Spots on belly of Golden Retriever.

Breed: GOLDEN RETRIEVER
my dog recently had dirty brown spots on her stomach when i touch them or wash them they peel off i think its part of her skin she recently began swimming in our chloranted pool could this be the problem or is there some other source causing this

While I can't say for sure without examining your dog, what you are describing sounds like it could be a bacterial skin infection. Golden Retrievers seem to get more skin infections than other breeds for some reason.

The peeling skin you are mentioning may be something called a collarette which is what tells us there is bacteria there.

If there is a bacterial infection, they almost always need a 2-8 week course of oral antibiotics prescribed by your vet in order to clear up. Creams and other topical medicines do not seem to work.

You may also want to ask your vet about the possibility of underlying hypothyroidism as this can be common in Goldens as well.

Can dogs take human antibiotics? Can dogs take human antibiotics or triple creams for... (10978 views)

Blood in stool. Hi, this is going to be a really long question so my apologies in advance, but we... (7490 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea in pregnancy. My dog has had 1 or 2 ties and it's been about a week now and she's starting to have... (3843 views)

Min Pin won't eat. My 2 year old (obese) miniature pinscher has been displaying very odd behavior.... (7555 views)

Pitbull is itchy. I have a 4 year old pitbull/lab mix that has been scratching and biting at herself.... (41459 views)

Howling at night time. My cat is has been meowing quite a bit and she is a little on lethargic side. In... (8035 views)

Tramadol not working. He is on Tramodol 50 mg 3x a day plus 80lbs of Metacam for Arthritis. He was put on... (11238 views)

Pocket pets and cats. I have been considering adding a small pocket pet as a companion to my home. I... (2336 views)

Wobbly Boxer. My 3 year old boxer has been having some issues. He has always been very very clumsy... (8254 views)

Increased thirst and urination. I have an 11 year old spayed female toy poodle. She has been drinking a lot of water... (17976 views)