Spots on belly of Golden Retriever.

Breed: GOLDEN RETRIEVER
my dog recently had dirty brown spots on her stomach when i touch them or wash them they peel off i think its part of her skin she recently began swimming in our chloranted pool could this be the problem or is there some other source causing this

While I can't say for sure without examining your dog, what you are describing sounds like it could be a bacterial skin infection. Golden Retrievers seem to get more skin infections than other breeds for some reason.

The peeling skin you are mentioning may be something called a collarette which is what tells us there is bacteria there.

If there is a bacterial infection, they almost always need a 2-8 week course of oral antibiotics prescribed by your vet in order to clear up. Creams and other topical medicines do not seem to work.

You may also want to ask your vet about the possibility of underlying hypothyroidism as this can be common in Goldens as well.

Cat has flaky skin. My Maine Coon, Nino has had flaky skin for quite awhile. I had him at the vet a few... (8745 views)

Swollen dog testicles. can dogs get testuculer or prostate cancers? my dog has swollen testicles, and is... (35427 views)

Stroke or brain tumor? I have been doing a lot of searching on the internet over the weekend and am glad... (11116 views)

Big belly in stray cat. Hello, One day a stray cat showed up at our Home, We could tell she was expecting.... (23653 views)

Deformed leg on puppy. I have a Pomeranian Maltese that gave birth early yesterday morning. When going to... (11079 views)

Malamute panting. We have taken in a rescue dog. When they brought him to us he was panting and they... (11220 views)

Reduce allergies to cats. I'm allergic to cats but I would love to have one. I've recently heard that there is... (7933 views)

Good chew toys for dogs. Hi Dr, I have a 9 month old dog who is part Golden and part Canadian beaver. He... (14684 views)

Older cat missing litter box. My 18 year old male cat is getting into the liter box and urinating on the floor... (15384 views)

Nursing cat has no milk. she has difficulty producing milk; one time losing milk early, the second she... (10721 views)