Lump near penis.

Breed: dashund- hot dog
I have a one year old male dashund dog. He got all his shots. For two days he vomited and appeared that he had fever. We took him to the vet because he started vomiting and got very week ; he does not want to eat or drink anything. Vet order x-rays , antibiotics and pills to stop his vomiting. The x-rays showed a spot near the back of his leg and his penis. Vet recommended an ultrasound. Vomiting stopped but he still week; he sleeps all day. Still dont want to eat on his own. He is taking one antibotic pill a day. Today is his fifth day on the medicine. He has 5 more pills. I was doing research in the internet and appeared to me that the lump he has on the side of his penis has to do with his bulbourethral glands. The lump on his side is hard and now is more visible. That dog does not appeard to be in pain now but he sleeps all day. Can you tell me what can go wrong with these glands and what will be the recommended treatment and possible cost.
Thank you
Concern dog owner,

I'm so sorry this answer took a little longer than promised...I have had some problems with my email notification tonight.

It sounds like Peanut is really unwell.

I'm trying to figure out what you are describing with the lump near his penis. It really doesn't sound like the bulbourethral gland. If this was the case, it should only be there for a few minutes and then should go away (i.e. once an erection went down.)

I'm wondering if the lump that you are seeing is some type of a hernia such as an inguinal hernia.

An inguinal hernia doesn't usually cause serious problems, but it is possible that there is important tissue such as intestines or organs stuck in the hernia. This could definitely cause serious problems.

It's hard to say for certain what the next step is, especially without me being able to examine your dog, but I think that the vet's plan for an ultrasound is a good one. An ultrasound should be able to tell us if there is a hernia and if so, if there are intestines or organs trapped in it.

If this is the case, then he may need to have surgery in order to repair the problem.

Another possibility is if this lump is some type of an abscess. If so, antibiotics may not work until the abscess is surgically opened up and drained.

What you have described is definitely unusual. I'm sorry that I don't have an exact answer for you, but it sounds like he needs to have more tests done.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am online until about 11 p.m. EST tonight. If I miss you, I will check in on your question in the morning.

than you for the inf. We were thinking to take the dog back to the vet after he finish the pills. If there is a need for surgery, in you opinion how expensive that it is and how long will be the recovery.

thank you for answering the questions so fast.

This is a tough question to answer without knowing exactly what the problem is. The best case scenario is that this is a very ripe abscess or even something called a seroma (which is just a pocket of fluid). If this is the case then it could possibly be lanced and the cost could be under $150.

If it is a hernia and needs abdominal surgery then unfortunately this can be very expensive. Abdominal surgery could cost $1000 to $3000.

Recovery time obviously depends on what the problem is but dogs do tend to heal much faster than people. I would be very surprised if this was something that had a long time for recovery.

Bald spot on cat's tail. By accident my Ricky has a blad spot on his tail & i sure hope that it grows back?... (7845 views)

Drinking and urinating more. my dog is drinking so much water lately.and she is also leaving large wet spots on... (9245 views)

Anal tumor. I have an 8 year old male labrador retriever, we has terrible hips problems in which... (16191 views)

Positive leishmaniasis test. my dog has just had a blood test result for leishmans the result is 0.1 and requires... (10604 views)

Wart on dog's foot. Last Friday I was walking my dog and he suddenly pulled up his front right paw and... (35698 views)

Natural treatment for lymphoma? my dog was just diagnosed with lymphoma cancer. hes on prednisone. cant afford... (10321 views)

Chihuahua fell from couch. Hello. I have a sweet, loving, happy, and spoiled female chihuahua, weighing about... (14088 views)

Pit Bull doesn't want to walk. Okay, A few minuets ago I went on a walk/jog with my playful Putbull/Lab, I had... (10162 views)

Dog dying of parvo. sage is well......dying of parvo and i want to know ways to make a dog really happy... (19989 views)

Trouble breathing and died. my beloved cat mr whippy died recently and i am breaking my heart thinking i could... (11949 views)