Lump under dog's eye?

Breed: Great Dane
A couple days ago I noticed a red-pink bump under my dog's right eye. It didn't seem to bother her so I thought she was fine. Yesterday it got a little bigger and she was playing and it popped and some blood came out and I wiped it away but her energy and appetite didn't change or anything. Today I noticed that now it's growing along the bottom of her eye a little wider. I'm not sure if it's serious or not and wondering if you could help me. She's still very playful and eating the same and it doesn't seem to bother her at all. She doesn't paw at it or anything. I'll email photos of what it looked like when I first noticed and what it looks like today. Please help!

Thank you,
Bettina

Thank you for sending me these great photos of the lump under your dog's eye:

lump beneath dog's eye

lump under dog's eye

This is a tough question to answer. If the lump was on the dog's eyelid then I would think it is something called a meibomian gland adenoma. But, we don't see these on the skin below the eye. In fact, there really isn't a specific condition that I can think of that looks like this.

My first thought is that this could be a mild abscess as the result of some type of small penetrating object like a splinter. If this is the case, it might be healed now that it has popped.

At this point, I would keep an eye on things. If it comes back again or has not completely cleared up in a week or so then I would have your vet take a look. I think that it is unlikely to be some sort of cancer, but if it's not clearing up your vet may want to do some tests. There's not a whole lot you can do for it in the meantime other than just watch it for now.

I hope things clear up soon!

All cats in house getting sick. Hi Dr. Marie, I have a household of 6, normally healthy cats. Lately, we have... (4111 views)

Genetic defects in a puppy. my dog has tapeworms and she gave birth to four puppies.one was born really skinny... (9833 views)

Treat for fleas same day as spay? I just had my puppy spayed. She came home with fleas. How long do I have to wait... (11800 views)

Regular vs baby aspirin I have run out of baby aspirin so is it ok to give a dog just one low dose bayer... (19771 views)

Diarrhea with blood. my dog, i just recently changed his dog food. and i got home and saw diarrhea... (22776 views)

Sick pregnant cat. hi, i think my cat is pregnant, shes suddenly put on alot of weight and has spotted... (8096 views)

Time for euthanasia? My dog Juliet is 12 1/2 years old. She is a black lab with Addison's disease which... (13249 views)

Bump on roof of mouth. Hi I'm almost certain this is nothing. But I have an 8 week old golden male. I've... (32114 views)

Dog with balance issues. My dog broke her back molar tooth on a bone 2yrs ago, she did get a infection, but i... (9377 views)

Kitten with white gums. My kitten is 8 weeks old she just wants to lay around she was playing with the other... (20314 views)