidism, diabetes and glaucoma.

Breed: lab
my 10 year old lab is hypo thyroid and diabetic 12 units twice a day. she has gone blind in both eyes one glacoma with luxation one hyper cataract and is on every medication and eye drop available. should i have the surgery done to remove both eyes and sew them shut...it has been about 2 weeks or so since she has gone blind and she is not adjusting very well at all is that because of the pain...i don't want to loose her but she is not able to do anything like she used to...thank you

Hi Janet,

Oh, this is a hard situation. Labs are wonderful dogs but when they get old they often get some serious health concerns.

While only you can make this decision, I can give you my thoughts. Glaucoma is quite a painful condition. While there are some mild cases that respond to medications, the vast majority of animals do not do well with eye drops. Unfortunately the only treatment that I have found to be successful is to remove the eye.

If the eye with the cataract does not have glaucoma, you may be able to get away with just removing the other eye.

As far as the surgery goes, dogs handle it extremely well. In almost every case where I have removed an eye the owners have said that they wished they hadn't waited so long because the dog was like a puppy again after removing that source of pain.

I know it is difficult to see her with one (or both) eyes missing. However, as far as Madison is concerned, she already has no vision. She doesn't know that she looks a little strange...all she would know is that she doesn't have pain.

However, if you do do the surgery you will need to be prepared for people's reactions when they see her. If she has to have both eyes removed, people may have a hard time dealing with that.

After all that is said, with all of the problems Madison has, it would be an acceptable decision to decide for euthanasia. But, if you are just not ready for that, then the surgery is the best idea.

I hope that helps with your decision making. Let me know if you have more questions. I will be in appointments all day, but should be able to help you between them.

thank you so much for your kind and informative reply. I believe we have decided to do the surgery. One question i did have...her "good" eye has a cataract and we do not know yet if it is healthy for cataract surgery ...what is your opinion as to the success of cataract surgery and what are the chances of that eye developing glacoma down the road? also what if any eye drops are necessary for the eye that has the cataract removed. I worry about all the medications interferring with her insulin. Again thank you so much...

You're very welcome. I'm sorry about the delay in getting back to you!

I do not have a whole lot of experience with cataract surgery as it is quite expensive! I just did some research for you, however, and cataract surgery is often performed by ophthalmologists in diabetic dogs. The specialist will definitely be able to use postoperative medications that are safe to use along with her insulin.

It sounds like you dog is extremely blessed to have such a great owner!

I hope all goes well!

Will neutering stop a dog peeing on things? hi i my dog pisses on everything well getting him fixes stop that thanks... (12623 views)

Foot problem and congestion. My 10 year old dog max just finished taking cephalexin for a foot infection and has... (11173 views)

Puppy ate grapes. My puppy ate 3 grapes. About 24 hours ago. What do I need to watch for? She is 9... (16548 views)

Vomiting and runny eyes. Hello Doc! My cat Princess started throwing up this morning. First two times was... (57327 views)

Wounds not healing. My cat is mostly an indoor cat, but on occassion, he goes outside. Last time he went... (6978 views)

Red bumps on puppy's belly. Hi, our Border Collie puppy has these red bumps on her belly. They are real red and... (96236 views)

Grunting pitbull I have two pit bulls, one is Maverick (female) and the other is Diezel (male). I... (14896 views)

Conjunctivitis zoonotic? My dog has conjunctivitis, which he is being treated for and my friends daughter who... (16138 views)

Recipe for skunk odor. My cat got sprayed by a skunk. What do you recomend to get rid of the... (11979 views)

Black lumps in a cat's ear. I recently noticed two black spots in one of my cat's ears. They haven't always been... (28784 views)