Black sore near anus.

Breed: Maltese/Shih Tzu
Hello Dr.Marie (I am SO grateful for you!),

I have had my two dogs (same breeder) since they were six mths old and have never had this happen. Feces does get trapped in their hair but I check each time they go and clean their bottom if nec. I had a 3-day migraine and must have missed a piece on my male to the side of his rectum. I feed them green beans and raw carrots for treats so they haven't seemed to have bowel issues or anal gland issues.

Yesterday, I noticed he was chasing his tail so I checked his anal glands and found a stuck piece of poo to the side of his anus. I put him in the bath and kept cleaning it with a cloth and realized it was no longer poo and actually his skin. It is dark so I thought mabye a scab? I put peroxide on it and cut the hair off of it. Now, when he goes, I clean it with a wet cotton ball and then dry it with tp and then put peroxide on it. He has stopped chasing his tail since I have been doing this. I know you can't see it, but does it sound like a sore due to the trapped poo on his skin? It isn't oozing pus or blood and from what I can tell isn't red. I think I am seeing a dark scab? Is peroxide the best thing to use? I have antibiotic creams too? I was wondering what would be best to treat it and how long is it ok to treat it myself before I go to his vet?

Thank you, Diana. A heartbroken mom!!

This is a tough question to answer without seeing Max's bum, but I'll give you my thoughts.

I'm wondering if what you are seeing is an anal gland impaction or abscess. If it next to the anus at about a 4 or 8 o'clock position then this is quite likely. If this is the case then it may heal on its own, but likely will need to have your vet take a look.

It is also possible that there is some bruising or skin irritation in this area. If this is the case then it should just get better on its own without any treatment from you.

I wouldn't recommend any more peroxide. Peroxide is good for cleaning a dirty wound, but if we use it repeatedly it slows down healing of the area. An antibiotic cream won't hurt but it's not likely to be too helpful. If this is infected then it's going to need something stronger than antibiotic cream.

I think it's fine to keep an eye on this over the next day or two. But if it starts to bother him again, or if it opens up and starts to ooze (as would happen if it is an anal sac impaction or infection) then he'll need to see the doctor!

Thank you, Dr. Marie! I will stop the peroxide and anti biotic cream. It is on the left side of his bum and about 1 and a half 1/2 inches down to the side of his anus. Does that still sound like an impaction or abscess? I was wondering if at any time I should use a q-tip to push gently around it to see if has pus or should I just use visual eyeing of it and noting his behavior about his bum like chasing his tail? His is white and skin is pink so his skin is delicate. Thank you again. This is my last question!

It really does sound like an issue with his anal glands. Most likely there is not a lot that you can do for it at this point. It does sound like he should see his vet, but you don't need to rush in to an emergency vet for this.

No worries about asking followup questions...that's what I'm here for!

Thanks, Dr. Marie,
I am going to just schedule a vet appt for him tomorrow. I don't want to risk an impact. Thanks, again!

Feel free to post back after your appointment if you have more questions!

Cat pawing at mouth My cat has been like this for 2 days now, he looked like he was chokeing at first,... (26868 views)

URTI in diabetic cat. Buster is a 14 year old male who weighs 16 pounds. He has had diabetes for 2-1/2... (11534 views)

Kitten not pooping. Hi Dr. Marie. I recently just brought a young kitten home and he is probably 4... (10305 views)

Pit bull with pink skin. I have a pit bull that is black and white in color. Actually he is predominately... (40214 views)

Luxating patella. hello....my boston terrier(chelsea) just turned 12 months...for the past week i... (14121 views)

Vomiting kitten. My 4 week kitten was abandoned by his mom when he was a few days old. He is very... (5309 views)

Hip Arthritis. Euthanasia? Hi Myself and my boyfriend have a complicated problem with no good answer. Our 9... (13742 views)

Urinating in house. Bella has started urinating in places other than her litter box. She has not been... (4457 views)

Cat can't poop. hi am afraid it is a mega colon my cat is not giving any stool , although he is... (14719 views)

arthritis in 17 year old dog I have a 17 year old female german shepard/black lab/collie mix that weighs 45... (77998 views)