I'm out of prednisone.

Breed: Cavalier King Charle
Sammy has been on 2.5mg of prednisone per day for the past two years for syringomyelia. I ran out of his medicine on Friday, thinking mistakenly that I had another tub in the cabinet. In the area I live there is no vet available on weekends - which means that I won't get a new prescription until Monday and he'll have spent 2-3 days suddenly without his prednisone dose. I've heard that it is dangerous to stop prednisone suddenly. He seems fine so far, but how worried should I be? Is it an emergency? (The nearest emergency vet is 2 hrs away by car, and I don't have a car)

Thanks for your question.

While every situation is different, from what you have described, Sammy really should be ok until Monday.

When a dog is on a relatively high dose of prednisone, it can cause the dog to not produce cortisol properly. What this means is that if a dog on a high dose of prednisone had his dose stopped all of a sudden, there is a possibility that the body would not have enough of its own cortisol and as such not be able to respond to stress well. When this happens a dog can possibly get something called Addison's disease which is indeed serious.

With all that being said, Sammy is on a relatively low dose of prednisone. This means that the risk of developing Addison's after being off of prednisone for 2-3 days is extremely small.

If this were my case I would be advising that you monitor him until you can get some medicine on Monday. If you feel that he is not eating, really lethargic, painful, or if your gut is telling you something is wrong then it would be good to have an emergency visit.

Cyst on dog? My toy rat terrier chiuaua mix has a clear bumpy thing on her side just below her... (6352 views)

Cat abscess not healing. About two weeks ago we took my cat to the vet, he has a abscess near his bottom, the... (10948 views)

Chattering jaw. my 2yr old lhasa apso could just be sitting and his jaw starts to shake non-stop for... (8582 views)

Bengal leg weakness. Rebel has had some undiagnosed rear end lameness and weakness intermitantly since... (8339 views)

Parvo? My English Mastiff started vomiting on Friday. By Saturday he had extremely watery... (14069 views)

14 year old dog with diarrhea and weight loss I have 14 year old pomeranian. for the past 1 month, he is suffering from diarrhoea,... (17056 views)

German Shepherd not eating. I have a 13 year old female german shepherd. She is currently taking Proin and... (13487 views)

Dog urinating in the house. I really need help, i have a dog that is now one and a half years old, hes a cross... (8997 views)

Dog ate acorn Dear Dr. Marie: Back again! While on a walk tonight, Jammy may have gotten a bit... (96099 views)

Dog not well after fighting. My dog was in a fight with the neighbors dog last night. When I there Captain was... (5080 views)