Bleach got on dog's skin.

Breed: Mastiff
Our child picked up some 2% bleach cleaning solution and sprayed it into our dog crate and onto our dog.

We rinsed our dogs eyes (and body) with warm water, and then sopped the eyes with warm water from a washcloth.

Our puppy (90 lbs) failed to show any signs of discomfort (blinking, rubbing) and his eyes look normal (not reddish or watering).

I once had mist from a stronger cleaning solution in my eyes many years ago, and I was exhibiting unmistakable signs of distress.

We don't actually know if spray or mist directly entered his eyes.

This didn't seem to warrant an emergency room visit, and this seems a bit neglectful on our part...so I'm a little embarrassed to contact our regular Vet.

Would you recommend further action?

We have two young children as well and I understand how these things can happen.

The biggest concern for bleach is if a dog was actively drinking bleach which is unlikely in this case. Breathing in a significant amount can cause respiratory problems as well. But, this sounds likely as well.

The following quote is from the health hazard section of the MSDS for bleach:

Some clinical reports suggest a low potential for sensitization upon exaggerated
exposure to sodium hypochlorite if skin damage (e.g., irritation) occurs during
exposure. Under normal consumer use conditions the likelihood of any adverse
health effects are low.

In other words, there is a small chance that there could be skin irritation with bleach exposure, but in most cases, nothing will happen.

Many veterinary clinics use bleach to clean their cages and would not do so if residual bleach in the cage could cause skin burns.

At this point I would not be overly concerned. However, I would keep a close watch on your dog and if you see any red areas on the skin, difficulty breathing, coughing, red eyes or vomiting/diarrhea then I would have a vet take a look.

Is coconut oil good for dogs? Hello, I'm writing to find out if coconut oil is safe and beneficial to feed my... (7993 views)

Malamute panting. We have taken in a rescue dog. When they brought him to us he was panting and they... (11406 views)

Handling newborn kittens. Hello, My cat has recently had kittens. I think they are a day old. She had... (9638 views)

Spinal cord lymphoma Hello Dr. Marie, Our angel puppy Oreo passed away last night. We decided to move... (11873 views)

Cat is very thirsty. I have a one year old cat, he eats well no concerns there, but he is consently... (10007 views)

Guinea Pig Pregnancy info. Hi, i bought a guinea pig from a pet store about a month ago and now, i think shes... (14583 views)

Cavalier screaming in pain. Hi there, since last Thursday my puppy having very strange moment and I went to my... (35295 views)

Goopy eyes. My kittens eyes are BOTH gooping up a lot. I do not know if it is an infection, or... (10508 views)

Sick, limping puppy. Good Evening I know my puppy needs to go to the vet however the vet will not be... (8594 views)

Dog is panting a lot. My dog Sam has been panting alot for the past year. Recently he is doing this more... (24552 views)