Snorted out vaccine.

Breed: adopted, mostly herd
Hello Dr. Marie....Rianna had her booster for Bordatella first of October..she has not missed a booster in ten years. She snorted it out right back at the vet when he gave it to her, he said she got enough? As I worried would happen, did...I boarded her two weeks later, for a weekend only, she got kennel cough, she got over it immediately with steroids and antibiotics though for ten days.... but is it okay for her to get another booster now? I must board her at Christmas and again in February....her next booster is not due until April? I am so worried she did not get her appropriate booster in October? Thus why she got it? She was in the luxury suite at the boarders with as they say sterilized dishes, her own cot and doggie door...I read they can get it in the air, if not enough circulation? I am so worried about boarding her again and especially since I will be further away and little longer and thinking she did not get at the very least an appropriate dose. Thank you so much. The vet here said she got something??

Thanks for your question. Sorry to hear that Rianna got kennel cough.

In my area we are seeing a lot of kennel cough. And this time, some of the dogs who are getting kennel cough are properly vaccinated.

Your vet is right that it is ok if a dog snorts out the kennel cough vaccine. The nose only needs a small amount of vaccine in it to stimulate immunity.

So, why did Rianna get kennel cough? There are two possibilities that I can think of.

The first, is that the vaccine that infected Rianna was of a different strain than that in the vaccine. Sometimes viruses can change or mutate and the vaccine may not be completely effective. No vaccine is 100% against viruses.

The second, is that it may not actually be kennel cough that Rianna got. Sometimes what we think is kennel cough is actually canine influenza (dog flu). Don't worry though, canine influenza is not contagious to people like swine flu or bird flu. We treat influenza the same way as we do kennel cough but often it takes longer to go away.

Any dog can pick up kennel cough if they share airspace with an infected dog. In our area, many dogs are getting kennel cough in the dog park, and these dogs have never been to a kennel. It is very contagious.

You can talk to your vet about repeating the vaccine. If they truly feel they got vaccine in the nose then it is likely not necessary. But, it won't hurt.

Vomiting bile. My dog has been throwing up all day, and all though the night. The throw up is... (42710 views)

Severe arthritis. Hi Dr. Marie, My sweet Murphys is displaying weakness in hind legs, (they... (8059 views)

Peeing on blankets. We adopted Ginger a year ago and it took some time to get her house trained. She now... (18603 views)

Vomiting, quiet cat. My 5 year old cat starting vomiting on Sunday - a few times and then vomited clear... (17003 views)

Cat pulling hair out of stomach. Dark has been pulling the hair out of his stomach for over a year. He now has a... (12299 views)

Dog died after having diarrhea. My dog Dott is a small Aussie mix, weighing about 28 lbs. She is normally very... (27719 views)

Bumps near mouth and chin. My cat has some bumps near his mouth and they are red and itchy. Do you know what... (17872 views)

Dog with ear problem. Icleaned my dogs ears with a Q tip and may have hurt his ear drum. I cannot go to a... (14024 views)

Benadryl for dogs How much Benadryl can I give my dog? I think he is having an allergic reaction to a... (20064 views)

Bald patches on body. I live in Spain. Last Spring my dog had hard white lumps of skin down the sides of... (34957 views)