Nosebleed, won't eat.

Breed: lab
We have an 11 yr old black lab. About 2 mos. ago we noticed blood dripping from her nose & took her to the vet. They put a scope up her nose but said it wasn't long enough. Everything they could see looked normal but it looked like a blockage further up. Gave her antibiotics & sent her home. Don't notice much blood anymore but she's getting really thin. She will hardly eat or drink and we haven't seen her go to the bathroom lately. She also has some fairly large growths(1 on her belly, 1 on the back of her neck, 1 by her mouth). Several years ago she had some of these growths removed and they said they were not cancerous. We love her but can't afford to put alot of $ in to her.

Sorry to hear that Cabo is not doing well.

The symptoms you have described have me worried. When a lab doesn't want to eat then there is usually something serious going on.

Has Cabo had any blood work done recently? This may help us to determine if there is a serious problem and if so, what it is.

It sounds like the vet was concerned about a cancer affecting the nose. If this is what is going on it is possible that there is cancer affecting other parts of her body as well. Cancer can cause significant weight loss.

Another possible reason for bleeding from the nose is a problem with platelets. However, if we see platelet issues in an older dog this is often because of either cancer in the bone marrow or cancer in the spleen.

It is also possible that the bleeding in the nose was due to a tooth root infection. This would obviously be a better scenario than cancer. If there was a tooth root infection then we would see some temporary relief with antibiotics but the problem usually comes back again unless the tooth is removed. A tooth root infection could cause her to not eat and to lose weight as well.

It may be hard to decide what to do from here if you have limited funds to spend. Ideally it would be great to do some bloodwork and possibly some xrays to see if the vet can determine what is going on.

If these tests are not in your budget, then the vet can help you with deciding whether it is time to make the difficult decision for euthanasia.

I'm sorry for the bad news.

Not well after vaccines. Had rabies distemper & bord shots fri Gave her frontline & heartguard yest night.... (9676 views)

Cat keeps getting sick. Hi, I have a 4 month old kitten. I found her when she was about two months. I took... (5895 views)

Blood behind dog's ears. I noticed a couple of days ago what looked like mud behind her ears, now it's bloody... (34899 views)

Aggressive cat. I have had 2 cats same amount of time. Julia has started hissing, growling, and... (8648 views)

Kittens not eating or nursing My cat had 5 kittens 5 weeks ago. Recently, she has stopped feeding them and taking... (12986 views)

Problems with Rimadyl? she seems to have paralysis of her front left paw. she can not stand on her own and... (22586 views)

Homeopathic seizure control. I have adopted a dog Jack aged 7. He has seizures which last about 3-5 minutes and... (7437 views)

Swollen lip My cat gets frequent and sudden swelling on her face (her bottom lip usually but... (13780 views)

Hypoallergenic dogs. Dr. Marie, thank you for responding to my recent questions regarding my Pug, Newt. I... (7150 views)

Cat has scabs on neck. Hi! My cat wont stop scratching himself..he is an indoor cat and it just randomly... (12230 views)