I'm out of prednisone.

Breed: Cavalier King Charle
Sammy has been on 2.5mg of prednisone per day for the past two years for syringomyelia. I ran out of his medicine on Friday, thinking mistakenly that I had another tub in the cabinet. In the area I live there is no vet available on weekends - which means that I won't get a new prescription until Monday and he'll have spent 2-3 days suddenly without his prednisone dose. I've heard that it is dangerous to stop prednisone suddenly. He seems fine so far, but how worried should I be? Is it an emergency? (The nearest emergency vet is 2 hrs away by car, and I don't have a car)

Thanks for your question.

While every situation is different, from what you have described, Sammy really should be ok until Monday.

When a dog is on a relatively high dose of prednisone, it can cause the dog to not produce cortisol properly. What this means is that if a dog on a high dose of prednisone had his dose stopped all of a sudden, there is a possibility that the body would not have enough of its own cortisol and as such not be able to respond to stress well. When this happens a dog can possibly get something called Addison's disease which is indeed serious.

With all that being said, Sammy is on a relatively low dose of prednisone. This means that the risk of developing Addison's after being off of prednisone for 2-3 days is extremely small.

If this were my case I would be advising that you monitor him until you can get some medicine on Monday. If you feel that he is not eating, really lethargic, painful, or if your gut is telling you something is wrong then it would be good to have an emergency visit.

Vaginal bleeding in cat. my cat is having vaginal bleeding since early morning, she cannot keep up with... (19694 views)

Contagious diarrhea? please bare with me as this is gonna be kind of long... about 2 weeks ago i had... (7019 views)

Should tumor be removed? Hello there. My dog has a hard lump on his hind leg, which is about the size of a... (5990 views)

Vomiting and balance issues. my dog is losing her equalibreum and was throwing up yellow stomach bile.her poop is... (22411 views)

Eye and ear infections. My dog was diagnosed with diabetes a few months ago. We are giving her Humulin N. ... (13236 views)

Bumps near mouth and chin. My cat has some bumps near his mouth and they are red and itchy. Do you know what... (16033 views)

Is URTI contagious to other cats? I have brang a new kitten home that has an upper respitory tract infection (URTI).... (7849 views)

Cat is being picked on I have 3 cats. Inga is picked on by both. I think they both just want to play with... (10152 views)

Why is cat urinating in the house? Hi Dr. Marie, Recently, my one cat Habibi has started urinating outside of the... (5263 views)

In pain after spay. Our dog got spayed 2 days ago and she still cries in pain quite a bit. I was... (10876 views)