Lump near penis.

Breed: dashund- hot dog
I have a one year old male dashund dog. He got all his shots. For two days he vomited and appeared that he had fever. We took him to the vet because he started vomiting and got very week ; he does not want to eat or drink anything. Vet order x-rays , antibiotics and pills to stop his vomiting. The x-rays showed a spot near the back of his leg and his penis. Vet recommended an ultrasound. Vomiting stopped but he still week; he sleeps all day. Still dont want to eat on his own. He is taking one antibotic pill a day. Today is his fifth day on the medicine. He has 5 more pills. I was doing research in the internet and appeared to me that the lump he has on the side of his penis has to do with his bulbourethral glands. The lump on his side is hard and now is more visible. That dog does not appeard to be in pain now but he sleeps all day. Can you tell me what can go wrong with these glands and what will be the recommended treatment and possible cost.
Thank you
Concern dog owner,

I'm so sorry this answer took a little longer than promised...I have had some problems with my email notification tonight.

It sounds like Peanut is really unwell.

I'm trying to figure out what you are describing with the lump near his penis. It really doesn't sound like the bulbourethral gland. If this was the case, it should only be there for a few minutes and then should go away (i.e. once an erection went down.)

I'm wondering if the lump that you are seeing is some type of a hernia such as an inguinal hernia.

An inguinal hernia doesn't usually cause serious problems, but it is possible that there is important tissue such as intestines or organs stuck in the hernia. This could definitely cause serious problems.

It's hard to say for certain what the next step is, especially without me being able to examine your dog, but I think that the vet's plan for an ultrasound is a good one. An ultrasound should be able to tell us if there is a hernia and if so, if there are intestines or organs trapped in it.

If this is the case, then he may need to have surgery in order to repair the problem.

Another possibility is if this lump is some type of an abscess. If so, antibiotics may not work until the abscess is surgically opened up and drained.

What you have described is definitely unusual. I'm sorry that I don't have an exact answer for you, but it sounds like he needs to have more tests done.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am online until about 11 p.m. EST tonight. If I miss you, I will check in on your question in the morning.

than you for the inf. We were thinking to take the dog back to the vet after he finish the pills. If there is a need for surgery, in you opinion how expensive that it is and how long will be the recovery.

thank you for answering the questions so fast.

This is a tough question to answer without knowing exactly what the problem is. The best case scenario is that this is a very ripe abscess or even something called a seroma (which is just a pocket of fluid). If this is the case then it could possibly be lanced and the cost could be under $150.

If it is a hernia and needs abdominal surgery then unfortunately this can be very expensive. Abdominal surgery could cost $1000 to $3000.

Recovery time obviously depends on what the problem is but dogs do tend to heal much faster than people. I would be very surprised if this was something that had a long time for recovery.

Kidney disease and seizures. My cat is 17 years old. She has had kidney disease for five years. I have multiple... (21377 views)

Clindamycin overdose? I have been caring for Sox, a feral. Awhile back Sox started coughing on and off... (8378 views)

Intestinal lymphoma. Hello Dr. Marie Our Jack Russell/Pug mixed breed dog Charlie is 6 yrs old and has... (16365 views)

Phenobarb shortage? my vet just informed me the phenobarbital my dog take is going up 600% in price...is... (14259 views)

Straining to urinate. bella acts like she has to urinate all the time. when she squats very little comes... (9158 views)

Losing weight and hungry. My dog Knock has lost a lot of weight, he currently weighs about thirty pounds and... (14996 views)

Lump on puppy's jaw. Hi, My puppy has a lump on her face at the side just below her eye, Its roughly... (13214 views)

Kitten with white gums. My kitten is 8 weeks old she just wants to lay around she was playing with the other... (21984 views)

Why use jugular vein? Why would my vet take blood out of the neck (jugler (?) vein)? In most cases I've... (18417 views)

Dog with bloody stool. Hi, I mistakenly changed my dog's food without mixing which I now know is a big... (12720 views)