Lump near penis.

Breed: dashund- hot dog
I have a one year old male dashund dog. He got all his shots. For two days he vomited and appeared that he had fever. We took him to the vet because he started vomiting and got very week ; he does not want to eat or drink anything. Vet order x-rays , antibiotics and pills to stop his vomiting. The x-rays showed a spot near the back of his leg and his penis. Vet recommended an ultrasound. Vomiting stopped but he still week; he sleeps all day. Still dont want to eat on his own. He is taking one antibotic pill a day. Today is his fifth day on the medicine. He has 5 more pills. I was doing research in the internet and appeared to me that the lump he has on the side of his penis has to do with his bulbourethral glands. The lump on his side is hard and now is more visible. That dog does not appeard to be in pain now but he sleeps all day. Can you tell me what can go wrong with these glands and what will be the recommended treatment and possible cost.
Thank you
Concern dog owner,

I'm so sorry this answer took a little longer than promised...I have had some problems with my email notification tonight.

It sounds like Peanut is really unwell.

I'm trying to figure out what you are describing with the lump near his penis. It really doesn't sound like the bulbourethral gland. If this was the case, it should only be there for a few minutes and then should go away (i.e. once an erection went down.)

I'm wondering if the lump that you are seeing is some type of a hernia such as an inguinal hernia.

An inguinal hernia doesn't usually cause serious problems, but it is possible that there is important tissue such as intestines or organs stuck in the hernia. This could definitely cause serious problems.

It's hard to say for certain what the next step is, especially without me being able to examine your dog, but I think that the vet's plan for an ultrasound is a good one. An ultrasound should be able to tell us if there is a hernia and if so, if there are intestines or organs trapped in it.

If this is the case, then he may need to have surgery in order to repair the problem.

Another possibility is if this lump is some type of an abscess. If so, antibiotics may not work until the abscess is surgically opened up and drained.

What you have described is definitely unusual. I'm sorry that I don't have an exact answer for you, but it sounds like he needs to have more tests done.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am online until about 11 p.m. EST tonight. If I miss you, I will check in on your question in the morning.

than you for the inf. We were thinking to take the dog back to the vet after he finish the pills. If there is a need for surgery, in you opinion how expensive that it is and how long will be the recovery.

thank you for answering the questions so fast.

This is a tough question to answer without knowing exactly what the problem is. The best case scenario is that this is a very ripe abscess or even something called a seroma (which is just a pocket of fluid). If this is the case then it could possibly be lanced and the cost could be under $150.

If it is a hernia and needs abdominal surgery then unfortunately this can be very expensive. Abdominal surgery could cost $1000 to $3000.

Recovery time obviously depends on what the problem is but dogs do tend to heal much faster than people. I would be very surprised if this was something that had a long time for recovery.

Weak legs on Coton deTulear. Hi! I have an 8 month old Coton de Tulear that I acquired through a very... (6625 views)

Diarrhea and vomiting. My cat has had a problem with gassy diarrhea and vomiting over the past 3 weeks. My... (8749 views)

lump on ear In the last couple weeks a bump on the tip of my dogs ear has shown up. We have been... (8983 views)

Female dog leaking urine. Dr. Marie My 8yr old shepard mix is leaking urine more days than not she is a... (12998 views)

Cancer or infection? My dog recently completed radiation therapy for a brain tumor and he handled the... (5020 views)

Time for euthanasia? I am trying to make the decision on putting my dog down. She no long is herself and... (15402 views)

Should this tumor be removed? My neice's 8-month old cavoodle has a growth on his shoulder. When we first noticed... (13026 views)

Puppy breathing hard. Tucker is only 8 weeks old, I can't get his needles until this Tues. I think he has... (12983 views)

Is pinkeye contagious to pets? My husband just contracted pink eye. Is it possible for him to spread it to our dog... (28407 views)

Dog jealous over owner. My female dog is 2 years old. She's a black lab. She had puppies and my boyfriend... (19542 views)