Sick kitten

Breed: unknown
We recently found this kitten last week outside, when we found him we estimated that he was about 4 weeks old. He started eating wet cat food good, using the litter box, and drinking some water. Starting last night, he started acting really lethargic and was having some really labored breathing. This morning, still the same. But this morning he wouldn't even touch his food (which is not normal, usually he really goes for it) and he pooped, but he meowed really loud when he pooped and its real hard. Could he just be constipated? If so, what can I do for him with how young he is? Or could there be something else wrong? He lives with 4 other adult cats (who are behind on their shots but are inside all the time) and 2 adult dogs (who are up to date on their shots). I would really like some advice on this matter, I don't want to loose my little kitten, who we named Tid Bit. Thank you.
Tyler

It does sound like little Tid Bit is not well. We don't normally see constipation as a problem with kittens, so I don't think this is just a "normal" thing.

Any time a kitten does not want to eat there is some sort of a medical issue.

The hard poop could be happening if he was dehydrated. But the question is, "Why is he dehydrated?"

I'm also concerned about the labored breathing...this can be a sign of a heart problem or possibly a respiratory virus.

It really does sound like Tid Bit should have a vet visit today. Your vet can tell if he is dehydrated and will talk about what treatments can be done.

Until you get there, try offering him some watered down canned kitten food. If he starts to eat then there is a possibility that this is something simple like some minor stomach upset. But, what you have described makes me concerned that there is something more serious going on.

I hope he is ok!

Thank you for your advice. I appreciate it. I did take him to the vet today. They said he may have a really bad case of worms, that and a touch of pnumonia in one of his lungs. They have been giving him sub q fluids, antibiotics, and they wormed him. He's still lethargic, but I hope that it gets better. Again, thank you for your time and your advice!
Tyler

Oh, I'm so glad you were able to take him in! I'm praying for a full recovery for the little guy!

Is Frontline working for fleas? I live in Iowa and rescued a black Pug from a family in July. The previous owner... (17789 views)

Cat has diarrhea. Hi, Our cat has diarrhea - it seems that she licks and licks herself and then it... (7811 views)

Fleas, pale nose and sick. My cat Ava has lost alomot all of her hair and so much weight i can see her hip... (4903 views)

Inbreeding dogs. is it true that if a female dog and her son have a relationship will the puppies... (40655 views)

Phenobarbital and Zonisamide. Ziggy had cluster seizures as a puppy and we have been controlling them (averages... (7783 views)

Eating grass and vomiting. Bleu has always been a resilient dog with now health problems, but over the last... (18564 views)

Wobbly boxer My 3 year old male boxer has several issues. A couple weeks ago he was lethargic... (17632 views)

Trouble breathing and died. my beloved cat mr whippy died recently and i am breaking my heart thinking i could... (9146 views)

Tail tip injury. our dog is golden retriever 5 years old, he had happy tail and somehow cut the tip... (7040 views)

Brain and thyroid cancer. Hello Dr. Marie, I'm so sad to say I lost my boy cancer last week. We first... (13880 views)