Panting at night on steroids.

Breed: labrador
my 12 year old black lab is on steroids for an auto immune disease and the medicine seems to be doing okay, he also has a mass next to his spleen. W have xrays but are unwilling to put him through surgery. He eats, poops and walks but he pants heavily at about 9 pm until the morning. If i could tell he were in pain during the day I would probably put him down but i am reluctant as he does all the right stuff during the day.

Cases like this are often difficult ones to make decisions on.

It's really difficult to tell whether the mass next to the spleen is something to worry about. You usually can't differentiate between cancerous and benign for spleen masses by using an ultrasound. And, unlike some tumors, putting a small needle into the mass to get a diagnosis is not always safe for spleen tumors. So, without doing surgery to remove the mass you likely won't know whether it's an issue. Still, surgery is expensive, has no guarantees and is a stress on your dog's body. So, it sounds like we'll need to be content with just monitoring this for now.

There are several possible reasons for your dog to be panting at night. Panting can be a sign of pain. Or, it could be a sign of some type of respiratory issue. It can even be due to anxiety. I have also seen some dogs on steroids that can have extra panting as well.

Ideally it would be best to have chest xrays done to determine if there is an obvious reason for the panting. If the xrays show something like obvious lung cancer then this can help with decision making.

You could talk to your vet about doing a trial of pain medication at night times. The problem is that many pain medications are not safe to use while the dog is on steroids. Your vet may be willing to do a trial of something like Tramadol though. If you do this and you find that the panting gets better then a pain issue is likely.

If this doesn't work, you could also try asking your vet about a trial of anti-anxiety medication. When I mention this, many people are reluctant because they say that their dogs are not stressed, but I have often seen it make a difference.

I hope that helps. Let me know if you have more questions.

Blood pressure for a bird. What is a normal Blood pressure for an AFrican Grey Parrot her wing pressure was... (9485 views)

Dog bite wound. Dear Doctor, with my dog one day ago happend accident, he was in fight with another... (7660 views)

Pit bull with rash. My dog has a bumpy red rash on her inner hip area,around her tail and her private... (9522 views)

Children's shampoo for dog? okay so my sister used a kids brand of shampoo for my new puppy who is 6 weeks old... (15223 views)

Poop caked on bum. I saw that my dog was acting stangely, so I examined him and saw that his bottom is... (24367 views)

Toxic to pets? I am going green and looking for a floor cleaning solution that is dog safe. I was... (6878 views)

Cat is killing lizards. My cat keeps killing lizards that come inside the house. I have tryed spraying water... (16796 views)

Dog pees in the house. Woody has been peeing when I have gone to work in the bedroom. I take him out... (9840 views)

Lump on dog. Hi Dr Marie, I realize your answer to this may be a best guess... But today I... (13773 views)

Tapeworm contagious? I have a 3-4 yr old Siamese cat named Vincent....I got him from a shelter as a... (30759 views)