Hair loss and hyperthyroidism.

Breed: short-hair
Dear Dr. Marie,
I have had my cat Cody for five years. He was a stray cat who was found behind an animal hospital. They took him in, cleaned him up, and gave him necessary shots. He has been a relatively healthy cat, though he has possible arthritis and other physical difficulties.

Starting around May or June of this year, he started losing fur in little clumps. Recently, that subsided but now he has a few spots on his back that look a little bare. What could be causing this?

FYI: He does have a thyroid disorder and is taking medicine: Methimazole-- 5 mg, 2x a day.

I appreciate whatever advice you can give. Thank you.
Sincerely,
Julie H.

Hi Julie, and thanks for your question.

My first thought when I read your question was to ask whether you have had Cody's thyroid level checked in the last few months. Sometimes a cat's methimazole requirements can change over time. If he is actually getting too much medication this can cause some drastic changes in the coat.

If the spots on his back are mostly over the tail and up the middle of his back then I would recommend treating him with a prescription flea product. Some cats are so allergic to fleas that only one bite will set them off and cause balding in these areas.

Some cats can lose clumps of hair if their body is fighting some other type of medical condition. It would be a great idea to have your vet do some general bloodwork just to be sure that everything is ok.

I hope he does well!

Heartworm treatment. Sam was a rescue, we believe that he is a little over two years old and a pit / lab... (7139 views)

Cat doesn't want to move. My cats bio: July was infested with fleas. Took two months to totally rid them from... (6046 views)

Epogen for cat with anemia. Hi Dr. Marie, I need a second opinion. My 19 year old male cat was recently... (12230 views)

Peeing in the house. I would like a REAL solution to this, without the standard answers or suggestions(... (8664 views)

Did laundry soap cause seizures? two week ago my dog was covered in Laundry Detergent. My had it everywhere, even... (10475 views)

Training blind dog. My rottweiler is blind and does not like to go outside. If I put her on a leash and... (10178 views)

Tumor grew back. Hello, Our cat Chester had a tumor removed, sarcoma, about the size of a large golf... (5740 views)

Trifexis overdose. My approx 4-5lb teacup Pomeranian ate HALF of the Trifexis meant for a 60-120lb dog... (5452 views)

Liver cancer questions. My dog Penny was on trilo for Cushings - Dec 2010- then she went into Addisons went... (7416 views)

Ear problems in a cat. I adopted my cat Fudge from a shelter when he was 9. He came with a host of... (10373 views)