Hair loss and hyperthyroidism.

Breed: short-hair
Dear Dr. Marie,
I have had my cat Cody for five years. He was a stray cat who was found behind an animal hospital. They took him in, cleaned him up, and gave him necessary shots. He has been a relatively healthy cat, though he has possible arthritis and other physical difficulties.

Starting around May or June of this year, he started losing fur in little clumps. Recently, that subsided but now he has a few spots on his back that look a little bare. What could be causing this?

FYI: He does have a thyroid disorder and is taking medicine: Methimazole-- 5 mg, 2x a day.

I appreciate whatever advice you can give. Thank you.
Sincerely,
Julie H.

Hi Julie, and thanks for your question.

My first thought when I read your question was to ask whether you have had Cody's thyroid level checked in the last few months. Sometimes a cat's methimazole requirements can change over time. If he is actually getting too much medication this can cause some drastic changes in the coat.

If the spots on his back are mostly over the tail and up the middle of his back then I would recommend treating him with a prescription flea product. Some cats are so allergic to fleas that only one bite will set them off and cause balding in these areas.

Some cats can lose clumps of hair if their body is fighting some other type of medical condition. It would be a great idea to have your vet do some general bloodwork just to be sure that everything is ok.

I hope he does well!

Dog ate a feminine pad. My Boyfriend's Dog scooter is a German Shorthaired Pointer. He is about 4 years old.... (182752 views)

Rottweiler can't stand. Hello, We have a 13 year old Rott who was diagnosed with arthritis of the spine. ... (31553 views)

Dog can't jump. My dog keeps shaking and isn't acting herself. Her whole body is shaking but it is... (24060 views)

Steroid shots for allergies. Dr. Marie, Our 9 lb. cat has had a chronic skin ailment the majority of his life,... (17774 views)

Dog has lost her voice. What could cause this? It's come on gradually for about 3 months. When she tries to... (16095 views)

Are raisins toxic to cats? Hello, On Monday of this week (today is Wednesday) my cat came up to me while I... (33005 views)

Breeding big and small dogs. My little girl--weight 11 lbs-- got possibly impregnated (accicdentally--he broke... (76489 views)

Vomiting every day. My cat has been throwing up almost every day for weeks but not after feeding. This... (33724 views)

Ear mites? My cat has been scratching at it's ear and itching it. I think he has ear mites. I... (10776 views)

Very sick dog. My dog can't poop and won't eat. He also has puss-like infection coming from his... (10805 views)