Bleach got on dog's skin.

Breed: Mastiff
Our child picked up some 2% bleach cleaning solution and sprayed it into our dog crate and onto our dog.

We rinsed our dogs eyes (and body) with warm water, and then sopped the eyes with warm water from a washcloth.

Our puppy (90 lbs) failed to show any signs of discomfort (blinking, rubbing) and his eyes look normal (not reddish or watering).

I once had mist from a stronger cleaning solution in my eyes many years ago, and I was exhibiting unmistakable signs of distress.

We don't actually know if spray or mist directly entered his eyes.

This didn't seem to warrant an emergency room visit, and this seems a bit neglectful on our part...so I'm a little embarrassed to contact our regular Vet.

Would you recommend further action?

We have two young children as well and I understand how these things can happen.

The biggest concern for bleach is if a dog was actively drinking bleach which is unlikely in this case. Breathing in a significant amount can cause respiratory problems as well. But, this sounds likely as well.

The following quote is from the health hazard section of the MSDS for bleach:

Some clinical reports suggest a low potential for sensitization upon exaggerated
exposure to sodium hypochlorite if skin damage (e.g., irritation) occurs during
exposure. Under normal consumer use conditions the likelihood of any adverse
health effects are low.

In other words, there is a small chance that there could be skin irritation with bleach exposure, but in most cases, nothing will happen.

Many veterinary clinics use bleach to clean their cages and would not do so if residual bleach in the cage could cause skin burns.

At this point I would not be overly concerned. However, I would keep a close watch on your dog and if you see any red areas on the skin, difficulty breathing, coughing, red eyes or vomiting/diarrhea then I would have a vet take a look.

Ok for dog to eat cat food? My puppy gets annoyed and jealous of me interacting with my cat, especially when I... (5646 views)

Gradual change of food? Hello, I reside in South Korea and I am the father of 3 cocker spaniels. Recently... (8873 views)

Lump near penis. I have a one year old male dashund dog. He got all his shots. For two days he... (9636 views)

Dog sick after eating apricots. Yesterday I found Poppy and my other Aussie eating apricots from the neighbors... (21318 views)

Time for euthanasia? My dog Juliet is 12 1/2 years old. She is a black lab with Addison's disease which... (14550 views)

Patellar luxation in big dog. Dr, For the past few days Max has had a UTI. For the past two visits my vet has... (7002 views)

Not using litter box. All of a sudden my cat, has decided to use her litterbox to urinate only. She will... (9637 views)

Rimady and kidney disease. I took my dog to the vet because she yelped when I rubbed her belly above her... (8227 views)

Rash on dog's chin. I HAVE A 1.6 YEAR OLD GREAT DANE IN GOOD HEALTH. HOWEVER, SHE HAS DEVELOPED A RASH... (14725 views)

Cat pooping in the house. hello, my name is kelly horne. we recently got a new cat, i was told she's 6... (8529 views)