Nosebleed, won't eat.

Breed: lab
We have an 11 yr old black lab. About 2 mos. ago we noticed blood dripping from her nose & took her to the vet. They put a scope up her nose but said it wasn't long enough. Everything they could see looked normal but it looked like a blockage further up. Gave her antibiotics & sent her home. Don't notice much blood anymore but she's getting really thin. She will hardly eat or drink and we haven't seen her go to the bathroom lately. She also has some fairly large growths(1 on her belly, 1 on the back of her neck, 1 by her mouth). Several years ago she had some of these growths removed and they said they were not cancerous. We love her but can't afford to put alot of $ in to her.

Sorry to hear that Cabo is not doing well.

The symptoms you have described have me worried. When a lab doesn't want to eat then there is usually something serious going on.

Has Cabo had any blood work done recently? This may help us to determine if there is a serious problem and if so, what it is.

It sounds like the vet was concerned about a cancer affecting the nose. If this is what is going on it is possible that there is cancer affecting other parts of her body as well. Cancer can cause significant weight loss.

Another possible reason for bleeding from the nose is a problem with platelets. However, if we see platelet issues in an older dog this is often because of either cancer in the bone marrow or cancer in the spleen.

It is also possible that the bleeding in the nose was due to a tooth root infection. This would obviously be a better scenario than cancer. If there was a tooth root infection then we would see some temporary relief with antibiotics but the problem usually comes back again unless the tooth is removed. A tooth root infection could cause her to not eat and to lose weight as well.

It may be hard to decide what to do from here if you have limited funds to spend. Ideally it would be great to do some bloodwork and possibly some xrays to see if the vet can determine what is going on.

If these tests are not in your budget, then the vet can help you with deciding whether it is time to make the difficult decision for euthanasia.

I'm sorry for the bad news.

Lifespan of a rat? What is the average lifespan of a rat? My rat is 3 years old and very healthy. Is... (9546 views)

Can't bear weight. This isn't my pet, it is my sister in law's pet. Over the past few months, the dog... (9639 views)

Cat is eating less and vomiting. Bernie has been on Royal Canin wet Overweight Management food for awhile. Lately he... (7082 views)

yellow colored diarrhea We have had this puppy for about 2 weeks. The puppies were about 5 weeks when the... (14196 views)

Mom misses puppies. Our boxer had 2 pups both died, she has taken on a stuffed animal replacement but is... (10961 views)

Cat puts her paw on my face. Why does my cat Bruski always put her paw on my face when shes sleeping shell keep... (27605 views)

Peeing in the house. I would like a REAL solution to this, without the standard answers or suggestions(... (11219 views)

Atropine? I live in a tiny town in Nicaragua and there is no vet...just a veterinary food and... (8933 views)

Tramadol not working. He is on Tramodol 50 mg 3x a day plus 80lbs of Metacam for Arthritis. He was put on... (18351 views)

Kitten with runny nose. my kitten has had a runny nose with bad sneezing for 4 weeks now, shes eatting,... (15839 views)