Hair loss and hyperthyroidism.

Breed: short-hair
Dear Dr. Marie,
I have had my cat Cody for five years. He was a stray cat who was found behind an animal hospital. They took him in, cleaned him up, and gave him necessary shots. He has been a relatively healthy cat, though he has possible arthritis and other physical difficulties.

Starting around May or June of this year, he started losing fur in little clumps. Recently, that subsided but now he has a few spots on his back that look a little bare. What could be causing this?

FYI: He does have a thyroid disorder and is taking medicine: Methimazole-- 5 mg, 2x a day.

I appreciate whatever advice you can give. Thank you.
Sincerely,
Julie H.

Hi Julie, and thanks for your question.

My first thought when I read your question was to ask whether you have had Cody's thyroid level checked in the last few months. Sometimes a cat's methimazole requirements can change over time. If he is actually getting too much medication this can cause some drastic changes in the coat.

If the spots on his back are mostly over the tail and up the middle of his back then I would recommend treating him with a prescription flea product. Some cats are so allergic to fleas that only one bite will set them off and cause balding in these areas.

Some cats can lose clumps of hair if their body is fighting some other type of medical condition. It would be a great idea to have your vet do some general bloodwork just to be sure that everything is ok.

I hope he does well!

Dog ate dark chocolate. Hi Dr. Marie, I have a 2 year old dachshund. She consumed 2 and 1/2 pieces of... (9171 views)

Housetraining advice for puppy. I need housetraining advice. I got my new puppy a week ago and she is peeing on the... (7888 views)

Abdominal mass in a cat. My husband and I put down our Ivy today. It was rather sudden and unexpected and... (43193 views)

Vulva dermatitis. Good Morning Doctor: My 6 year old Golden(Honey) has an infection around her female... (24572 views)

Cat hair loss. My cat has some blood above both er of her eyes and it looks like the fur fell out.... (48285 views)

Low specific gravity. This is regarding a 9 year old male pitbull, neutered with no past medical history.... (5755 views)

Lymph node enlargement. Lola was diagnosed with stage III-IVa (b cell) lymphoma a few months ago. Today was... (4624 views)

Zodiac safe? Is Zodiac Spot Treatment safe to use on my small dog and... (8888 views)

Blood pressure for a bird. What is a normal Blood pressure for an AFrican Grey Parrot her wing pressure was... (7080 views)

Dog on You Don't Mess with the Zohan. ok im very stressed what type of dog is on the movie You Don't Mess With The Zohan?... (12079 views)