Bleach got on dog's skin.

Breed: Mastiff
Our child picked up some 2% bleach cleaning solution and sprayed it into our dog crate and onto our dog.

We rinsed our dogs eyes (and body) with warm water, and then sopped the eyes with warm water from a washcloth.

Our puppy (90 lbs) failed to show any signs of discomfort (blinking, rubbing) and his eyes look normal (not reddish or watering).

I once had mist from a stronger cleaning solution in my eyes many years ago, and I was exhibiting unmistakable signs of distress.

We don't actually know if spray or mist directly entered his eyes.

This didn't seem to warrant an emergency room visit, and this seems a bit neglectful on our part...so I'm a little embarrassed to contact our regular Vet.

Would you recommend further action?

We have two young children as well and I understand how these things can happen.

The biggest concern for bleach is if a dog was actively drinking bleach which is unlikely in this case. Breathing in a significant amount can cause respiratory problems as well. But, this sounds likely as well.

The following quote is from the health hazard section of the MSDS for bleach:

Some clinical reports suggest a low potential for sensitization upon exaggerated
exposure to sodium hypochlorite if skin damage (e.g., irritation) occurs during
exposure. Under normal consumer use conditions the likelihood of any adverse
health effects are low.

In other words, there is a small chance that there could be skin irritation with bleach exposure, but in most cases, nothing will happen.

Many veterinary clinics use bleach to clean their cages and would not do so if residual bleach in the cage could cause skin burns.

At this point I would not be overly concerned. However, I would keep a close watch on your dog and if you see any red areas on the skin, difficulty breathing, coughing, red eyes or vomiting/diarrhea then I would have a vet take a look.

Cat with diarrhea but eating. My 12 year old tabby had watery diarrhea and vomited 1 night ago. I took food away... (25169 views)

Did I make the right decision? Hello, I guess my question isn't so much of a question but more of a plea for... (43747 views)

Runny soft stools. Rocky is 7 weeks old, has been eating the same food and now his feces has become... (11210 views)

Infected wound? Hi, my cat is indoor and outdoor (she has the face of an Egyptian Mau & its head... (3896 views)

Dog only has one testicle. my dog has only one penis can it mate... (13981 views)

Pooping and peeing outside of box. I own two cats and they're both litter box trained but today my oldest cat pooped... (8370 views)

Dog ate goat feces. Hello, We had a baby goat that contracted tetanus. Before we knew he was sick, he... (13052 views)

Time for euthanasia? My 19 year old cat has been ill for some time. For many years I have had to help... (7203 views)

Chicken jerky from Thailand. We hear about the chicken jerkey from China, how about the jerkey from Thiland. Do... (7470 views)

Dog has distemper. My dog is coughing ,vomiting whatever he eats but he has appetite took him to a vet.... (9862 views)