Lump under dog's eye?

Breed: Great Dane
A couple days ago I noticed a red-pink bump under my dog's right eye. It didn't seem to bother her so I thought she was fine. Yesterday it got a little bigger and she was playing and it popped and some blood came out and I wiped it away but her energy and appetite didn't change or anything. Today I noticed that now it's growing along the bottom of her eye a little wider. I'm not sure if it's serious or not and wondering if you could help me. She's still very playful and eating the same and it doesn't seem to bother her at all. She doesn't paw at it or anything. I'll email photos of what it looked like when I first noticed and what it looks like today. Please help!

Thank you,
Bettina

Thank you for sending me these great photos of the lump under your dog's eye:

lump beneath dog's eye

lump under dog's eye

This is a tough question to answer. If the lump was on the dog's eyelid then I would think it is something called a meibomian gland adenoma. But, we don't see these on the skin below the eye. In fact, there really isn't a specific condition that I can think of that looks like this.

My first thought is that this could be a mild abscess as the result of some type of small penetrating object like a splinter. If this is the case, it might be healed now that it has popped.

At this point, I would keep an eye on things. If it comes back again or has not completely cleared up in a week or so then I would have your vet take a look. I think that it is unlikely to be some sort of cancer, but if it's not clearing up your vet may want to do some tests. There's not a whole lot you can do for it in the meantime other than just watch it for now.

I hope things clear up soon!

Cat losing hair on neck and ears. My cat Bella is always throwing up hairballs. I also noticed that she has lost fur... (10504 views)

Missing hamster teeth. My hamster completely lost her bottom teeth and i dont know what to do. i searched... (13045 views)

Allergic reaction. Harley is having the following symptoms. Shaking head regularly licking... (4238 views)

I'm out of prednisone. Sammy has been on 2.5mg of prednisone per day for the past two years for... (14562 views)

Unneutered dog bit child. Hello Dr. Marie, Our 9 year old Border Collie has no history of aggression or... (8467 views)

Painful erection My 9 month old dog, Jack, has been getting erections that last up to about 10... (20557 views)

UTI and straining. I have a feral cat that hangs around my workplace. I have had him neutered. He also... (12063 views)

Sick shih tzu Hello, I have a question about my 2 and a half year old shit-zu. yesterday, after... (14372 views)

Recipe for skunk odor. My cat got sprayed by a skunk. What do you recomend to get rid of the... (9093 views)

Hind end pain in beagle. I'm wondering if we need a set of fresh eyes about this ongoing situation, perhaps a... (14657 views)