Snorted out vaccine.

Breed: adopted, mostly herd
Hello Dr. Marie....Rianna had her booster for Bordatella first of October..she has not missed a booster in ten years. She snorted it out right back at the vet when he gave it to her, he said she got enough? As I worried would happen, did...I boarded her two weeks later, for a weekend only, she got kennel cough, she got over it immediately with steroids and antibiotics though for ten days.... but is it okay for her to get another booster now? I must board her at Christmas and again in February....her next booster is not due until April? I am so worried she did not get her appropriate booster in October? Thus why she got it? She was in the luxury suite at the boarders with as they say sterilized dishes, her own cot and doggie door...I read they can get it in the air, if not enough circulation? I am so worried about boarding her again and especially since I will be further away and little longer and thinking she did not get at the very least an appropriate dose. Thank you so much. The vet here said she got something??

Thanks for your question. Sorry to hear that Rianna got kennel cough.

In my area we are seeing a lot of kennel cough. And this time, some of the dogs who are getting kennel cough are properly vaccinated.

Your vet is right that it is ok if a dog snorts out the kennel cough vaccine. The nose only needs a small amount of vaccine in it to stimulate immunity.

So, why did Rianna get kennel cough? There are two possibilities that I can think of.

The first, is that the vaccine that infected Rianna was of a different strain than that in the vaccine. Sometimes viruses can change or mutate and the vaccine may not be completely effective. No vaccine is 100% against viruses.

The second, is that it may not actually be kennel cough that Rianna got. Sometimes what we think is kennel cough is actually canine influenza (dog flu). Don't worry though, canine influenza is not contagious to people like swine flu or bird flu. We treat influenza the same way as we do kennel cough but often it takes longer to go away.

Any dog can pick up kennel cough if they share airspace with an infected dog. In our area, many dogs are getting kennel cough in the dog park, and these dogs have never been to a kennel. It is very contagious.

You can talk to your vet about repeating the vaccine. If they truly feel they got vaccine in the nose then it is likely not necessary. But, it won't hurt.

Diarrhea and vomiting. My cat has had a problem with gassy diarrhea and vomiting over the past 3 weeks. My... (8884 views)

Green and black teeth. My Basenji is 14 years old, has green/black teeth in the back. He has started... (13345 views)

Older cat with diarrhea Gizzy has Diarrhea most all the time and it smells really bad She used to throw up... (9931 views)

Missing hamster teeth. My hamster completely lost her bottom teeth and i dont know what to do. i searched... (13819 views)

Trembling chihuahua. SHE HAS BEEN TREMBLING FOR 2 DAYS AND HAS NOT EATEN FOR FOR 2 DAYS. OTHERWISE SHE... (8960 views)

Carnassial tooth slab fracture. Hello Dr. Marie! Thanks for offering this service! My 3 year old dog has... (11107 views)

Cat is licking himself and has scabs. My cat is licking him self till he bleeds and it's getting so bad that he has... (10129 views)

Older cat problems. My cat is eating constantly. Every hour or two she cries at me to eat. And she's... (9842 views)

Epogen for cat with anemia. Hi Dr. Marie, I need a second opinion. My 19 year old male cat was recently... (11242 views)

Testicles are swollen. Bingo was hit from behind by a car mon nite. He got several cuts on 1 side of face,... (16132 views)