Spots on belly of Golden Retriever.

Breed: GOLDEN RETRIEVER
my dog recently had dirty brown spots on her stomach when i touch them or wash them they peel off i think its part of her skin she recently began swimming in our chloranted pool could this be the problem or is there some other source causing this

While I can't say for sure without examining your dog, what you are describing sounds like it could be a bacterial skin infection. Golden Retrievers seem to get more skin infections than other breeds for some reason.

The peeling skin you are mentioning may be something called a collarette which is what tells us there is bacteria there.

If there is a bacterial infection, they almost always need a 2-8 week course of oral antibiotics prescribed by your vet in order to clear up. Creams and other topical medicines do not seem to work.

You may also want to ask your vet about the possibility of underlying hypothyroidism as this can be common in Goldens as well.

Healthy cat died suddenly. Why did my cat die? I came home from work today to find that my cat had died. I... (19175 views)

Dog waking every 2 hours. Our dog gets congested, breathes through his mouth, his mouth dries out and he wants... (21248 views)

Wobbly after anesthesia. Hello Dr. Marie, I just have a few questions about Snova...he got shaved for the... (12326 views)

Blood in poop. Hi There, I found a few drops of blood last night in and near my puppies poo. Not... (47675 views)

Cat is getting lazy. Not urgent. Snowy used to play with paper and bottle tops and whatever else he could... (9920 views)

Time for euthanasia? I am trying to make the decision on putting my dog down. She no long is herself and... (13080 views)

Vomiting Dog. I contacted you about Little White Dog on April 24. She had had an exploratory to... (16644 views)

Needs anal glands done again. I just took Chloe to the vet last weekend because she was skooting and her vet... (6350 views)

Peeing in house. I have a 10 year old female cat that has never consistently used the litter box in... (3998 views)

Pit bull with pink skin. I have a pit bull that is black and white in color. Actually he is predominately... (33835 views)