Hypothyroidism, diabetes and glaucoma.

Breed: lab
my 10 year old lab is hypo thyroid and diabetic 12 units twice a day. she has gone blind in both eyes one glacoma with luxation one hyper cataract and is on every medication and eye drop available. should i have the surgery done to remove both eyes and sew them shut...it has been about 2 weeks or so since she has gone blind and she is not adjusting very well at all is that because of the pain...i don't want to loose her but she is not able to do anything like she used to...thank you

Hi Janet,

Oh, this is a hard situation. Labs are wonderful dogs but when they get old they often get some serious health concerns.

While only you can make this decision, I can give you my thoughts. Glaucoma is quite a painful condition. While there are some mild cases that respond to medications, the vast majority of animals do not do well with eye drops. Unfortunately the only treatment that I have found to be successful is to remove the eye.

If the eye with the cataract does not have glaucoma, you may be able to get away with just removing the other eye.

As far as the surgery goes, dogs handle it extremely well. In almost every case where I have removed an eye the owners have said that they wished they hadn't waited so long because the dog was like a puppy again after removing that source of pain.

I know it is difficult to see her with one (or both) eyes missing. However, as far as Madison is concerned, she already has no vision. She doesn't know that she looks a little strange...all she would know is that she doesn't have pain.

However, if you do do the surgery you will need to be prepared for people's reactions when they see her. If she has to have both eyes removed, people may have a hard time dealing with that.

After all that is said, with all of the problems Madison has, it would be an acceptable decision to decide for euthanasia. But, if you are just not ready for that, then the surgery is the best idea.

I hope that helps with your decision making. Let me know if you have more questions. I will be in appointments all day, but should be able to help you between them.

thank you so much for your kind and informative reply. I believe we have decided to do the surgery. One question i did have...her "good" eye has a cataract and we do not know yet if it is healthy for cataract surgery ...what is your opinion as to the success of cataract surgery and what are the chances of that eye developing glacoma down the road? also what if any eye drops are necessary for the eye that has the cataract removed. I worry about all the medications interferring with her insulin. Again thank you so much...

You're very welcome. I'm sorry about the delay in getting back to you!

I do not have a whole lot of experience with cataract surgery as it is quite expensive! I just did some research for you, however, and cataract surgery is often performed by ophthalmologists in diabetic dogs. The specialist will definitely be able to use postoperative medications that are safe to use along with her insulin.

It sounds like you dog is extremely blessed to have such a great owner!

I hope all goes well!

Dog has smelly ears. hiya my puppy has a smell coming from his ears its not strong but when you come... (5728 views)

Papaya leaf extract for cancer? Hi, Jacob is 8 he just had his spleen removed due to a tumor about a week ago. ... (11140 views)

Yorkie has tartar on teeth. I have recently noticed that masey has tartar buildin up on her teeth, iv gave her... (7695 views)

Rottweiler urinating frequently. my dog has getting let out all the time and and and recently she has been weeing... (7786 views)

Dehydrated and trouble breathing. I found my cat yesterday just lying on the ground, he can't lift his head, yesterday... (8103 views)

Stop barking at other dogs. hello when my dog is in the yard, she will bark at other dogs passing. she is a... (4885 views)

Euthanasia because of seizures. I am having extreme guilt over putting my baby down 3 days ago and I wanted a second... (24631 views)

Bumps near mouth and chin. My cat has some bumps near his mouth and they are red and itchy. Do you know what... (15969 views)

Wounds by anus. hello, i have a boxer and it is the third time that he has some kind of wound inside... (18278 views)

Head tremor in a cat. Dear Dr.Marie, My cat Wildwood has been lethargic for the past 2 days, along with... (31174 views)