Lump under dog's eye?

Breed: Great Dane
A couple days ago I noticed a red-pink bump under my dog's right eye. It didn't seem to bother her so I thought she was fine. Yesterday it got a little bigger and she was playing and it popped and some blood came out and I wiped it away but her energy and appetite didn't change or anything. Today I noticed that now it's growing along the bottom of her eye a little wider. I'm not sure if it's serious or not and wondering if you could help me. She's still very playful and eating the same and it doesn't seem to bother her at all. She doesn't paw at it or anything. I'll email photos of what it looked like when I first noticed and what it looks like today. Please help!

Thank you,
Bettina

Thank you for sending me these great photos of the lump under your dog's eye:

lump beneath dog's eye

lump under dog's eye

This is a tough question to answer. If the lump was on the dog's eyelid then I would think it is something called a meibomian gland adenoma. But, we don't see these on the skin below the eye. In fact, there really isn't a specific condition that I can think of that looks like this.

My first thought is that this could be a mild abscess as the result of some type of small penetrating object like a splinter. If this is the case, it might be healed now that it has popped.

At this point, I would keep an eye on things. If it comes back again or has not completely cleared up in a week or so then I would have your vet take a look. I think that it is unlikely to be some sort of cancer, but if it's not clearing up your vet may want to do some tests. There's not a whole lot you can do for it in the meantime other than just watch it for now.

I hope things clear up soon!

Do cats get pink eye? My cat had a "pink eye" this weekend while I was away, according to the pet sitter. ... (5531 views)

Yellow skin and urine. My cat has been lethargic for about two weeks. Last week I noticed her Urine was... (12298 views)

Foot problem and congestion. My 10 year old dog max just finished taking cephalexin for a foot infection and has... (8270 views)

Will spay terminate pregnancy? It is a possibility my dog might be pregnant. But my mom wants to get her spayed... (14398 views)

Pelvis fracture. Dear Dr Marie, My dog currently has a broken pelvis that is not mending. It... (18026 views)

Limping Dog. Yesterday, my dog started limping & avoiding putting any weight on his right hind... (25842 views)

Dog with back problems. I know it's log winded, but I wanted to include all the information... (19599 views)

Brown spot on lip of dog. Greetings, I have noticed that my cat has problem with her mouth. On the lower... (11305 views)

Snorting dog My dog has been sneezing and once ina while making a coughing sound...like snoring. ... (27002 views)

Why did my dog die? I had a 6 yr old lab mix. November 2010 he started becoming lethargic, limping... (7909 views)