Panting at night on steroids.

Breed: labrador
my 12 year old black lab is on steroids for an auto immune disease and the medicine seems to be doing okay, he also has a mass next to his spleen. W have xrays but are unwilling to put him through surgery. He eats, poops and walks but he pants heavily at about 9 pm until the morning. If i could tell he were in pain during the day I would probably put him down but i am reluctant as he does all the right stuff during the day.

Cases like this are often difficult ones to make decisions on.

It's really difficult to tell whether the mass next to the spleen is something to worry about. You usually can't differentiate between cancerous and benign for spleen masses by using an ultrasound. And, unlike some tumors, putting a small needle into the mass to get a diagnosis is not always safe for spleen tumors. So, without doing surgery to remove the mass you likely won't know whether it's an issue. Still, surgery is expensive, has no guarantees and is a stress on your dog's body. So, it sounds like we'll need to be content with just monitoring this for now.

There are several possible reasons for your dog to be panting at night. Panting can be a sign of pain. Or, it could be a sign of some type of respiratory issue. It can even be due to anxiety. I have also seen some dogs on steroids that can have extra panting as well.

Ideally it would be best to have chest xrays done to determine if there is an obvious reason for the panting. If the xrays show something like obvious lung cancer then this can help with decision making.

You could talk to your vet about doing a trial of pain medication at night times. The problem is that many pain medications are not safe to use while the dog is on steroids. Your vet may be willing to do a trial of something like Tramadol though. If you do this and you find that the panting gets better then a pain issue is likely.

If this doesn't work, you could also try asking your vet about a trial of anti-anxiety medication. When I mention this, many people are reluctant because they say that their dogs are not stressed, but I have often seen it make a difference.

I hope that helps. Let me know if you have more questions.

Cat losing fur on belly. Over the past month my eldest cat has lost a lot of her fur on her belly and back... (91219 views)

Eye medicine for my cat. We adopted A domestic short haired cat from our local animal shelter. He had an eye... (11468 views)

Immodium overdose? I may have overdosed my chihuahua on immodium ad yesterday. I gave her a humans dose... (30477 views)

Dog is losing weight. I have a 7yr old larger sized min pin. Had her fixed at 1yrs old and she has always... (13299 views)

Freckles on a dog's belly. Francois has developed some brown spots on his belly and testicles. He licks in... (29633 views)

Spot on eye. My boxer scratched his eye. Went to Vet and confirmed and they put him on Neomycin... (20733 views)

Large red spots on dog's stomach. When I got home from work today, my dog had several large red spots on his stomach.... (200235 views)

Infected spay incision? Dear Dr.Marie, My cat Twiggy had spay surgery 2 days ago. She eats and sleeps... (23112 views)

Seizures Max is 14. Four nights ago he had a big seizure that lasted about 60-90 seconds. ... (94219 views)

Drooling and not eating. My female cat, Patches, has been with me since I was young. She has never been to a... (17185 views)