Panting at night on steroids.

Breed: labrador
my 12 year old black lab is on steroids for an auto immune disease and the medicine seems to be doing okay, he also has a mass next to his spleen. W have xrays but are unwilling to put him through surgery. He eats, poops and walks but he pants heavily at about 9 pm until the morning. If i could tell he were in pain during the day I would probably put him down but i am reluctant as he does all the right stuff during the day.

Cases like this are often difficult ones to make decisions on.

It's really difficult to tell whether the mass next to the spleen is something to worry about. You usually can't differentiate between cancerous and benign for spleen masses by using an ultrasound. And, unlike some tumors, putting a small needle into the mass to get a diagnosis is not always safe for spleen tumors. So, without doing surgery to remove the mass you likely won't know whether it's an issue. Still, surgery is expensive, has no guarantees and is a stress on your dog's body. So, it sounds like we'll need to be content with just monitoring this for now.

There are several possible reasons for your dog to be panting at night. Panting can be a sign of pain. Or, it could be a sign of some type of respiratory issue. It can even be due to anxiety. I have also seen some dogs on steroids that can have extra panting as well.

Ideally it would be best to have chest xrays done to determine if there is an obvious reason for the panting. If the xrays show something like obvious lung cancer then this can help with decision making.

You could talk to your vet about doing a trial of pain medication at night times. The problem is that many pain medications are not safe to use while the dog is on steroids. Your vet may be willing to do a trial of something like Tramadol though. If you do this and you find that the panting gets better then a pain issue is likely.

If this doesn't work, you could also try asking your vet about a trial of anti-anxiety medication. When I mention this, many people are reluctant because they say that their dogs are not stressed, but I have often seen it make a difference.

I hope that helps. Let me know if you have more questions.

High stepping and chattering. My dog has suddenly started walking funny. He lifts his paws up higher than normal... (9600 views)

Pit bull has pus and is off balance. Hi Dr.Marie, i was wondering if you could please answer a question for me. My dog... (7594 views)

Is spinach good for dogs? Is spinach toxic for... (149372 views)

Cut my dog's nail too short. Last night, we trimmed one of our dog's nails a little too close to the quick and... (189776 views)

Cat died suddenly. Hi and thank you for your time My son met me at the door in tears as 1.5 year old... (7320 views)

Bobcat with lump. Hi,I was wondering about my bobcat mix... He is 3 mo old ..we found him when he was... (7718 views)

Child and dog have a virus. My puppy that is 9 weeks old has had all shot. Today he has terrible diarrhea and... (7060 views)

Skin lesions on dog's face. HI, my Chikita has been having some skin trouble and cant exactly figure out what it... (5683 views)

I'm out of prednisone. Sammy has been on 2.5mg of prednisone per day for the past two years for... (15797 views)

Laryngeal paralysis and vomiting. my dog gags and coughs when he eats and also eats mulch and grass and subsequently... (10264 views)