Nosebleed, won't eat.

Breed: lab
We have an 11 yr old black lab. About 2 mos. ago we noticed blood dripping from her nose & took her to the vet. They put a scope up her nose but said it wasn't long enough. Everything they could see looked normal but it looked like a blockage further up. Gave her antibiotics & sent her home. Don't notice much blood anymore but she's getting really thin. She will hardly eat or drink and we haven't seen her go to the bathroom lately. She also has some fairly large growths(1 on her belly, 1 on the back of her neck, 1 by her mouth). Several years ago she had some of these growths removed and they said they were not cancerous. We love her but can't afford to put alot of $ in to her.

Sorry to hear that Cabo is not doing well.

The symptoms you have described have me worried. When a lab doesn't want to eat then there is usually something serious going on.

Has Cabo had any blood work done recently? This may help us to determine if there is a serious problem and if so, what it is.

It sounds like the vet was concerned about a cancer affecting the nose. If this is what is going on it is possible that there is cancer affecting other parts of her body as well. Cancer can cause significant weight loss.

Another possible reason for bleeding from the nose is a problem with platelets. However, if we see platelet issues in an older dog this is often because of either cancer in the bone marrow or cancer in the spleen.

It is also possible that the bleeding in the nose was due to a tooth root infection. This would obviously be a better scenario than cancer. If there was a tooth root infection then we would see some temporary relief with antibiotics but the problem usually comes back again unless the tooth is removed. A tooth root infection could cause her to not eat and to lose weight as well.

It may be hard to decide what to do from here if you have limited funds to spend. Ideally it would be great to do some bloodwork and possibly some xrays to see if the vet can determine what is going on.

If these tests are not in your budget, then the vet can help you with deciding whether it is time to make the difficult decision for euthanasia.

I'm sorry for the bad news.

Questions about Feliway. Am interested in buying Feliway for scratching but need to know the ingredients.... (21425 views)

Big lymph nodes. My dog has swollen lymph nodes for about 15 days now and they are all over his body.... (23851 views)

Why is my dog limping? hello we have just woke up this morning and found my american bulldog limping on his... (44801 views)

Dog ate fertilizer. Hi Dr. Marie, Jake, a 25 lb Border Collie mix ate a small amount of a grass... (48664 views)

Panadol (tylenol) for cat? my cat(3 years) has been drooling non-stop for the past 3 days and wont eat or drink... (7234 views)

Are chicken feces toxic? I've heard that chicken poop is bad for dogs, is this true? if so, what can i do... (102157 views)

Coughin Min Pin. My dog throws up yellow bile, in the mornings, every other month or so. Her stomach... (15493 views)

Milk coming out of squirrel's nose. I have an orphaned squirrel that doesn't have his eyes open yet. He has aspirated... (14510 views)

Corn in dog food. Is corn in dog food bad for him? And I also have a maltese that is 3 years old. Is... (6399 views)

Albendazole for dogs. Can I use Albendazole to deworm my puppy? I have something called Valbazen. Thank... (46922 views)