Nosebleed, won't eat.

Breed: lab
We have an 11 yr old black lab. About 2 mos. ago we noticed blood dripping from her nose & took her to the vet. They put a scope up her nose but said it wasn't long enough. Everything they could see looked normal but it looked like a blockage further up. Gave her antibiotics & sent her home. Don't notice much blood anymore but she's getting really thin. She will hardly eat or drink and we haven't seen her go to the bathroom lately. She also has some fairly large growths(1 on her belly, 1 on the back of her neck, 1 by her mouth). Several years ago she had some of these growths removed and they said they were not cancerous. We love her but can't afford to put alot of $ in to her.

Sorry to hear that Cabo is not doing well.

The symptoms you have described have me worried. When a lab doesn't want to eat then there is usually something serious going on.

Has Cabo had any blood work done recently? This may help us to determine if there is a serious problem and if so, what it is.

It sounds like the vet was concerned about a cancer affecting the nose. If this is what is going on it is possible that there is cancer affecting other parts of her body as well. Cancer can cause significant weight loss.

Another possible reason for bleeding from the nose is a problem with platelets. However, if we see platelet issues in an older dog this is often because of either cancer in the bone marrow or cancer in the spleen.

It is also possible that the bleeding in the nose was due to a tooth root infection. This would obviously be a better scenario than cancer. If there was a tooth root infection then we would see some temporary relief with antibiotics but the problem usually comes back again unless the tooth is removed. A tooth root infection could cause her to not eat and to lose weight as well.

It may be hard to decide what to do from here if you have limited funds to spend. Ideally it would be great to do some bloodwork and possibly some xrays to see if the vet can determine what is going on.

If these tests are not in your budget, then the vet can help you with deciding whether it is time to make the difficult decision for euthanasia.

I'm sorry for the bad news.

Stopped prednisolone suddenly. Hi Dr. Marie, My 2.5 year old cat, Pebbles, was diagnosed with pretty severe... (20347 views)

Puppy walking in circles. Cj ended. Up missing found him at the shelter his ears(normally lay down) are... (13010 views)

Vomiting and not eating. Buster was throwing up for over two weeks. I had him to an emergency pet hospital,... (22011 views)

Boxer collapsed. Last saturday our female 1 year old boxer collapsed and her gums went very pale. We... (11419 views)

Limping Boxer. My dog is a boxer about 2 yrs old. My son stepped on his paw about a week ago and... (12848 views)

Is mammary tumor cancerous? I'm wondering whether to remove a small tumor from my 7 yr old chihuahua/dachshund's... (5101 views)

Dog has an upset stomach. Hi, (again) Dr. Marie: For the past week, Jammy has been having an upset stomach... (11478 views)

Best cloth bedding for guinea pigs. I wanted to make a new bed for my guinea pig's house (her "nest"). Are there any... (7970 views)

Cat won't eat or drink. Licorice doesn't want to eat much or drink. He is lethargic, but his gums are pink... (21625 views)

Blood in urine after bladder surgery Hello again Dr. Marie. My dog had bladder surgery on Monday. To make a long story... (19633 views)