I'm out of prednisone.

Breed: Cavalier King Charle
Sammy has been on 2.5mg of prednisone per day for the past two years for syringomyelia. I ran out of his medicine on Friday, thinking mistakenly that I had another tub in the cabinet. In the area I live there is no vet available on weekends - which means that I won't get a new prescription until Monday and he'll have spent 2-3 days suddenly without his prednisone dose. I've heard that it is dangerous to stop prednisone suddenly. He seems fine so far, but how worried should I be? Is it an emergency? (The nearest emergency vet is 2 hrs away by car, and I don't have a car)

Need help finding a veterinarian in your area? Click here for Dr. Marie's advice on
finding a good veterinarian near you.

Thanks for your question.

While every situation is different, from what you have described, Sammy really should be ok until Monday.

When a dog is on a relatively high dose of prednisone, it can cause the dog to not produce cortisol properly. What this means is that if a dog on a high dose of prednisone had his dose stopped all of a sudden, there is a possibility that the body would not have enough of its own cortisol and as such not be able to respond to stress well. When this happens a dog can possibly get something called Addison's disease which is indeed serious.

With all that being said, Sammy is on a relatively low dose of prednisone. This means that the risk of developing Addison's after being off of prednisone for 2-3 days is extremely small.

If this were my case I would be advising that you monitor him until you can get some medicine on Monday. If you feel that he is not eating, really lethargic, painful, or if your gut is telling you something is wrong then it would be good to have an emergency visit.

QUIZ: Is your cat secretly planning to murder you?

Have you tried the Purr Pillow? This is one of Dr. Marie's top recommended pet products for 2016.

Pit Bull died suddenly. My Female Pit bull is about a year and half to 2 years we got her from a neighbor... (9109 views)

Bassett hound neck pain, etc. Our dog Lola came to us as a stray about 3 yrs ago. She is about 7 years old and... (9222 views)

Bloody diarrhea. Hi Marie its 630 and there is no open vet or petstore/grooming in site =( then i... (30659 views)

Dog with balance issues. My dog broke her back molar tooth on a bone 2yrs ago, she did get a infection, but i... (7268 views)

Reduced appetite in kitten. Hello Dr. Marie, My 6 month old kitten has suddenly started eating less. She... (11279 views)

Ear cartilage broken. someone has broke the cartridge in my dogs ear by rubbing them hard. what can i do... (14972 views)

Bad breath in puppy. My two month maltese male puppy has really bad breath, what can I do? I'm worrying... (2850 views)

Cat with crusty areas. Hello, I'd like some advice on diagnosis and treatment for my cat. She has had... (8752 views)

Older cat problems. My cat is eating constantly. Every hour or two she cries at me to eat. And she's... (7543 views)

Dog has teeth stuck in her cheek. i noticed my dogs mouth was bleeding a little bit while we were playing so i opened... (7325 views)