Lump under dog's eye?

Breed: Great Dane
A couple days ago I noticed a red-pink bump under my dog's right eye. It didn't seem to bother her so I thought she was fine. Yesterday it got a little bigger and she was playing and it popped and some blood came out and I wiped it away but her energy and appetite didn't change or anything. Today I noticed that now it's growing along the bottom of her eye a little wider. I'm not sure if it's serious or not and wondering if you could help me. She's still very playful and eating the same and it doesn't seem to bother her at all. She doesn't paw at it or anything. I'll email photos of what it looked like when I first noticed and what it looks like today. Please help!

Thank you,
Bettina

Thank you for sending me these great photos of the lump under your dog's eye:

lump beneath dog's eye

lump under dog's eye

This is a tough question to answer. If the lump was on the dog's eyelid then I would think it is something called a meibomian gland adenoma. But, we don't see these on the skin below the eye. In fact, there really isn't a specific condition that I can think of that looks like this.

My first thought is that this could be a mild abscess as the result of some type of small penetrating object like a splinter. If this is the case, it might be healed now that it has popped.

At this point, I would keep an eye on things. If it comes back again or has not completely cleared up in a week or so then I would have your vet take a look. I think that it is unlikely to be some sort of cancer, but if it's not clearing up your vet may want to do some tests. There's not a whole lot you can do for it in the meantime other than just watch it for now.

I hope things clear up soon!

Elevated kidney enzymes. I brought my dog, Trixie (10 year old Shih Tzu) in this morning for her yearly... (21062 views)

Dog has teeth stuck in her cheek. i noticed my dogs mouth was bleeding a little bit while we were playing so i opened... (12366 views)

Xylitol in fruit toxic to dogs? Hello Dr. Marie, I've recently become very aware of the dangers of xylitol with... (35732 views)

Time to put dog to sleep? My dog is very old and has been Very skinny the past month, But yesterday he lost... (7884 views)

Diarrhea and coughing. First off let me apologize for the convoluted description of the symptoms, but I... (6310 views)

Vuvlar tumor in a cat. Hello, 2 weeks ago i had my russian blue sterilised cat (elderly not sure how old... (11008 views)

Megaesophagus in a puppy. I have a 7 week old lab/pit mix puppy who has been throwing up her food since we got... (9472 views)

Healthy weight for a puppy. My papipoo recently had a haircut and I was shocked at how skinny he is. What is a... (11010 views)

Tumor on a guinea pig. Hi Marie, My daughter's 14 month old guinea pig has a tumor with a thick, scaly... (14792 views)

What kind of dog to get? My dog Toby died at the age of 14 2 moths ago.Me and my family r looking 4 a new... (7800 views)