Hair loss and hyperthyroidism.

Breed: short-hair
Dear Dr. Marie,
I have had my cat Cody for five years. He was a stray cat who was found behind an animal hospital. They took him in, cleaned him up, and gave him necessary shots. He has been a relatively healthy cat, though he has possible arthritis and other physical difficulties.

Starting around May or June of this year, he started losing fur in little clumps. Recently, that subsided but now he has a few spots on his back that look a little bare. What could be causing this?

FYI: He does have a thyroid disorder and is taking medicine: Methimazole-- 5 mg, 2x a day.

I appreciate whatever advice you can give. Thank you.
Sincerely,
Julie H.

Hi Julie, and thanks for your question.

My first thought when I read your question was to ask whether you have had Cody's thyroid level checked in the last few months. Sometimes a cat's methimazole requirements can change over time. If he is actually getting too much medication this can cause some drastic changes in the coat.

If the spots on his back are mostly over the tail and up the middle of his back then I would recommend treating him with a prescription flea product. Some cats are so allergic to fleas that only one bite will set them off and cause balding in these areas.

Some cats can lose clumps of hair if their body is fighting some other type of medical condition. It would be a great idea to have your vet do some general bloodwork just to be sure that everything is ok.

I hope he does well!

Dentistry on older cat. My cat, who is a 19 year old spayed male we have had his entire life is fairly... (15511 views)

High ALP in a pug. Hi Dr. Marie, I have a 7yr old female Pug. She was getting "pyoderma" every few... (33489 views)

Poop caked on bum. I saw that my dog was acting stangely, so I examined him and saw that his bottom is... (22739 views)

Tail tip injury. our dog is golden retriever 5 years old, he had happy tail and somehow cut the tip... (7868 views)

Grade 4 heart murmur. Today I had went to a new vet with my 8 year old Cocker Spaniel, and while the vet... (12484 views)

White urine in guinea pig. My Guinea Pigs urine is a white color (or possibly cloudy). Is this something we... (46825 views)

Dog has loose stools. I adopted Levi, a beautiful and terrific champion show dog in August. I have never... (13459 views)

Itchy dog. My question is long because I have to give all the background data. On May 10, 2011... (21524 views)

TPO success rate. WHat is the degree of success from triple... (8435 views)

Vet lost the lump! My cat had surgery last Thursday to have a cyst on his toe removed to see if it was... (10701 views)