Spots on belly of Golden Retriever.

Breed: GOLDEN RETRIEVER
my dog recently had dirty brown spots on her stomach when i touch them or wash them they peel off i think its part of her skin she recently began swimming in our chloranted pool could this be the problem or is there some other source causing this

While I can't say for sure without examining your dog, what you are describing sounds like it could be a bacterial skin infection. Golden Retrievers seem to get more skin infections than other breeds for some reason.

The peeling skin you are mentioning may be something called a collarette which is what tells us there is bacteria there.

If there is a bacterial infection, they almost always need a 2-8 week course of oral antibiotics prescribed by your vet in order to clear up. Creams and other topical medicines do not seem to work.

You may also want to ask your vet about the possibility of underlying hypothyroidism as this can be common in Goldens as well.

Diarrhea with blood Hi Dr. Marie. My dog has had diarrhea for a couple of days. He still seems to be... (13099 views)

Dog ate food with onions. my dog ate cut up sausage but it had onion,will he get sick... (9419 views)

Not eating or drinking and is painful. My cat tink 3 yrs seems very poorly he hasn't eaten or drank for 2 days now is very... (4268 views)

KBr Side Effects? I read your answer about seeing severe side effects of KBR and would like your... (10778 views)

Dog pees on the furniture. Rusty is a reserve rescue dog we have had since this summer. He is an absolute joy... (6950 views)

Dog has split her nail. my dog has a toe nail that is split. it is causing her alot of pain. what do we do... (8078 views)

Coughing kitten. I have a 6 wk old rescued kitten who in the past 2 days has developed a horrible... (13590 views)

Why is cat urinating in the house? Hi Dr. Marie, Recently, my one cat Habibi has started urinating outside of the... (5104 views)

Cat has flaky skin. My Maine Coon, Nino has had flaky skin for quite awhile. I had him at the vet a few... (8246 views)

Cancerous growth in dog's mouth? Hi, I have just spotted a growth in my dogs mouth. What does mouth cancer look like... (12829 views)